Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Hidden archer Question.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

portose_sharpe
Seeker

Ireland
74 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2014 :  23:17:08  Show Profile Send portose_sharpe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i have a question for you fellow D&Ders

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hidden_Archer_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

sorry if I should not of posted this link.

this class has an ability :

Sniping (Ex): The Hidden Archer is used to stepping out of the shadows, shooting at a target precisely, and then re-concealing herself before she can be identified. The Hidden Archer gets a circumstance bonus to his hide checks equal to twice the number of her level following a ranged attack. In addition, the Hidden Archer can increase the range for ranged sneak attacks by an additional 30 feet.

my question is are they they can have a full attack and then hide, so my question is are they full concealed or threated as invisible? with a 50% miss chance?

thanks

Edited by - portose_sharpe on 20 Feb 2014 16:59:05

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2014 :  23:32:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that with both the attack and hide rules, he'd still be limited to a standard attack then use his move action to hide (and gain all the bonuses from the PrC).
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2014 :  01:54:05  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you take a full attack action, you cannot do anything else during your turn unless it's a free action. There would be a SINGLE attack, at your highest attack bonus, then hiding again (use a skill) at a -20 penalty (I think) as a move action. They then make a hide check using Stealth at a -20 penalty. That hide check would then be opposed by perception checks for anyone within the line of sight. Those who perception checks exceed the archers stealth check would see the archer normally.
Go to Top of Page

portose_sharpe
Seeker

Ireland
74 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2014 :  16:30:49  Show Profile Send portose_sharpe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its states that you can fire and hide before been identified. so would you say the hidden archer can fire ( one attack ) and hide all in the same action. if its broken down into the 2 actions in a round surely he would be spotted when its the npcs.

its just currently the pc is having 5 attacks a round ( 4 base 1 haste ) and then hiding, it seems overpowered, and its why i am here looking for advice.

Edited by - portose_sharpe on 20 Feb 2014 16:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  13:05:05  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they are hasted a move action is a pointless concern. It might be op but i would hope this character isnt a master archer as well as a wizard so this is likely a rare occasion this goes down. Id let it slide...if however this is a regular tactic...well id say the dm asked for it when they gave the archer haste. Hes probably an elf to boot

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  19:49:31  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It simply comes down to actions. You cannot take a full attack action....and then do something else. Your full attack action is a full round action, and that is all you can do in your turn....period. The haste effect depends solely on what rules you're using. For example, if you're using Pathfinder, the spell grants one extra attack WHEN TAKING THE FULL ATTACK ACTION. It does NOT confer any extra actions. Everyone still has one standard action and one move action per round. So the first sentence of my statement is what I would go by. The rules do not allow taking a full attack action, and then hiding unless the hiding is a free action.

He CAN fire one attack, and then hide again before being seen, haste or not. The same still applies for opposed hide/perception checks.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  21:06:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

It simply comes down to actions. You cannot take a full attack action....and then do something else. Your full attack action is a full round action, and that is all you can do in your turn....period. The haste effect depends solely on what rules you're using. For example, if you're using Pathfinder, the spell grants one extra attack WHEN TAKING THE FULL ATTACK ACTION. It does NOT confer any extra actions. Everyone still has one standard action and one move action per round. So the first sentence of my statement is what I would go by. The rules do not allow taking a full attack action, and then hiding unless the hiding is a free action.

He CAN fire one attack, and then hide again before being seen, haste or not. The same still applies for opposed hide/perception checks.

Exactly. To hide, it requires the equivalent of your move action. You can attack (standard action) and then hide (move action) and gain all the benefits of "sniping" from the Hidden Archer feature. Now you can get multiple shots off IF you've taken the Manyshot feat, but each attack suffers a -4 penalty (-6 for three attacks, -8 for four attacks) to the attack roll and you only add your precision-based damage once. You'd also need Greater Manyshot to get precision-based damage more often and to target multiple foes.

All in all, it's not that broken of an ability. Sniping helps when you want to stay hidden, pop off a powerful shot and remain hidden.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000