Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Elven Reverie and Perception
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  14:49:12  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am playing a Sun Elf character in a Forgotten Realms campaign.
My group is using the Pathfinder ruleset, which states a sleeping character may notice what is happening around him if he is successful on a Perception check with a +10 penalty on its CD.
We know Elves do not sleep and rest in a trance, called reverie, for 4 hours a day.

The old AD&D Book of Elves states:
quote:
When they enter reverie, elves do not usually close their eyes unless there is a bright light present. They relax their bodies entirely, each muscle losing its rigidity, until they are absolutely calm. Their faces relax into a dazed and distant look as if they were seeing another land or another time.
During this time, they are aware of their surroundings, but they cannot act to influence them any more than a human can while asleep. Only by an act of will can an elf tear herself from reverie, and she will be confused for a short time, just as a human would be who has torn himself from sleep.

The Player Handbook of the 4th edition of D&D states:
quote:
Trance: Rather than sleep, eladrin enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.

Considered these sources, should my character take penalties on his Perception checks while he is in reverie?
Are there other official sources (novels, manuals, articles, etc.) which point out the level of awareness of the FR Elves during their reverie?

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  14:57:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going by a strict interpretation I would say you don't take the penalty BUT you're playing PF rules...what do that say? The PF sources would trump anything else because that's the rule set you're using.

Novel: Arilyn Moonblade once faked a reverie when another elf came into her room. The elf looked at her and chose not to disturb her. Presumably, he felt she was unaware of his presence but that's just my interpretation.

Personally, I don't like the idea that the elf is aware of their surroundings. Reverie is a dream-like state in which elves 'relive' past events or muse about things in their lives...that takes their attention from their surroundings (again just my view on it).

Bottom line...it comes down to your DMs ruling. Hope I helped you.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  23:00:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The PHBR4: Complete Book of Elves was written for AD&D2E, which I recall stated somewhere else that elven reverie is similar to humans using the Meditation skill. Basically (in game terms) this means they are somewhat aware of their surroundings but they usually need to make a Wisdom check (which can be modified based on perceived ordinariness, urgency, or threat) to “awaken“ themselves and take action. Sorry, I can‘t recall the exact source, possibly PHBR5: Complete Book of Psionics, possibly one of the Dark Sun psionic supplements, possibly somewhere in the Player‘s Options rulebooks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  23:35:57  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Book of Psionics has the following description of the Psionicist Proficiency Rejuvenation:
quote:
Rejuvenation: This proficiency allows a character to recover Psionic Strength Points while he meditates, as quickly as if he were sleeping. The character achieves a state of deep concentration, in which he focuses and regains his energies. He is still conscious and aware of his surroundings, so he does not suffer any penalties on surprise or initiative rolls, and he is not helpless if attacked (he still can't expend PSPs, however).
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2014 :  22:41:00  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Personally, I don't like the idea that the elf is aware of their surroundings. Reverie is a dream-like state in which elves 'relive' past events or muse about things in their lives...that takes their attention from their surroundings (again just my view on it).
All in all... I'd say they are aware as much as a human in semi-lucid dream is aware of e.g. sounds, the main difference being that this extends to vision. I.e. are likely to wake up from strong stimuli (close, fast-moving, or contrastly coloured), but less intense things may or may not be distracting enough to notice and remember them at all, and sensitivity to distractions may vary - some are mostly awake, some could as well be sleeping.
But if something is subtle enough to need a check determining whether it would be noticed normally, don't bother, it automatically fails. Or at -20, to take into account keen senses.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2014 :  13:16:17  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a sleep like state. However considering table top...i would always recommend making somekind of check for the elf equal to that of a human being awoken, though be it abit more grace in the waking. If we are debating novels, thats another discussion. Games require rules proportionate to your other players. ' Like death, sleep forces even the most powerful onto their backs. ' - kevin spacey

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000