Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pirates of the Fallen Stars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  20:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ahoy and well met!

So I'm starting up a 1375-1384ish campaign soon that revolves around a group of privateers (the PCs) in the (at least ostensible) employ of the kingdom of Cormyr.

They're a crew of buccaneers sailing the waters of the Sea of Fallen Stars, preying on Sembian/Netherese ships, killing pirates, rooting out conspiracies against the Crown, and seeking out treasures for the treasury of the Purple Dragon (and a modest cut). They make their main berth in Westgate, which is where their Cormyrean highknight contact meets up with them and gives them missions for the crown.

I have a few ideas for potential story hooks and adventures (Night Masks, cold war with Cormyr and Netheril, sahuagin vs. aquatic elves, etc.), but you guys give me great ideas, and I'd love to open it up to suggestions. What challenges might they face? What intrigues should they find themselves in too deep? What sunken treasures should they discover--and what guardians might await?

They start at 8th level, so appropriate challenges are a plus.

Cheers

EDIT: Oh, and if you're Brian James, you're the cleric in the party and you should stop reading now!

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 18 Mar 2011 20:47:03

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  20:57:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they ever run afoul of a woman from Ixinos; you could start a love-interest/conflict-of-interest when someone they have been tracking for a long time is just on the horizon and they are closing fast...only to find that the Ixinos Woman has hammered the hell out of the ship leaving none aboard alive.

HOWEVER...the one they are tracking is ANOTHER woman that was simply taken prisoner aboard the Ixinos ship...the party has to go to the Island of the Warrior-Women to try and get her so they can get the information they need.

They don't even have to go to Ixinos...maybe catch the ship at port in Turmish?

What rules set are you using?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:15:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a major background plot, you could have them discover clues about 'the Ancients'. Supposedly, there was a giant kingdom existing where the sea is today, and not that far back in time, either (the Elves of Cormanthyr may have had dealings with it - I forget the exact details). I think most of that info is in the PotFS source, but there may be other bits I don't recall in SoFS.

The Cyclopskin are apparently a vestige of that culture - you should start there, i guess. (Although I think they would have been servitors of the true Giant Empire that was there). The material is vague enough for you to do anything with it, including connecting it to a Fey/Fomorian kingdom that vanished (to the feywild?), or the Cloud Kingdom mentioned in the EE Stonelands booklet. It's a really great plothook that was never developed 9which is great for DMs, BTW).

If you go that route, you may want to scour the Eberron Xendrik source for 'ancient giant ruins' inspiration.

EDIT: Two maps you may find useful -

Sea of Fallen Stars Blank - my own modified version (the sea wound-up smaller after I tweaked the map to conform better to the 2e one). I never did finish this one (note the coastal shading).

Seros - I placed the undersea locales as best as possible on the 3e map (which was harder then it looked).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Mar 2011 21:29:41
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With them being based in Westgate, you could also have the players get caught up in some of the intrigues of the vampire Manshoon clone.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:28:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pirate campaign, yarr! Can I play? Y'know, Seattle's only a few hours away from here ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:28:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

With them being based in Westgate, you could also have the players get caught up in some of the intrigues of the vampire Manshoon clone.

I like that idea too...though (and I'm sorry to do a partial hijack here) how in the hells did a vampire get through Temporal Stasis to make the Clone a Vampire anyway?

As for a major plot hook...the Manshoon Vampire might be trying to exert control over the Pirates!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:31:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vampirates?

You may also want to look through the 7th Sea/Swashbuckling Adventures books for more ideas, items, Feats, etc (SA is the OGL version of 7th sea).

I always wanted to run a pirate campaign, but I couldn't find a group interested enough in adventuring on the high seas.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Mar 2011 21:36:14
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:44:56  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd do something tricky. For example, who says the person who hired them really works for Cormyr? Perhaps they are being hired to make Cormyr look bad, or even to drag them into a war...

When they find that out, they have to go after the person responsible in order to stop the war... Or save their own necks... Or for lots of gold... Whatever motivates them.

Perhaps when they capture a ship, they find more than they bargained for. There might be someone or something important on the ship, and it was undermanned so as not to raise suspicion. They just happened upon it by accident. They could uncover a secret plot, find a powerful item, accidentally kidnap the beautiful heir to some land... I don't know.

I think the more you can layer mystery in the better. I mean, pirates are good for hack and slash, but that gets old real quick.

[Hope that makes sense. I'm a little fuzzy.]

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  21:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh there is definitely intrigue, my friends. It's hardly clear if they truly serve Cormyr's interests, or someone else's--either instead, or as well. In fact, one of the PCs . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

3.5, with a little bit of Pathfinder/4e thrown in for style.

I also enjoy drawing on the old school sources--Brian's lending me his print copies of Cloak and Dagger and Sea of Fallen Stars, as I lack those myself. (Sounds like shopping in my near future!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  22:43:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a print copy of Demi-human Deities? I have two, and the second one is pristine (bought it by accident).

Anyhow, I REALLY like Brynweir's suggestion: that the High-Knight is a double-agent for someone else.

Nothing that need to affect the campaign straight-off; it should be someone who merely 'reports back' to someone else (maybe he has gambling debts ) As the campaign progresses, this situation could change to a more active role (in foiling the PCs).

They could find out that the reason why all of their missions kept getting them in 'hot water' (excuse the pun) was because they were being set-up the whole time, but to their credit (and the baddies amazement), they kept coming back!

I also have a copy of Bireme & Galley which was a naval supplement for the C&S game (the BEST RPG rules ever written, IMHO), so if you need any nitty-gritty details about specific ship types I can provide them.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Mar 2011 22:49:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  00:57:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what might be a fun thing? If you're looking to take your adventurers below the waves, maybe they could be opposing a Shade expedition into a previously unknown (and likely rather minor) outpost of Deep Netheril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  01:20:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd swing it another way and suggest that hangers-on of the Deepwater War sought refuge in the Sea of Fallen Stars. Now Cormyr is finding its shipping lanes plagued by sahuagin and other deep sea creatures looking to reclaim some lost glory from their failed campaign against the Sword Coast.

For intrigue, have one of the nobles of Cormyr assisting the sahuagin by supplying them with information about strategically important shipping lanes. Perhaps the noble is looking to isolate a region of the Forest Kingdom in the hopes of setting up his own semi-independent little fiefdom along the coast... foolishly believing that he can maintain command of the sahuagin as his army against incursions by either the Purple or Blue Dragons.

What the noble doesn't realise, however, is that the sahaugin are USING him for some unknown and sinister purpose!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  07:31:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Oh there is definitely intrigue, my friends. It's hardly clear if they truly serve Cormyr's interests, or someone else's--either instead, or as well. In fact, one of the PCs . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

3.5, with a little bit of Pathfinder/4e thrown in for style.

I also enjoy drawing on the old school sources--Brian's lending me his print copies of Cloak and Dagger and Sea of Fallen Stars, as I lack those myself. (Sounds like shopping in my near future!)

Cheers

If you are using 3.5/Pathfinder; the Ixinos Write-Up that Markus and I did, with heaps of help from others too, might have a few ideas in it you could use. Even if you don't want to use the island, the She Wolves mercenaries are a group that works against the pirates A LOT, and they are strictly canon. With the year being later, you could make the group anything you like as far as membership...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  08:36:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd swing it another way and suggest that hangers-on of the Deepwater War sought refuge in the Sea of Fallen Stars. Now Cormyr is finding its shipping lanes plagued by sahuagin and other deep sea creatures looking to reclaim some lost glory from their failed campaign against the Sword Coast.

For intrigue, have one of the nobles of Cormyr assisting the sahuagin by supplying them with information about strategically important shipping lanes. Perhaps the noble is looking to isolate a region of the Forest Kingdom in the hopes of setting up his own semi-independent little fiefdom along the coast... foolishly believing that he can maintain command of the sahuagin as his army against incursions by either the Purple or Blue Dragons.

What the noble doesn't realise, however, is that the sahaugin are USING him for some unknown and sinister purpose!

I'm just not feeling Sahuagin in that role. Locathah, maybe, but Sahuagin don't seem like the type to bother making deals with anyone.

Perhaps a cult trying to bring back Iakhovas...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  10:44:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

I'm just not feeling Sahuagin in that role. Locathah, maybe, but Sahuagin don't seem like the type to bother making deals with anyone.

Perhaps a cult trying to bring back Iakhovas...

That works just as well.

I simply used sahuagin as a basis for the concept, because Erik mentioned he'd like to use them in his campaign, as he stated in his opening post.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Mar 2011 10:45:57
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  14:37:40  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the idea of a dandy nobleman who is secretly the captain of a rather ruthless band of were-rat pirates (think The Scarlet Pimpernel). Just one of those ideas written down in my DM's notebook during a campaign brainstorming session that I never got around to fleshing out or using...

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  14:46:18  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll suggest a few classic (and not so classic) elements of pirate story that I think need to be tackled in a succesful pirate campaign.

The Ship
This one is major. Name the ship! The ship is as much of a character as any NPC is. Handout its exact layout, speed, carrying capacity, etc.

The Crew
A motley crew of NPC's is essential in sailing a larger ship, as I think your party (I assume 4 to 6 players) would not be able to handle all the meriad of tasks that are required for that by themselves. These typically include a captain (naturally), a first and second mate (sometimes called quartermaster), a boatswain (representative for the rowers and responsable for the rigging, sails and hull), a head archer or artillery mage (commandeering a contingent of archers or battlemages), a carpenter (for the wellbeing of the ship), a cook, a priest or surgeon (for all those saberwounds, rended limbs, ilnesses and other nasty things that a pirate can accrue during his work), a cooper (maker of barrels to store booty) and a musician (for entertainment on long and uneventful travels).

The Waters
The Sea of the Fallen Stars spans alot of climate zones, and describing the traits of the waters is a great way of showing where the pirates are travelling. The coldests waters likely form around the estuaries of the meltwater rivers of the Great Glacier, so the Dragon Reach and the Eastern Reach each should have very deep (600 meters) and cold (2 to 7 degrees Celsius) waters prone to formations of springtime mealstroms (when newly melted icewater is discharged in large quantities into the larger bays of the Sea of the Fallen Stars).

The main body of water in the Sea of the Fallen Stars is quite shallow for a sea (I think it is comparable to the Southern Caspian Seas average depth of 187 meters), making it subject to relativly fast temperature changes. The more eastern parts (the coasts of Thesk where the icecomet first impacted Fearun) may be very shallow (only 5 meters!) risking stranding larger vessels. The Pirates Isles also form a well placed barrier preventing waves from gaining enough energy to get great height so compared to the Sword Coast these waters are relatively calm.

The Southern Bays (The Dragon Coast, Bay of Chessenta, Alamber Sea) are likely to be dominated by deep cooler waters, ofset by sedimental flats at the end of river estuaries submerged in warmer waters. This area has the most trafic because of its relatively stable waterways. Obviously these are the hotspots for piracy. The only real problem are the seasonal storms that can scatter even the largerst seafaring vessels like dinky toys.

The Rivals
A major part of pirate tales revolves around a race against a certain rival ship and pirate company for a treasure or what not. The more outlandish the rival the better (for example redsailed kara-turan Atakebune crewed by ninja pirates helmed by the one-eyed ronin Isoroko Yamamoto or Zhakaran ramming biremes crewed by double rowed ogres led by a ruthless zhakaran drow captain Zalamiz Chylos )

The Booty
The main goods that are shipped acros the Sea of the Fallen Stars are the listed in FRCG and are as follows:
Copper, Iron, Slaves, Spices, Wood, Grains, Herbs, Fruits, Cheese, Gems, Gold, Glass and Cloth.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 19 Mar 2011 15:01:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  15:25:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

I've always liked the idea of a dandy nobleman who is secretly the captain of a rather ruthless band of were-rat pirates (think The Scarlet Pimpernel). Just one of those ideas written down in my DM's notebook during a campaign brainstorming session that I never got around to fleshing out or using...

I prefer weresharks. They jump overboard, shark out, swim over the other ship, go back to human form, sneak aboard and wreak havoc.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  15:25:47  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
/steps into the light
/puts on Liam Neeson's voice

Release the Kraken!!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  15:43:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I prefer weresharks. They jump overboard, shark out, swim over the other ship, go back to human form, sneak aboard and wreak havoc.

Weresharks never get enough page-time, IMO. In fact, any were-sea creatures could work just as well here.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Mar 2011 15:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  16:09:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Weresharks never get enough page-time, IMO. In fact, any were-sea creatures could work just as well here.

Within reason. Who's going to take a were-manatee seriously?

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  18:12:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a pack of Seawolf Lycanthrope Pirates aboard the ship Feeding Frenzy.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 19 Mar 2011 18:16:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  23:12:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no! A school of dreaded were-shrimp!

I loved in PotC how the undead pirates attacked, by walking on the bottom of the sea. In reality, they would have needed weighted shoes (in case you want to use this). The vampirates we discussed earlier could pull that off as well (or anything that doesn't need to breath, for that matter).

OH! And an eye of the deep! I always liked those, but you never see them used.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Mar 2011 13:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  23:19:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a group of do-gooders who are out to stamp out any sort of "evil"...such as what the party might have done that was evil in their eyes.

Even better...a group of "good guys" that are directed against the party by someone the party did wrong...Nothing like having a Paladin after you with religious fire in his eyes!

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  07:04:20  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh! I love these ideas. Might just use a few in my own pirate isles.....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  13:52:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - if you are a fan of bad puns (and badder references), have an 'old sea-salt' refer to the ocean as 'the jonny depths' rather then 'the briny depths', as a local euphemism. As in, "Arrrr.. he ran 'em through, he did... sent him to the jonny depths!"

In my old Greyhawk Campaign, the rural folk of Geoff (who I gave a real redneck accent) referred to giants as 'billies'.

And of course, they really hated the 'hill billies'.

Yeahhhhhh... I was THAT DM.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Mar 2011 13:55:16
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  14:17:16  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an old Dungeon adventure involving a paladin who gets turned into a were-eel. I'll try and find the issue #. It's a great story to have running alongside the PCs.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  02:48:56  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about looking for the legendary treasure horde of the infamous pirate leader, Immurk the Invincible?

Have your PCs come across a piece of the treasure map. To locate the treasure, they must reconstruct the treasure map from different pieces scattered over the Sea of Fallen Stars. Of course, all the different fragments will be in different, difficult to reach locations, for example:

• On board the flagship of a current pirate lord; the PCs must sneak into the heavily defending buccaneer stronghold at Earthspur to retrieve it.
• In the hoard of a local dragon; I vaguely recall mention of powerful fang and topaz dragons lairing around the Sea of Fallen Stars in the 2nd edition campaign set.
• Another piece might be in possession of the Night Masks of Westgate.
• Somewhere underwater, as over sages have already suggested.
• Perhaps the final piece could be under lock and key in Suzail, sequestered there by a Cormyrean Freesail following the pirate king’s defeat. In order to get it the PCs must either perform some service for the Crown of Cormyr or steal it from under the Purple Dragon’s nose.

Maybe the PCs will first need to track down one of Immurk’s old crewmates (a demihuman could conceivably be still alive, or a wizard companion who prolonged his life by magic) in order to find clues as to the whereabouts of the pieces. As the campaign progresses, and they get closer to the treasure, they’ll have to contend with other interested parties after the gold. Maybe the treasure even contains some powerful artefact that Immurk used to inspire loyalty in the pirate captains when he was king.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  02:49:41  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a similar theme, there's also this on the Wizards website:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/al/20040804a
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  20:38:41  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good detailed map of a pirate isle with a rough taverns and brothels. Every Pirate needs a place to spend all their loot. Perhaps some Noble supports the isle and the cause. Whose ships will they be attacking.

Make several opposing Pirate Brotherhood with Powerful Deadly Sea Captains. Flag designs are important to identify who you might be about to attack. Alliances and Rivals make for a nasty twist in the intrigues upon the sea.

One must throw some daring Law Enforcers or rough Mercenaries who protect the shipping lanes. Don't forget the extremely cruel Law Enforcers who will chain the pirates to rocks and await the high tide to drown them.

What Merchant Coasters are up for grabs and who will pay the highest ransoms or support piracy on the competition. Do your pirates cut off a prisoners hand with a ring of Noble on it and send it to Port as proof of who might being held? A Captain has to have some good contacts to sell the stolen goods.

Once you build up the npc groups look at the Underwater communities, Organizations, and Creatures. These will lead you to the ancient lores scattered below the salty waves or ship wrecked on deadly isles.

There is that lone lost island, those hidden treasures, and the crew that never came back. Where do these old maps lead? Who else is looking? Why are Nobles out here?

Duels for leader-ship are important and everyone does their share of work. There would be an unspoken code that holds these ruthless cutthroats together. Those who don't agree will be tossed over board or fished with!

How many ships will the roughest Pirate Crew hold? It's one thing to be attacked by a pirate vessel. It's another to have five pirate ships attack, two of them are much quicker on the sea than others. Does the captain throw all of the surrendered crew to the sharks and then take that ship filling it with pirates under his control?

Here in the land of Black Beard all these things come to my mind...

yep those are the basics...

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  20:59:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrekan

A good detailed map of a pirate isle with a rough taverns and brothels. Every Pirate needs a place to spend all their loot. Perhaps some Noble supports the isle and the cause. Whose ships will they be attacking.

Make several opposing Pirate Brotherhood with Powerful Deadly Sea Captains. Flag designs are important to identify who you might be about to attack. Alliances and Rivals make for a nasty twist in the intrigues upon the sea.

One must throw some daring Law Enforcers or rough Mercenaries who protect the shipping lanes. Don't forget the extremely cruel Law Enforcers who will chain the pirates to rocks and await the high tide to drown them.

What Merchant Coasters are up for grabs and who will pay the highest ransoms or support piracy on the competition. Do your pirates cut off a prisoners hand with a ring of Noble on it and send it to Port as proof of who might being held? A Captain has to have some good contacts to sell the stolen goods.

Once you build up the npc groups look at the Underwater communities, Organizations, and Creatures. These will lead you to the ancient lores scattered below the salty waves or ship wrecked on deadly isles.

There is that lone lost island, those hidden treasures, and the crew that never came back. Where do these old maps lead? Who else is looking? Why are Nobles out here?

Duels for leader-ship are important and everyone does their share of work. There would be an unspoken code that holds these ruthless cutthroats together. Those who don't agree will be tossed over board or fished with!

How many ships will the roughest Pirate Crew hold? It's one thing to be attacked by a pirate vessel. It's another to have five pirate ships attack, two of them are much quicker on the sea than others. Does the captain throw all of the surrendered crew to the sharks and then take that ship filling it with pirates under his control?

Here in the land of Black Beard all these things come to my mind...

yep those are the basics...

You are in South Carolina?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000