Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Do female dwarfs have a beards?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sluban
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  16:11:50  Show Profile Send Sluban a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So do female dwarfs have a beards? I remember that in Icewind 1 and Baldur 1 they had a beards, but in all newer FR computer games(Neverwinter 1 and 2, Baldur and Icewind 2, Neverwinter Online) they haven't.

Edited by - Sluban on 26 Oct 2013 16:12:51

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  16:59:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the older material does specifically state dwarven females have beards -- but that's never been reflected in the artwork, because of the perception that no one (other than a dwarf) would find a bearded woman attractive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  17:00:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it depends on the source, as you've noticed. Some yes, some no. I remember in one of the novels it talked about how she dwarfs would braid their beards.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 26 Oct 2013 17:01:37
Go to Top of Page

Sluban
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  17:13:14  Show Profile Send Sluban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course nobody consider bearded woman attractive but also nobody consider monstrous and masculine females like half-orcs attractive. And they still exist(but I heard that they sometimes try to make them look more human than orc). But what is true? Beards are only anomaly in some female dwarfs? So why there are no option in modern games to give female dwarf a beard? As FR wiki account:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarf

"Male dwarves are often bald and grow thick facial hair sometimes used to display social status. It is a common misconception that female dwarves (with the exception of some gold dwarves) also do this, who instead braid their long hair. This hair is often dark in hue, though among shield dwarves blond or red hair is just as common. Gold dwarves take the care of beards to an extreme, carefully oiling and grooming it, and in some cases even gold dwarven females grow beards."

Edited by - Sluban on 26 Oct 2013 17:13:31
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  18:18:35  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
[...] because of the perception that no one (other than a dwarf) would find a bearded woman attractive.

Hey, Salma Hayek as the Bearded Lady is still Salma Hayek!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  18:57:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sluban

Of course nobody consider bearded woman attractive but also nobody consider monstrous and masculine females like half-orcs attractive. And they still exist(but I heard that they sometimes try to make them look more human than orc). But what is true? Beards are only anomaly in some female dwarfs? So why there are no option in modern games to give female dwarf a beard? As FR wiki account:

"Male dwarves are often bald and grow thick facial hair sometimes used to display social status. It is a common misconception that female dwarves (with the exception of some gold dwarves) also do this, who instead braid their long hair. This hair is often dark in hue, though among shield dwarves blond or red hair is just as common. Gold dwarves take the care of beards to an extreme, carefully oiling and grooming it, and in some cases even gold dwarven females grow beards."

The FR wiki is wrong. Page 10 of the 3E FRCS:

quote:
Some female dwarves of Faerūn can grow beards, too, often passing as males among the nondwarves of the surface lands. Dwarven women may choose to shave their beards to match human-style expectations of beauty, while others glory in luxurious plaited beards that match their hair or wear sharply cut goatees.

Also, page 5 of the definitive source about Realmsian dwarves, FR11 Dwarves Deep, by none other than Ed Greenwood:

quote:
Most dwarven females dress, walk and fight as males do, and have similar low-pitched, gruff, husky voices. Like males, they naturally grow beards, and only some shave. Dwarves of both sexes may trim, perfume, or even hang their beards with gems or gold ornaments. The latter is particularly true in the south, among surface-dwellers near the Rift.

Even the 4E Forgotten Realms Player's Guide says it, on page 14:

quote:
They wear their black to dark brown hair long, and males (and rarely females) sport long beards, carefully oiled and groomed.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Oct 2013 18:59:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  19:00:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
[...] because of the perception that no one (other than a dwarf) would find a bearded woman attractive.

Hey, Salma Hayek as the Bearded Lady is still Salma Hayek!

A 700-pound, wart-encrusted, unwashed-for-weeks Salma Hayek is still Salma Hayek, but she'd be a lot less likely to be in the pages of Maxim.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  14:47:59  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought it was up to the individual dwarven female and that (unlike males) there was no shame in bearing beardless.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  14:53:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I always thought it was up to the individual dwarven female and that (unlike males) there was no shame in bearing beardless.

The question is do the dwarven females that shave... do they shave both ends... and is it considered provocative and alluring for doing so? What about their armpits? I mean, American women think European women are gross for letting their armpits grow.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  15:23:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My assumption has always been that 'fey' female dwarves (those originated from the Feywild, rather then some alternate prime) are the bearded ones, which makes sense considering the female Moonshae dwarves are known for their fine beards.

I think that female dwarves are not 'natural' to the race - they weren't designed to have females - but magic, evolution, and cross-breeding has resulted in something that was never meant to be - a female dwarf.

Just my theory, mind you. The book of Secrets (AEG) had an interesting take - that the original dwarves were literally 'born from stone'. I liked that, and ran with it. Some of those 'true dwarfs' still exist - they are the Urdunnir.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2013 15:33:18
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  17:29:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The FR wiki is wrong. Page 10 of the 3E FRCS:

quote:
Some female dwarves of Faerūn can grow beards, too, often passing as males among the nondwarves of the surface lands. Dwarven women may choose to shave their beards to match human-style expectations of beauty, while others glory in luxurious plaited beards that match their hair or wear sharply cut goatees.

Also, page 5 of the definitive source about Realmsian dwarves, FR11 Dwarves Deep, by none other than Ed Greenwood:

quote:
Most dwarven females dress, walk and fight as males do, and have similar low-pitched, gruff, husky voices. Like males, they naturally grow beards, and only some shave. Dwarves of both sexes may trim, perfume, or even hang their beards with gems or gold ornaments. The latter is particularly true in the south, among surface-dwellers near the Rift.

Even the 4E Forgotten Realms Player's Guide says it, on page 14:

quote:
They wear their black to dark brown hair long, and males (and rarely females) sport long beards, carefully oiled and groomed.

That wiki information was taken from the 4e Player's Handbook. If I could actually edit wiki pages on this darned tablet I'd change it to use the FR-specific material which contradicts the quoted generic DnD source.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  17:48:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you run into the bug of that new canon replaces any prior print. It though clearly might be useful to indicate that which -4E Forgotten Realms Player's Guide- indicates for the Realms. Adding maybe some reference to prior editions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  02:49:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So post-spellplague, female dwarves lost their beards?

Some form of radiation sickness, perhaps? I know the Spellplague made a lot of people physically ill.

{both RW and on Toril}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2013 14:40:40
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  03:43:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So post-spellplague, feMale dwarves lost their beards?

Some form of radiation sickness, perhaps? I know the Spellplague made a lot of people physically ill.

{both RW and on Toril}

Well 4th appears to say few females "males (and rarely females) sport long beards, carefully oiled and groomed."

It does not mean the females do not shave, just few have long beards.

Spin it anyway you want for your own campaign.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  13:08:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
13 replies on dwarven ladies' beards and still no mention of Haela Brightaxe?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  13:16:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

13 replies on dwarven ladies' beards and still no mention of Haela Brightaxe?

The bearded folk aren't my specialty. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  14:30:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well you run into the bug of that new canon replaces any prior print. It though clearly might be useful to indicate that which -4E Forgotten Realms Player's Guide- indicates for the Realms. Adding maybe some reference to prior editions.

The newer lore just states that few dwarven females sport beards. It doesn't state that they don't have to shave. It doesn't state that they don't use some kind of alchemical concoction to stop their beards from growing. It may have just become popular amongst dwarven males that their females not have a beard and/or other masses of body hair. Maybe all the displaced Halfling females were stealing their men. Maybe there was an upsurge of dwarf men and the adventurous gnomish females (nothing says these interactions needed to last... just if it led their man to cheat). Maybe one dwarf female started shaving and she was drawing the eyes of every male dwarf in a community so others started copying her. Maybe some a-hole dwarves decided to "shame" some dwarf female who stood up against them by raping and shaving her, and in an act of community healing every other dwarf female shaved themselves and it became a trend.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  17:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently this question is also on the minds of the EverQuest Next development team. They even discuss the issue in a video. https://forums.station.sony.com/everquestnext/index.php?threads/should-female-dwarves-have-beards-or-not.6/

My favorite quote, from the lead producer, sums up my feelings on the matter: "Obviously female dwarves have beards. It shouldn't even have been up for discussion."

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Sluban
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  17:43:06  Show Profile Send Sluban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if they have ability to grow beards why in games like Neverwinter Online you can't give beard to female dwarf character? I remember that there was even description that "female dwarfs can't have facial hair" or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  19:00:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So if they have ability to grow beards why in games like Neverwinter Online you can't give beard to female dwarf character? I remember that there was even description that "female dwarfs can't have facial hair" or something like that.

Lurue only knows. Maybe the designers were going with human norms for attractiveness, and thus excluded bearded females.

Go to Top of Page

Sluban
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  19:16:38  Show Profile Send Sluban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So why they didn't exclude female half-orcs and write "half-orcs can't be female"?

Edited by - Sluban on 28 Oct 2013 19:17:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  20:35:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So why they didn't exclude female half-orcs and write "half-orcs can't be female"?

You're asking the wrong crowd. All I can offer is supposition.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  22:43:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female dwarves have been described as bearded and unbearded in multiple sources. Although WotC decided, as of 4E, that these dwarves do not have beards. Female dwarves were once described as frequently passing themselves off as male dwarves to ignorant misshapen tall folk, so I assume that some may prefer to maintain this ruse regardless of D&D edition.

I personally prefer my dwarven females bearded, and they often employ perfumes, oils, and sophisticated styles of braiding and pleating to enhance their appeal (to male dwarves, at least). To prevent confusion, I remind my fellow that they tend to be rather, um, muscular and robust in certain regards which make them unmistakably female.

A simple multi-canon solution is to pretend that female dwarves might or might not appear bearded ... perhaps it varies by clan, perhaps they might even choose to shave.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  14:38:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the 'alchemical solution' theory - that works for me.

IMG, I have it where, within their own communities, female dwarves proudly sport their beards, and their men appreciate them. When amongst other cultures - where most of us encounter female dwarves (like in Waterdeep) - they follow the local 'norms' for such things (because dwarves HATE being the 'center of attention', and greatly dislike being stared at). Thats my take, anyway.

Thus, IMG, all female dwarves can have beards, but you will probably never see one like that.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Maybe some a-hole dwarves decided to "shame" some dwarf female who stood up against them by raping and shaving her, and in an act of community healing every other dwarf female shaved themselves and it became a trend.
WOW

And I thought I was the master of the 'shock post'. Thats some heavy s*** right there. Very 'Ellen Jamesian' (from The World According to Garp).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  15:32:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nehr's Potion of Hair Removal?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  04:29:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Different people find different things attractive. The fact that YOU do not find bearded women, orc/half-Orc women, or muscular women attractive does not mean that nobody does. After all, where do half-orcs come from? And no, they don't all have a tragic backstory:

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  15:26:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IMG, I have it where, within their own communities, female dwarves proudly sport their beards, and their men appreciate them. When amongst other cultures - where most of us encounter female dwarves (like in Waterdeep) - they follow the local 'norms' for such things (because dwarves HATE being the 'center of attention', and greatly dislike being stared at). Thats my take, anyway.

Thus, IMG, all female dwarves can have beards, but you will probably never see one like that.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Maybe some a-hole dwarves decided to "shame" some dwarf female who stood up against them by raping and shaving her, and in an act of community healing every other dwarf female shaved themselves and it became a trend.
WOW

And I thought I was the master of the 'shock post'. Thats some heavy s*** right there. Very 'Ellen Jamesian' (from The World According to Garp).

Yeah, but I can see it easily happening in communities where Duergar are being brought into the fold. Maybe they're used to women who do what they say. I can see this kind of thing opening old wounds too and restarting clan wars.

Oh, and yeah, I see female dwarves shaving... but I'm more inclined to an alchemical solution. Something that makes the hair fall out but leaves the skin supple still.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  00:29:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed with ESdB ... I just can‘t imagine why in the Nine Hells anyone might think drow are attractive, but the unusual preponderance (some might say “invasion“) of drow in 3E-onwards lore seems to suggest that my anti-drow (aw, I confess, my anti-elven) bigotry is something of a minority.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  13:44:15  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Agreed with ESdB ... I just can‘t imagine why in the Nine Hells anyone might think drow are attractive, but the unusual preponderance (some might say “invasion“) of drow in 3E-onwards lore seems to suggest that my anti-drow (aw, I confess, my anti-elven) bigotry is something of a minority.

Check out the old book covers from the "Starlight & Shadows" trilogy. Especially the one from "Tangled Webs" (the 2nd book). Liriel Baenre is smoking hot!

Even if you don't see "sexy" in the cover art, the books describe very well why drow are considered so attractive. The guys tend to have thin, but well muscled bodies. The women are usually thin, but shapely. Both genders have the fine, delicate facial features you would expect of elves.

I'm not saying that look is everybody's cup of tea, but look around. Men and women who meet that description tend not to lack for romantic attention. Also, the whole drow culture is dedicated toward manipulation and deceit. To that end, drow learn seduction from the time they are very young. So even when other races are not physically attracted to the drow, the drow can still draw them in most of the time.

The ones I have trouble understanding are ogres, orcs, and dragons. Ogres and orcs are depicted as not only physically repulsive, but also stupid, brutish, savage, and generally beneath most races in every conceivable category. There isn't any allure there.

Dragons are very impressive and engaging creatures, but I just couldn't. I remember when Jarlaxle was sleeping with that dragon in "Road of the Patriarch", and Entreri was appalled by the idea. Even if she's disguised as a beautiful woman, the thought of her being able to consume me in her natural form would ruin any possible attraction.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  14:08:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Dragons are very impressive and engaging creatures, but I just couldn't. I remember when Jarlaxle was sleeping with that dragon in "Road of the Patriarch", and Entreri was appalled by the idea. Even if she's disguised as a beautiful woman, the thought of her being able to consume me in her natural form would ruin any possible attraction.

That would add to the allure, for some people... I think most people -- especially in the heat of the moment -- would be more inclined to think of the current appearance of their partner, not what their partner looks like at other times.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  17:42:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, and some like dangerous playmates, just for thrills. Vampire, genie, demon, dragon - anything goes. Jarlaxle being a drow, it would be more surprising if this was not the case.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000