Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 5E Characters background story
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stealthwhisper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  10:34:53  Show Profile Send Stealthwhisper a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all :)

Me and my friends are about to play Out of the Abyss. We are returning to the Realms after we took a break from it for the time 4E was out.

I am the DM and my players ask me for some background information about the world so it will help them create their characters.

Thing is I cant seem to find a source that will explain the Sundering to them and what they might have expirienced in the past 30 years of their lives (we play at 1490). You know, major events that mostly everyone should know about. I saw that Myrkul is back, and Bhaal, when it happend? why there's Amaunator and Lathander? I have a cleric in my group that asked me those questions and I am not sure exactly how to answer them.

Thank you very much for all the replies :)

"I can teach you how to use your wrath. You can control the taint, direct it, summon it at will. You can become the Slayer at will and become the weapon of murder that you were meant to be! So think of me. Think of how I destroyed your precious Gorion, how I plundered the lives of your Candlekeep. Summon your rage, stir the depths of your black heart! Summon wrath. Summon wrath and become it, for if you cannot, then you are not worthy of Bhaal's blood. It should have been I. It should have been I! ATTACK ME, WORM, IF YOU DARE!!!"

Edited by - Stealthwhisper on 31 Dec 2015 10:36:04

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2015 :  12:36:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happened during the Sundering. The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide describes the FR post 1489 DR: most gods (I'd say almost all) are back, but (for the majority of them) WotC didn't care to explain how it happened. They handwaved the matter, attributing their return to what Ao did in the Sundering.

There's a different explanation for Bhaal, though. It's in the ''Murder in Baldur's Gate'' adventure, and IIRC it basically boils down to the death of the last Bhaalspawn.

Amaunator and Lathander both exist, as the entity that has actually always been behind both of them now answers to prayers directed to both names (it is explained in ''The Reaver'', one of the six Sundering novels --which don't really cover the full extent of the changes, though--).

You could also try asking Ed. He provided an explanation for the return of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, for example.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 Dec 2015 14:30:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000