Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Thomas M Reid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  04:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

I posted this on the Gossamer Plains thread but I'll just go ahead and re-post this question here:

Is it possible for you to fill us in on additional details about the book? Like where it's set? What's it gonna be about (without spoiling too much)? How's the writing progress on the series? etc.

Check the other thread for my response.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  16:42:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to let everyone know that Thomas does have a new novel out but it's set in the Everquest line, if they are interested in his novels. :)

It's called Truth and Steel.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:00:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I just wanted to let everyone know that Thomas does have a new novel out but it's set in the Everquest line, if they are interested in his novels. :)

It's called Truth and Steel.

Good thing I'm off to the bookstore today.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  02:45:28  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And by the way, Truth and Steel is great. I recommend it highly. Some great twists.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  12:38:33  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there Thomas,

My compatriots and I are developing a persistent world project for Neverwinter Nights 2 of Zhentil Keep and the Moonsea. We are all canon nuts and are attempting to utilise as much info from sourcebooks and novels as possible in our creation process.

Just wanted to ask your opinion on a little matter that we've come across.

quote:
Reading through the books RoZK and MotM, the Tesh Inn has some inconsistancy.

RoZK speaks of the proprietor being Lord Payr'adar, which I thought was right.
MotM speaks that it has been sold for a fraction of the price when the Inn was in financial trouble. Now Zhentarim merchants own it, and sometimes use it to make slaves out of visitors. (page 134 - Sinister Inn of MotM)

Ideas of what's going on. Is Lord Payr'adar still around? Has he been wasted or run out of town by the Black Network? What about Lord Halaster, is he in the Zhents bad books aswell? Is this because of their previous support of Lord Orgauth?

In addition, this begs a question which I previously posed to Ed, but which you may be in a position to answer.
Which former lords of Zhentil Keep are still alive and where are they now. I am aware of where Lady Alicia now makes her home, but I am now not sure where to put Halaster, Payr'adar and the rest after noticing this predisposition for the Tesh Inn to be a slavers trap.

A copper for your thoughts on the matter?

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2007 :  14:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to support the voice of my compatriot above. We'd love some insight of what's going on and what happened with the Lords of Zhentil Keep.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2007 :  22:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, all.

So sorry for the long silence. Other issues have kept me away from the forums for a couple of months. Not sure which questions are still relevant at this stage, so if there's something you'd like to know, please re-pitch it and I will do my best to answer in a timely manner.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2007 :  23:13:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this floating in the ethers; I trust it was meant to go into this scroll. If not, I do apologize, Thomas. You can ping me or another mod if you intended the lost post to be a new thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

Almost forgot one other important point: if you have tried to send me private email in recent weeks, chances are it went to my old address and got lost. To reach me these days, please use the following:

TMR at thomasmreid dot com

I had to switch because the spam was growing intolerable.

Thanks,

Thomas

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Apr 2007 23:15:42
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2007 :  21:29:02  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,

Welcome back.

I'd like to repitch my question above
quote:
Hi there Thomas,

My compatriots and I are developing a persistent world project for Neverwinter Nights 2 of Zhentil Keep and the Moonsea. We are all canon nuts and are attempting to utilise as much info from sourcebooks and novels as possible in our creation process.

Just wanted to ask your opinion on a little matter that we've come across.

quote:
Reading through the books RoZK and MotM, the Tesh Inn has some inconsistancy.

RoZK speaks of the proprietor being Lord Payr'adar, which I thought was right.
MotM speaks that it has been sold for a fraction of the price when the Inn was in financial trouble. Now Zhentarim merchants own it, and sometimes use it to make slaves out of visitors. (page 134 - Sinister Inn of MotM)

Ideas of what's going on. Is Lord Payr'adar still around? Has he been wasted or run out of town by the Black Network? What about Lord Halaster, is he in the Zhents bad books aswell? Is this because of their previous support of Lord Orgauth?

In addition, this begs a question which I previously posed to Ed, but which you may be in a position to answer.
Which former lords of Zhentil Keep are still alive and where are they now. I am aware of where Lady Alicia now makes her home, but I am now not sure where to put Halaster, Payr'adar and the rest after noticing this predisposition for the Tesh Inn to be a slavers trap.

A copper for your thoughts on the matter?

Thanks in advance

- Dez

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  19:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just found this floating in the ethers; I trust it was meant to go into this scroll.

It was, indeed, supposed to go in here, and thanks for "rescuing" it. Not sure how that happened, as I don't have "ethers" in my address book.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  19:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn

Hi Thomas,

Welcome back.

I'd like to repitch my question above
[snip]
Thanks in advance

- Dez

Dez,

I honestly can't remember much about that product off the top of my head. Let me go back and review and I'll get back to you with an answer.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  16:25:15  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Reid,

for another topic here in the halls we are collecting lore for Mercenary Companies. Is it possible that you remember some more details from:

”Sapphire Crescent” Mercenary company of Waukeen : The scions of Arrabar Triology

Type: ??? (Recruited veterans or what)

Fixed Base : The Company protects the clerics of Waukeen (Were - only while traveling?)

Number of Members : "

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mod: Didn't get a confirmation for posting - and didn't known if there would be a "plink" for Mr. Reid

Edited by - Matthus on 29 May 2007 16:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  16:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Thomas!

One of the players of my brand new campaign in the Vilhon Reach want to play with an exalted druid of Nobanion/Lion of Talisid. We're working in the adaptation of Talisid as a servant of Nobanion, but my question is:

In Champions of Valor, the feat Initiate of Nobanion covers only clerics and paladins, but we think that it will be a good choice for the druid. How advice you give to handle this? Adjust the level requirement for a druid? And give some bonus in the wild class ability?

Thanks in advance.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  21:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn
Is Lord Payr'adar still around? Has he been wasted or run out of town by the Black Network? What about Lord Halaster, is he in the Zhents bad books aswell? Is this because of their previous support of Lord Orgauth? Which former lords of Zhentil Keep are still alive and where are they now?

- Dez

Hey there. I'm very sorry I never got back to you on this. I never really unearthed any answers for you, so unless you got some info from somewhere else, I think it's left open to do what you wish.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  21:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Is it possible that you remember some more details from:

”Sapphire Crescent” Mercenary company of Waukeen : The scions of Arrabar Triology

Type: ??? (Recruited veterans or what)

Fixed Base : The Company protects the clerics of Waukeen (Were - only while traveling?)

Number of Members : "

Truthfully, I never considered any of that kind of information when I was writing the books, and the company was made up whole cloth for the novels. I'm not sure what you mean by Type. The company serves in a number of roles, including but not limited to protecting clerics of Waukeen when they are traveling on official business for the temple. They also get "loaned" out (part of the proceeds go back into the temple's coffers). As far as number of members, maybe 80 or 90 (about enough for three or four units of 20 to 30 members each).

If you have more questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them, but please be as precise as you can.

Thanks,

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  21:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

In Champions of Valor, the feat Initiate of Nobanion covers only clerics and paladins, but we think that it will be a good choice for the druid. How advice you give to handle this? Adjust the level requirement for a druid? And give some bonus in the wild class ability?

You ought to ask Sean Reynolds about this. That was his area of the book and he would have much better insight for you.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  04:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I will poke Sean about this...

Thanks, Thomas!

Now that you mention this, I'm curious. Who do what in the book? Champions of Valor is one of the most used of my FR supplements, right now!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  15:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Now that you mention this, I'm curious. Who do what in the book?

Oh, boy. It was all mixed together, and it would take me way too long to go through each chapter and list who did what. It's not that I am unwilling to do so, but I am on a book deadline. If there is something specific you want to know about, I'll try to answer that.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  01:31:31  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas, are you attending Gen Con this year? I haven't seen you around.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  03:36:34  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi M. Reid,

Now that we know you took part in writing the "ToT of the 3e/4e switch in FR"*, can you give us a hint on the scale of the change ?

*The last 3.5 module : Anauroch : Sundering of the World (or something like it)

Edited by - Skeptic on 18 Aug 2007 03:36:52
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  23:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Thomas, are you attending Gen Con this year? I haven't seen you around.

No, I didn't make it to the show this year. It just wasn't financially feasible.

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  23:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi M. Reid,

Now that we know you took part in writing the "ToT of the 3e/4e switch in FR"*, can you give us a hint on the scale of the change ?

*The last 3.5 module : Anauroch : Sundering of the World (or something like it)

Well, obviously, the world is sundered.
Seriously, I wrote only a small portion of the total and dealt primarily with the environs of the Great Desert -- the climate, native inhabitants, commerce, etc. -- and wasn't nearly as involved with the overall plot of the adventure as the other designers. Any more than that, I cannot say with any authority, and shouldn't speak of, regardless.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Agis_of_Asticles
Acolyte

Brazil
17 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  07:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Agis_of_Asticles's Homepage Send Agis_of_Asticles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas,

I´m DMing a FR campaign, 3rd edition, but I'm aways looking for information at 2nd edition sourcebooks.

Reading the Wizards and Rogues of the Realms, I saw a refernce to the Guild of Shadows at the introductory text of the Shadow Walkers.

I know you was the project coordinator of this book, but I have a question that you can answer me. In my searchs for this guild and their members [the shadow walkers] at the 3rd edition books, I can't find anything about those. Is there some FR 3rd edition book that explain this class and your organization?

Sorry guys. Bad english, I know.

“While the wise may worship, only fools bow and wait.”
A North’s saying [FR]

Suporting the petition to our local [Brazil] publisher of Wizards [Devir] to publish more translated books. [http://www.petitiononline.com/DevirRPG/petition.html]
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  23:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agis_of_Asticles

In my searchs for this guild and their members [the shadow walkers] at the 3rd edition books, I can't find anything about those. Is there some FR 3rd edition book that explain this class and your organization?

I honestly couldn't tell you. In addition to that project coming out well over a decade ago, I was, as you observed, the project coordinator and didn't actually write any of the material. Furthermore, I don't know who might have taken info from that book for new material, and I have never worked on anything that included the Shadow Walkers.

That is a question better suited for the General Discussion thread, as I'm sure there are folks who read that regularly who have a far more encyclopedic knowledge of what's been covered than I do.

Good luck!

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  22:42:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Thomas, just a question, which you may or may not be at liberty to answer. Can you say what the timeframe of of the Empyrean Trilogy is? Does it wrap up in the "near" future (1375-1376, thereabouts) or does it push closer the the 1380s (since I noticed that Lisa's latest trilogy has shot up to 1377 DR now). And is it safe to assume that the book starts out in 1373 DR, since it picked up right after the WOTSQ?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  16:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas,

Reading Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land (see Eric Boyd's thread if you want to read some of my thoughts), I wondered how Jyordhan came to be a dread wraith, what his unlife was like before the Zhent occupation. Eric thought there might have been more explanation in your original draft of the chapter. Can you tell us what you had in mind?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  18:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Thomas, just a question, which you may or may not be at liberty to answer. Can you say what the timeframe of of the Empyrean Trilogy is? Does it wrap up in the "near" future (1375-1376, thereabouts) or does it push closer the the 1380s (since I noticed that Lisa's latest trilogy has shot up to 1377 DR now). And is it safe to assume that the book starts out in 1373 DR, since it picked up right after the WOTSQ?

I can confirm that the book picks up a few months after the end of WotSQ. Beyond that, I am, as you surmised, not at liberty to answer.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  19:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Reading Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land (see Eric Boyd's thread if you want to read some of my thoughts), I wondered how Jyordhan came to be a dread wraith, what his unlife was like before the Zhent occupation. Eric thought there might have been more explanation in your original draft of the chapter. Can you tell us what you had in mind?

This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but there wasn't as much to it as Eric was imagining (unless we kicked around some concepts in email, which I didn't save). Basically, I was encouraged to try to use monsters that had been created in the D&D minis line at about that time, a dread wraith was one such choice, and I thought it would make a good inhabitant in a once-abandoned castle. The choice to make it Jyordhan (as opposed to some unnamed throw-away individual) was pretty easy -- he was the central figure of the keep before it fell into ruin, and his death was a violent one, leaving unfinished business. I thought it was a good fit.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  15:38:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas, thanks for the candid, though sad, answer. It's because I thought it was a decent enough fit that I wondered how else he might have been trying to finish his business, other than waiting to be slain by PCs. (Compare "Wyrms of the North"!)
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  21:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Thomas, thanks for the candid, though sad, answer. It's because I thought it was a decent enough fit that I wondered how else he might have been trying to finish his business, other than waiting to be slain by PCs. (Compare "Wyrms of the North"!)

Yep. I feel your pain, but the truth is, that's not "how things are done" very much any more. When you're given X number of pages to fill, with Y number of encounter spreads, with the idea being to advance the characters by Z experience points by the end of your section, there's just not much in the way of space left to fill in those gaps like we used to do "in the old days."

I won't feign complete non-culpability; I probably could have included something in the intro to hint at what Jyordhan was up to all those years of undeath, but by the time I came up with the idea for a dread wraith, I was in the final weekend of my deadline and just needed to get my word count wrapped up. Making it him rather than a nameless monster was my "token" nod to continuity and lore. There just wasn't time/space for anything more than that. So it goes.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000