Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The End?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  16:07:37  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Am I the only one who wants Salvatore to move on to something new in the Realms?

I really liked the Cleric's Quintet books, so I'd love to see Salvatore writing about new characters, but I also like Drizzt.

So what I'd really like is for him to write new books in addition to Drizzt books. If the two RAS books per year thing is to continue, it could be one book per series.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  18:47:37  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depending on the events of the final Homecoming book, I imagine he might move into a different area. While I wouldn't mind seeing more info on Gauntlgrym, I'm kind of getting burnt out on Drizzt and Co. in the North. Wouldn't mind seeing them go after Regis and Wulfgar.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  04:52:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:

Am I the only one who wants Salvatore to move on to something new in the Realms?

I really liked the Cleric's Quintet books, so I'd love to see Salvatore writing about new characters, but I also like Drizzt.

So what I'd really like is for him to write new books in addition to Drizzt books. If the two RAS books per year thing is to continue, it could be one book per series.

Even with the Cleric Quintet, Salvatore couldn't resist tying them into the Drizzt storyline.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  06:01:32  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Even with the Cleric Quintet, Salvatore couldn't resist tying them into the Drizzt storyline.

Realistically, WOTC isn't going to let him write anything without somehow tying it back to Drizzt. There's too much money to be potentially lost. But the Cleric Quintet and the Sellswords series were both proof that RAS can write very compelling characters and stories that don't include Drizzt.

I'd really like to see Afafrenfere and Ambergris traveling on their merry way, kicking butt and taking names. As much as I love the drow and their current storyline in Menzo, there are so many other villains and other areas that could use exploration.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  09:23:00  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't see a problem with him having them interact after Cadderly's story was done.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 21 Feb 2016 11:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Zanthox
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  11:16:52  Show Profile Send Zanthox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would seem very strange to go through so much work to bring Drizzt and the rest of the Companions of the Hall through the time jump of 5E to end it now - at the very least he will continue with the various other characters he has been following for so long now.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  13:18:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

quote:

quote:

But the Cleric Quintet and the Sellswords series were both proof that RAS can write very compelling characters and stories that don't include Drizzt.

I LOVED the Cleric Quintet ... and then latter rolled my eyes when he connected it to Drizzt, LLC.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Hutchimus
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  20:09:08  Show Profile Send Hutchimus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still nothing on Netgalley for Maestro.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  01:56:45  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hutchimus

I was just thinking about this too. Is it too soon to say that they'll probably not be doing an ARC for Maestro? If not, any speculation as to why that might be?
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  06:54:12  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

quote:
Originally posted by Hutchimus

I was just thinking about this too. Is it too soon to say that they'll probably not be doing an ARC for Maestro? If not, any speculation as to why that might be?

Could it be because it contains something really major, and they dont want to spoil it with rumours and leaks. But that's just my thoughts about it.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  13:41:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably an oversight. ARC's are all about marketing.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  14:13:56  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read RAS books since high school... and I'm near my forties now. How well do these books read as grown up adults? I'm looking for honest opinions here, weighed against other available stuff like Game of Thrones which I won't even bring myself to read past book 3...
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  14:52:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The books have "matured", if you will, though in some ways that has actually been kind of annoying

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  15:41:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I haven't read RAS books since high school... and I'm near my forties now. How well do these books read as grown up adults? I'm looking for honest opinions here, weighed against other available stuff like Game of Thrones which I won't even bring myself to read past book 3...

With Salvatore books (and all Realms books) I take the approach of reading them for a quick fix of fun. I don't think they are as enjoyable as they were when you were a younger reader, ESPECIALLY if you have branched out into the fantasy genre and read stuff like Malazan Book of the Fallen, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the First Law.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  15:42:21  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

The books have "matured", if you will, though in some ways that has actually been kind of annoying

Agree completely. The insertion of sex and mild language into shared-world fantasy just doesn't work for me.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  16:15:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially with the Drizzt books. Drizzt became this lusty male once he got with Dahlia, and it was rather irritating, since that was another thing that set him apart.

Sex and mild language work in the right story. The Drizzt books are not the right story

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  18:39:46  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last one I read long long ago was that one with Entreri and Jarlaxle in the Bloodstone Lands. If it wasn't for that appearance by that old timey monk from AD&D 1st Edition, I would have not completed the book. Only by inserting an iconic legendary Realms guy in there did I want to finish to see what would happen. I was obsessed by maintaining my canon lore back then, you see... I was completely unaware that they were planning the demise of the Realms and do that rocky horror time warp, you see..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000