Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 lightning striking sand
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

realmslore2000
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  19:28:25  Show Profile Send realmslore2000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fulgurite is the effect when lightning strikes sand and creates "sand glass"...what I'm wondering is what, if any, magical or alchemical items can be made from or by this substance?

A material component for a call lightning spell?
What would the hardness be?

I'm an idea maker, not a writer

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2016 :  23:33:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tentative responses if these questions were asked in my campaigns... with the expectation that further questions will result in more specific answers.

Fulgurites can be used in the same ways other forms of glass can. Anything that can be made of glass can be fashioned from fulgurites. So weapons and armor are fair game, using the same magical means of agglomerating and hardening that are used in making glass armor and weapons. Vials, bottles, and all other sorts of containers are also possible. Spyglasses, on the other hand... probably not very good.

A material component for a lightning-related spell sounds like a good use, but it should be limited to particular types of storms. Given the way that fulgurites form, and the fact that sediment is incorporated into it, it doesn't suggest that a wet thunderstorm could be controlled (or not as effectively) if a fulgurite was used as the material component. In contrast, perhaps complete control over a sandstorm-spawned lightning bolt/storm can *only* be achieved with a fulgurite, with a piece of clear glass having diminished effects.

The hardness logically depends on the answer to the question of whether the inclusion of sediment makes the fulgurite stronger, or weaker, than other types of glass. I'm comfortable saying "stronger" for a fantasy world without the scientific knowledge of the facts on Earth, so for *my* games I'm inclined to say the hardness of a fulgurite is 5-25% greater than that of glass, and the hp per unit of thickness is 25-50% greater.

Just my 2 coppers.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2016 :  09:20:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, the big question is whether further smelting removes any unusual qualities fulgurites presumably could have. If yes, this leaves material components and embedding into items "as is" - wand/staff tips, core of an amulet wrapped in silver, etc.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000