Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ashes of the Tyrant? - No Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  22:42:41  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been having a really hard time getting through this novel. I'm not sure if it's because my interest in the Realms is becoming spoiled due to frustration with WoTC or if it's the novel itself. To be honest, I've never taken much interest in the Tiefling twins stories, but I've always loved Mrs. Evans' writing. This latest novel seems to focus very much on the various romances going on while the main plot just seems to be just background stuff.

Again, maybe it's just my overall failing interest in the Realms. I'm curious of other's thoughts on this one. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and need a different point of view. Part of me really wants to see Mrs. Evans write about something else just to get a break from the Twins and Dragonborn. Kind of like Salvatore taking a break from Drizzt now and again.

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  22:34:46  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always struggled to get through Erin's works. The whole teenage romance crap is just crap to me, but I really like reading Realms books plus she writes really good stuff with the Hells and the battles. But the MC is this 17 year old girl who is supposed to be 'in love' with either a 40ish (if not more) year old Cambion or a 30ish fallen paladin... I honestly never bought either of those romances. The other sister's romance was fine for me before Erin aged the male noble almost 10 years older than Havi. Then it got a weird when I was going through everyone ages. All of that really makes it hard for me to read her books. So it might not be your failing interest in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  23:39:47  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

I have always struggled to get through Erin's works. The whole teenage romance crap is just crap to me, but I really like reading Realms books plus she writes really good stuff with the Hells and the battles. But the MC is this 17 year old girl who is supposed to be 'in love' with either a 40ish (if not more) year old Cambion or a 30ish fallen paladin... I honestly never bought either of those romances. The other sister's romance was fine for me before Erin aged the male noble almost 10 years older than Havi. Then it got a weird when I was going through everyone ages. All of that really makes it hard for me to read her books. So it might not be your failing interest in the Realms.

Yeah, I am starting to skim through the romance sections of the book. Needless to say I'm doing a lot of skimming. And I guess we'll see how my interest is holding once Maestro comes out......that is if I can find an eBook for less than $15. If not? Well I guess I won't be reading anymore Realms novels.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2016 :  06:23:08  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are aspects of Erin's work that I can't say enough good things about, but the tiefling romance element is definitely not one of them. It reminds me of the Sweet Valley High books that I'd read as a kid, except the girls have horns and tails. I saw a review that speculated that perhaps the Brimstone Angel books are targeting a younger audience, and I can't help but agree based solely on the romance elements. I'll admit that I haven't really been thinking about how relatively complex the other elements are to really comment on the target audience further.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  05:48:01  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, Farideh's not 17.

I'm the first two books she is. So is Brin. Dahl's 20 and Lorcan has no idea how old he is, but he's terrible regardless.

The time jump ages everyone. So Farideh and Havilar are 25, so is Brin, and Dahl's 28. The gentlemen have been emotionally stunted through various traumas. And Lorcan's still terrible. As of Fire in the Blood, Farideh and Havilar are 26, presumably so is Brin, Dahl would be 29, and everybody's ground through enough emotional trauma to mature somewhat. And Lorcan's still immortal and terrible.

None of that means you have to like it. But it shouldn't be because of uncomfortable age differences.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  20:32:53  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Uh, Farideh's not 17.

I'm the first two books she is. So is Brin. Dahl's 20 and Lorcan has no idea how old he is, but he's terrible regardless.

The time jump ages everyone. So Farideh and Havilar are 25, so is Brin, and Dahl's 28. The gentlemen have been emotionally stunted through various traumas. And Lorcan's still terrible. As of Fire in the Blood, Farideh and Havilar are 26, presumably so is Brin, Dahl would be 29, and everybody's ground through enough emotional trauma to mature somewhat. And Lorcan's still immortal and terrible.

None of that means you have to like it. But it shouldn't be because of uncomfortable age differences.

Wait, I thought the time jump didn't affect the twins? Weren't they in stasis on something? Regardless, I'm not a fan of applying modern moral and social standards to fantasy fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  00:50:06  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the twins awake there's a whole segment about them not feeling right until they understand that they aged during those seven years..

Though, mentally, they were still 17 of course. Farideh acts more mature, but Havilar was still pretty childish.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  02:09:49  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

When the twins awake there's a whole segment about them not feeling right until they understand that they aged during those seven years..

Though, mentally, they were still 17 of course. Farideh acts more mature, but Havilar was still pretty childish.

Oh you're right. I forgot about that part. Thanks for clarifying.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  07:14:29  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I loved this book. For me, the ongoing relationship issues were the most interesting & strongest part of it (along with all the drama of Brin vs. his kin - love his Granny! ). This kind of detail about personal relationships makes the story & characters seem more 'real', set as it is in a fantasy world with dragons etc.

I also liked the vivid descriptions of the dragonborn city & society. Really brought them to life.

Keep up the good work, Erin!

Edit: meant Dahl, not Brin. D'oh!

Edited by - BenN on 15 Mar 2016 11:51:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000