Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sardior - Gem Dragon Master?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2016 :  21:01:32  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is this guy just a Dragon magazine creation or is there other lore about him somewhere in FR?

I am looking for a Psionic God in any FR timeline...

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2016 :  21:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sardior has been around since the introduction of gem dragons in Dragon #37 and was expanded upon in 2e (and then most prominently in Mark Jindra's psionics articles for 3e.) He isn't a part of the Realms, no.

Auppenser is the human god of psionics in the Realms, as noted in Lost Empires of Faerun. Ed Bonny expanded upon that here: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/leof_main.htm

There are also several non-human deities associated with psionics in the Realms, such as Ilsensine, Deep Duerra, and Diirinka.

Edited by - Arivia on 17 Nov 2016 21:46:35
Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  00:29:30  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never saw that one, cool thanks.

Nothing non-human realy...dragons are just too cool. I liked the idea of a psionic Vassal of Sardior, similar to the Vassal of Bahamut.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  04:41:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume you saw the several Sardior-related articles in the Mind's Eye series over at WotC.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  14:09:56  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did thanks, thats what started me down this path actually. :)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  14:11:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was wondering a few months back if there is a possibility that Auppenser is actually Sardior. The whole him going to sleep and being awakened after a long rest by Mystra does feel kind of draconic.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  15:48:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting theory, sleyvas. I dig it. I was sure Tom sent me some stuff about Auppenser, but I can't seem to find it.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  19:00:47  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! I really like the idea of Sardior being a psionic god, fits my campaign rather nicely. If we could tie him into the previous lore, that would be awesome.

Our main PC is a psion that is Draconic/Half Dragon, would love a tie back to Sardior somehow. Maybe his dragon parent was the Obsidian Dragon Sardior killed and now he is helping the child?
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  19:28:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's my age beginning to show, but I love me a nice long draconic nap.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Nov 2016 19:41:41
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  19:40:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Yawn) I might also recommend checking out Dreamscarred's The Seventh Path. Kind of a psionic necromancer. That was the obsidian dragon's schtick iirc.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Nov 2016 19:42:40
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  05:48:19  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sardior is mentioned in the Al Qadim product Secrets of the Lamp, but it was in reference to him visiting the court of the Djinn Caliph on the Elemental Plane of Air (and again in the Inner Planes Planescape supplement), which I believe was the first official mention of him. It wasn't until 3rd Edition that he officially became a deity and had any sort of write-up, which was posted on WotC's site. I don't know if it is still up there.

I wrote up my take on him using the 2nd Edition Faiths & Avatars format here:
http://blog.aulddragon.com/2016/09/sardior-the-ruby-dragon/

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  23:04:27  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, seems like Ioulaum / Oracle of Ellyn’taal might be a good way to tie back to Sardior.

Auppenser is actually Sardior in human form...or the new god of Psionics since Auppenser goes to "sleep"
The Oracle of Ellyn'tall ( In my game this is Ioulaums new persona) is the great psionic mystic, Laszik Silvermind of Dhinnilith reborn - Is he Sardior in human form maybe?. Maybe something like he comes back in "times of great need" and once the peril is over or what not, he "ascends back to Sardior's side."

Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2016 :  20:15:49  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found Ed Bonny's posts about Jhammdath and the udoxias feat/item. NICE!

A Psionic Mythal! I HAVE to tie that in...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000