Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Do female dwarfs have a beards?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  23:43:54  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Dragons are very impressive and engaging creatures, but I just couldn't. I remember when Jarlaxle was sleeping with that dragon in "Road of the Patriarch", and Entreri was appalled by the idea. Even if she's disguised as a beautiful woman, the thought of her being able to consume me in her natural form would ruin any possible attraction.

That would add to the allure, for some people... I think most people -- especially in the heat of the moment -- would be more inclined to think of the current appearance of their partner, not what their partner looks like at other times.

Touche. The here and now does tend to overwhelm the senses.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  23:37:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to dwarves ...

I do recall a few mentions of male dwarves shaving their mighty beards, perhaps saving only two single strands, as a sign of extreme shame or penance for crimes against their clans. I imagine that extremist dwarves (and really, what dwarf isn‘t extremely serious?) Might react poorly to female dwarves who shave in similar fashion.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2013 :  17:13:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I updated the wiki page last night with canon info from actual FR sources - none of this 4e PHB nonsense where 'it's a common misconception that females have beards'.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2013 :  19:24:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I updated the wiki page last night with canon info from actual FR sources - none of this 4e PHB nonsense where 'it's a common misconception that females have beards'.

4E: It's a common misconception that it's a common misconception . . .

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2013 :  19:29:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps - somehow - the dwarven races were altered by the Spellplague or the 100-year timejump? It‘s reaching a bit, but nothing is impossible in the Realms.

“Canon“ is technically whatever is official and most recent, even though we might not agree with it and want our bearded dwarven ladies back! Just sayin‘ that personal bias (and even vehement rejections) aside, we must reluctantly recognize 4E lore as being proper canon.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2013 :  23:52:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Perhaps - somehow - the dwarven races were altered by the Spellplague or the 100-year timejump? It‘s reaching a bit, but nothing is impossible in the Realms.

“Canon“ is technically whatever is official and most recent, even though we might not agree with it and want our bearded dwarven ladies back! Just sayin‘ that personal bias (and even vehement rejections) aside, we must reluctantly recognize 4E lore as being proper canon.

But setting-specific lore trumps core lore. And in 4E FR lore, we have this, which I quoted earlier, from page 14 of the 4E Forgotten Realms Player's Guide:

quote:
They wear their black to dark brown hair long, and males (and rarely females) sport long beards, carefully oiled and groomed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  04:30:34  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pish posh - my vehement objections trump any 4th E lore :D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  04:50:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Pish posh - my vehement objections trump any 4th E lore :D

I'm not fan of 4E, either... But as I quoted a few days ago, 2E FR-specific lore, 3E FR-specific lore, and 4E FR-specific lore, all have dwarven ladies getting their beard on.

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  09:00:11  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've personally never been a fan of the idea of female dwarves having beards, just sounds too Lord of the Ring-sy (we don't need to pick up everything from LotR) and makes them more comical and ridiculous. I couldn't imagine any female player would be interested in playing a bearded dwarf woman either. So yeah I go with the idea that it's a rare phenomenon in my campaigns at least. Unless someone really wants to play that of course.

Edited by - deserk on 10 Nov 2013 09:01:56
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  16:56:59  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

I couldn't imagine any female player would be interested in playing a bearded dwarf woman either.

I played with one in the summer of this very year.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  17:13:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm not really into the idea of bearded woman, I do like the idea of dwarven women with beards, simply because it makes them different. It's not a huge difference, true, but it's still better than the basic "just like humans, only shorter and stockier" idea for dwarves. And the cultural aspects of beard pride are a nice variation, as well.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  02:44:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does <this> shed any light on the situation?

Bah! She ain't a real dwarf. She just be a wee human. A real dwarf woman would twerk her whiskers!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 12 Nov 2013 19:40:00
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  05:47:37  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That brings up an entirely different mental image considering the latest definition of the word 'twerking'.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000