Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Thomas M Reid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  01:11:46  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are good questions concerning a possible Vilhon Reach sourcebook, but I have another one.

This question concerns the latest book by Mr. Reid, so if you've not read the book, you may want to look away.

*SPOILER ALERT*

In "The Emerald Scepter," Vambran, Arbeenok, and a number of sea elves explore the Jhaamdathan city of Naarkolyth, which is described as the most populous (it's described as the "largest," which I'm taking to refer to population and not land area) of the Twelve Cities. In referring to Lost Empires of Faerun, none of the Twelve Cities of the Sword is named Naarkolyth. Would Naarkolyth be the name the elves (both land-based and sea) gave to whichever of the cities they're referring to (like possibly Dhinnilith)?

Daarkknight

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  23:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
I'm currently working on a portion of an FR game supplement that must remain nameless for the moment.

Thomas

Something other than Champions of Valor, obviously ... c'mon, just a little, tiny hint?

-- George Krashos

oh oh I know Mr Krashos!

Its Mysteries of the moonsea!

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/078693915X/qid%3D1128111854/sr%3D1-12/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F0%5F12/701-3641859-7413955

Thomas, Sean and Wil have been holding out on us!

Hey Thomas now that the cat is out of the bag a question

Is the area detailed by Mysteries of the Moonsea defined by the FRC defination of the Moonsea or does the source book take in other regions to such as The Ride and Vaasa?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  15:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daarkknight

Would Naarkolyth be the name the elves (both land-based and sea) gave to whichever of the cities they're referring to (like possibly Dhinnilith)?

When I was researching Jhaamdath for the book, I got Ed Greenwood's notes about the place from the man himself and my depiction of the setting (and the name Naarkolyth) is based heavily on those. Lost Empires had not yet come out, so I didn't have that to draw on.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  15:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Is the area detailed by Mysteries of the Moonsea defined by the FRC defination of the Moonsea or does the source book take in other regions to such as The Ride and Vaasa?

The FRCS definition.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  08:58:44  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Thomas

I've a question for you regarding Champions of Valor.

In the previews for October the book is stated as having 6 chapters...does it mean there is no "mirror" chapter for Champions' of Ruin "Champions of Darkness" ?? (the one describing Malkizid, Eltab etc.)

Thank you

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  11:35:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Torkwaret

Dear Thomas

I've a question for you regarding Champions of Valor.

In the previews for October the book is stated as having 6 chapters...does it mean there is no "mirror" chapter for Champions' of Ruin "Champions of Darkness" ?? (the one describing Malkizid, Eltab etc.)

Thank you

I'd be surprised if there was no corresponding section in CoV. I think it more likely that this tome is simply structured a bit differently.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Oct 2005 11:35:38
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  12:17:13  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope so

But the question remains, so, Thomas, would you be so kind to answer it ??

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

does it mean there is no "mirror" chapter for Champions' of Ruin "Champions of Darkness" ?? (the one describing Malkizid, Eltab etc.)

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's correct. My understanding is that the two books were organized differently on purpose, and Sean and I wrote to the specifications we were given by the in-house people. I don't know what reasons were for doing things differently.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  12:25:21  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, well, no reason to fret since I really can't do anything about it...

But I do have a question regarding the NPC's in the book - will there be any "Bastion of Good" characters ?? (I mean powerful, 19 level-Epic level ones )

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  03:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

But I do have a question regarding the NPC's in the book - will there be any "Bastion of Good" characters ?? (I mean powerful, 19 level-Epic level ones

No. We did do a set of unique characters, but we did not do anything in the epic-level range.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  19:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas,

The Magic Items section in Champions of Valor seems to alternate between the use of a History section or a Lore section in the descriptions for magic items.

Did you get a chance to write any of the items up, and if so do you know why WotC did things this way?

Regardless the items are pretty cool.

Thanks!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  06:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

The Magic Items section in Champions of Valor seems to alternate between the use of a History section or a Lore section in the descriptions for magic items.

Did you get a chance to write any of the items up, and if so do you know why WotC did things this way?

I did do part of the magic items, as did Sean (and I think Eric Boyd did some, too). It's been quite a while since I worked on that, but as best as I can recollect, I was working with a newer magic item format for the the first time that included some new bits of info we were supposed to provide. It's possible that we didn't all three do it the same way, but I'm a little surprised that the editors didn't go "even" them up afterward. I'm just not sure what the reason is.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2005 :  06:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Thomas!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  03:07:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas I have a question for you regarding The North FR source book as you where one of the project cordinators I figured you might know

Im trying to convert the Daggerford section of the North to 3ed (Specficly the NPCs) and have struck a problem

I cant figure out what C means in the stat block

The following NPCs from Daggerford use this C prefix

Maranta (LG hf C5)

Baergon Bluesword (CG hem F7/C7)

Duneden (N hm C3)

Garick Honestone (CN dm F3/C3)

Garrick (NE gm C4)

Baergon (CN hem F7/C7)

Liam (LG hm C10; W 16)

Ruckert (CE hm C5)

Nicomantis (LG hm C6)

At first I thought it was Cleric but other enteries use the P prefix and state the deity they serve in brackets, for example

Pauldine (NG hef P1 [Chauntea])

So what does C stand for?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  03:27:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C stands for Cleric.

P stands for Specialty Priest.

I know there's a passage in a later 2e sourcebook that explains these changes, but I can't find it atm. It's not FR Adventures, it came out way after that. I want to say that it may be in one of Steven's other box sets/sourcebooks.......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Jan 2006 03:28:06
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  03:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

C stands for Cleric.

I know there's a passage in a later 2e sourcebook that explains these changes, but I can't find it atm. It's not FR Adventures, it came out way after that. I want to say that it may be in one of Steven's other box sets/sourcebooks.......

I thought SP was the abreviation for Speciality Priest....

Also 2ed eliminated Clerics and renamed them Priests (Whichg would I imagine be what the P stands for)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  03:55:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

C stands for Cleric.

Also 2ed eliminated Clerics and renamed them Priests (Whichg would I imagine be what the P stands for)

Not in FR they didn't. C stands for Cleric and P stands for Specialty Priest, as I said. Before that, in FR Adventures, it was a different symbol for specialty priest but as I said, a later FR sourcebook changed that. Damn I wish I can find the reference.

Edit: I found one of the references I was looking for. Skullport page 4 under Format Note: C=cleric. P=specialty priest. Granted this came out after the North.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Jan 2006 04:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  04:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah well I guess it doesnt matter Ill treat all NPCs be they Cs or Ps in The North as 3ed Clerics..

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  04:44:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah well I guess it doesnt matter Ill treat all NPCs be they Cs or Ps in The North as 3ed Clerics..

:) You might want to contact Warlocko. I think he converted many of those NPC's.....

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  04:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

:) You might want to contact Warlocko. I think he converted many of those NPC's.....

Oh?

Has he posted anything in the forums or on the Candlekeep site?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  05:24:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh?

Has he posted anything in the forums or on the Candlekeep site?

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4890

:)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2006 :  05:48:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

C stands for Cleric.

Not in FR they didn't. C stands for Cleric and P stands for Specialty Priest, as I said. <snip>

Indeed. In 2E FR stuff, clerics were a generic bunch. The specialty priests were like the elite divine spellcasters. If you check the write-ups in the 3 2E deity books, you'll see that for a lot of the deities, it offers a breakdown of the church structure (X% clerics, Y% specialty priests, Z% crusaders).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  21:24:59  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Reid,

My gaming group is using your Shining South sourcebook and enjoying it greatly. One question about Halruaan elders: if an elder passes away, how is the inheritence of his estate handled? Is it given to his/her heirs? Or does the government take most of it?

If estates are inherited, is there be a class of rich, hereditary mages in Halruaa?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  23:16:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RodOdom, without spoiling the series too much, that question can be answered by reading Elaine's Counsellors & Kings trilogy.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2006 :  02:20:05  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

xarlstaunzund
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2006 :  05:09:51  Show Profile  Visit xarlstaunzund's Homepage Send xarlstaunzund a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm posting this question here, as Mr. Reid wrote the Shining South sourcebook. I'm thinking of running a game based out of the city of Eartheart at the Great Rift. Is there anywhere I can get more in depth info on Eartheart?
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2006 :  05:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR11 Dwarves Deep accessory by Ed Greenwood.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2006 :  06:13:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a few tidbits on Eartheart in Ed's Elminster Speaks articles from WotC.

You can download the complete compilation here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/es/20030514a

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  22:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folks,

In the shuffle and flow of my hectic life, I sort of forgot to check this thread for a while. Thus, I haven't posted any responses to any questions in quite some time. My apologies.

It looks like most everything that got asked got answered by other folks, but if anyone feels that they didn't get enough information about something, go ahead and re-post, and I'll try to get you a reply.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this on the Gossamer Plains thread but I'll just go ahead and re-post this question here:

Is it possible for you to fill us in on additional details about the book? Like where it's set? What's it gonna be about (without spoiling too much)? How's the writing progress on the series? etc.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000