Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Why did Kaanyr Vhok want to enter the lifesprin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  05:32:16  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Why was Vhok so desperate to bathe in the lifespring within the House of the Triad? According to the books, the lifespring can enhance charisma and leadership qualities. Surely there are easier ways to go about this, unless the advantages provided by the lifespring are huge.

So what specifically are the powers granted by the lifespring?

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2016 :  19:52:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess it would be an effect akin to a rod of rulership, maybe combined with beguiling.
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  06:52:39  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that too, but somehow that seems to cut and dry. Also, Kaanyr Vhok seems a bit optimistic about just walking into Sundabar and having the people just overthrow their king on his behalf. Taurus seems more circumspect.

Vhok: "It is a wellspring of golden waters that brims with the energy and power of godhood. Though it would not make me a god, it would grant me the power to rule like I have never had before. With that magic at my command, I could enter Sundabar not as a mere conqueror but as a beloved leader, a sovereign worth worshiping. The people would cast out Helm Dwarf-friend, pull him from his throne, and kneel before me in adoration, never wondering why at all."

Taurus: "I cannot promise that each and every one of them will be enslaved to your charms, but your influence and charisma will be august."

Obviously Taurus would have a better idea of what the lifespring can do than Vhok. Therefore I offer this as a possibility.

Powers granted by the lifespring.

Once bathing in the lifespring, the bather's charisma is now set at a base 25 Charisma. This is considered the character's starting charisma before ability score adjustments or level gain increases.

The bather gains the following feats, even if he does not normally qualify for them:

Leadership, Improved Cohort, Practiced Cohort, Inspirational Leadership, Might Makes Right, Epic Leadership, and Legendary Commander.

Alignment: Bathers in the lifespring have their alignment changed one step towards lawful. If already lawful, alignment moves one step towards good. If already lawful and good, no change.

Edited by - redking on 12 Sep 2016 06:53:49
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  13:29:10  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redking

I was thinking that too, but somehow that seems to cut and dry. Also, Kaanyr Vhok seems a bit optimistic about just walking into Sundabar and having the people just overthrow their king on his behalf. Taurus seems more circumspect.

Vhok: "It is a wellspring of golden waters that brims with the energy and power of godhood. Though it would not make me a god, it would grant me the power to rule like I have never had before. With that magic at my command, I could enter Sundabar not as a mere conqueror but as a beloved leader, a sovereign worth worshiping. The people would cast out Helm Dwarf-friend, pull him from his throne, and kneel before me in adoration, never wondering why at all."

Taurus: "I cannot promise that each and every one of them will be enslaved to your charms, but your influence and charisma will be august."

Obviously Taurus would have a better idea of what the lifespring can do than Vhok. Therefore I offer this as a possibility.

Powers granted by the lifespring.

Once bathing in the lifespring, the bather's charisma is now set at a base 25 Charisma. This is considered the character's starting charisma before ability score adjustments or level gain increases.

The bather gains the following feats, even if he does not normally qualify for them:

Leadership, Improved Cohort, Practiced Cohort, Inspirational Leadership, Might Makes Right, Epic Leadership, and Legendary Commander.

Alignment: Bathers in the lifespring have their alignment changed one step towards lawful. If already lawful, alignment moves one step towards good. If already lawful and good, no change.

I would have been interested to see that in effect. Dwarves are awfully stubborn, and Vhok was an orc (who dwarves have an eternal hatred of) mixed with demonic blood. I can't imagine how much charisma it would take to have a city of dwarves accept his rule.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  16:33:08  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did you glean that Kaanyr was orc-blood, Lilianviaten? All the sources that I can recall only name him as marqui cambion. I guess I never gave much thought to his mortal stock. In fact, the more I think about it, wasn't he Tanta Hagara's get?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 12 Sep 2016 16:36:01
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  13:52:17  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also curious, for unless this was retconned, the 2e Hellgate Keep entry on Vhok says:

"As the son of a true tanar'ri and a human father, Kaanyr Vhok is a marquis
cambion, though he looks different from other Realms-bound cambions.
Most observers see only his light olive complexion and silver-gray
hair and believe him to be an aging half-elf due to his pointed ears, but
beneath Kaanyr's rich clothes and cloak, his chest, upper arms, and legs
are covered with deeper green scales as his tanar'ri legacy.
"

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 15 Sep 2016 13:53:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  21:19:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
remember, just because someone says it doesn't make it true until it happens. Vhok could simply have been misinformed.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  01:32:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Where did you glean that Kaanyr was orc-blood, Lilianviaten? All the sources that I can recall only name him as marqui cambion. I guess I never gave much thought to his mortal stock. In fact, the more I think about it, wasn't he Tanta Hagara's get?

No, he "married" Tanta Hagara when her forces marched on Hellgate Keep, eliminating any threat and adding to his following. He bred the tannaruks using orcs and demons as I recall so that might be where you thought he had orc blood.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11700 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  02:07:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

No, he "married" Tanta Hagara when her forces marched on Hellgate Keep, eliminating any threat and adding to his following. He bred the tannaruks using orcs and demons as I recall so that might be where you thought he had orc blood.

-- George Krashos

Wait, seriously? Vhok married a hag? I get the succubus.... well, I guess hags can shapechange....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  08:32:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She became his consort but Helgate Keep made it clear that it was a "marriage of convenience" with no bumping uglies (literally) involved.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  11:00:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or he is a freak like that!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Sep 2016 11:01:11
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  19:25:16  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Wait, seriously? Vhok married a hag? I get the succubus.... well, I guess hags can shapechange....

She could... And she presented herself as a "stunningly beautiful, barbaric hunter goddess (with sky-blue skin) or a blue-furred bear". Some harpers revealed she was an annis hag to the Blue Bear tribe members, but instead of rejecting her they saw it as a good omen, for she got stronger, and kept following her.

Vhok, the son of one of the three mariliths which ruled the Keep then (for a short time, due to his schemes), got married to Hagara to join the forces of the Keep with the barbarians.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page