Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 look at what I came across on deviant art
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  15:59:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-Faerun-392930278

its teh companion's world of faerun book map.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Aug 2013 16:09:30

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  16:01:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, it's a very nice B&W rendition of the Realms IMO.

Although, I wouldn't mind seeing it with some 'parchment' texture to give it that old-world look.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 13 Aug 2013 16:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  16:14:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC should have let Mike do the one in 2008. This one is a beauty...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  16:48:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sfdragon - I love you.

Thats not the 4e map, just the 4e layout. That map is light-years better then that ugly thing from the 4e FRCG.

EDIT: Wish it was bigger. And wasn't candlekeep separated from the mainland, or was that something else they back-peddled on? (or am I just remembering something wrong?)

EDIT2: Really lovin' that old-school feel.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Aug 2013 16:51:36
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Acolyte

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:22:37  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Markustay.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  17:23:14  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-Faerun-392930278

its teh companion's world of faerun book map.....

Mike Schley gets all the love.

Seriously, he's never drawn a map that I didn't like. They're all excellent. I hope he does all the new maps.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  23:46:20  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
eh I don't like the art style to be frank , I really have to focus on something to read or detail it, it all sorts of merges into on big blob, the fact that you use waves for waters, that look like mountains.

I would much rather prefer a wider map, using a more realistic method of mapping that you see on the forgotten realms wiki.

the map style I grew to love and be able to read well

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_maps/FRposterLarge_72.jpg

Edited by - silverwolfer on 13 Aug 2013 23:50:34
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  23:52:53  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, how did Halruaa get way over there? Halruaa looks to be where Dambrath used to be and Dambrath got moved more east where Luiren used to sit.

It also looks like Murandinn took over the Tethir from the elves.

And the Calim Desert switched sides, it used to be west of Calimport, now it's east of it.

I guess alot of those names i don't recognize are stuff from 4E.

I don't know, maybe it's just the one in the book, I sure hope we get something better down the road, it looks too busy or just a jumble to me right now, like it's hard to focus on.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  03:09:15  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Spellplague caused alot of geographic changes which is why stuff like the desert is so different.

I imagine alot of that will be changed back during the Sundering.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  05:59:30  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind different locations, (not speaking for rjfras) , I just don't like the 70's style mapwork.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  07:51:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah but then that map layout is also the inside art to a novel which silverwolfer is why it doesnt look as great as the 3.x ( that you posted)one and still looks better than the nightmare of colors that was the 4e one.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  09:36:56  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that map I really, really like. It might be my favourite Realms map ever (see I am able to be positive). Its the kind of map I would like to use as a homebrew and just change a lot of the names. I hope they don't do any "parchment" or colouring at a later time though, that would ruin it for me.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  14:06:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maps like that one in novels (and perhaps inside sourcebooks), and the Mike Shley full-colored FR maps like we got after the original FRCG one - thats would I would LOVE to see moving forward.

Keep the novel maps 'old school' - that has a lot of appeal - but newer gamers are going to want some flash, and Shley can bring it.

Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - sells a new setting better then an insanely great map; knock their socks off with that, and you'll have them eating out of your hand. Then after that, its all about content quality.

But the map IS 'first impression', and you only get to make that once. You turn them off in the beginning, it will be hard as hell getting them to take a second look.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Aug 2013 14:11:22
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  14:20:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah but then that map layout is also the inside art to a novel which silverwolfer is why it doesnt look as great as the 3.x ( that you posted)one and still looks better than the nightmare of colors that was the 4e one.

The poo-poo brown one?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  14:25:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but I just keep seeing this scene play out in my head...

"Its just not terrible enough! Show me another!"
"How about THIS one?" My 3-year-old drew it with a piece of charcoal she pulled from the fireplace."
"Hmmmmm... has potential... but it needs something... {pours cup of coffee all over it} There! Thats it! Give THAT to the ungrateful little buggers! Bwa ha ha ha!!!"

Yeah, I actually see that in my head... I'm strange like that. Thank god it seems the staff over there is in agreement with us now, and know that thing was an abomination. It probably drove-off half the fans by itself.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  19:00:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

The poo-poo brown one?

no the puke green one

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  19:07:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought their 'new & improved' 4e server was puke-green?

Anyone remember what the name of that fiasco was? They ditched that REAL fast.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  19:14:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a map done in the style of Numenera, with more details
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  20:00:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats actually a very easy style to emulate - its all done with prefab textures.

At least, if the one I just found is the one you are talking about. Wish I could find a bigger version.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Aug 2013 20:02:14
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  20:05:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I thought their 'new & improved' 4e server was puke-green?

Anyone remember what the name of that fiasco was? They ditched that REAL fast.

would you have preferred diarrhea yellow?

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  21:04:10  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nothing - and I mean NOTHING - sells a new setting better then an insanely great map; knock their socks off with that, and you'll have them eating out of your hand. Then after that, its all about content quality.

But the map IS 'first impression', and you only get to make that once. You turn them off in the beginning, it will be hard as hell getting them to take a second look.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very true although I would say you need decent artwork on your cover as well. Most folks, I think, assume that if your maps and artwork are shoddy, then the material inside will be as well. Of course, this is not actually true (at least not in every case), especially if a company is just starting out. And there is also fan material as well. Some really good (but low-budget) stuff can be found out there.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  16:33:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found a larger version Mr. Shley posted over at the Cartographer's Guild.

Out of respect for that site, I did not post a direct link to the map, but rather, to the thread where he himself posts a link to the map.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  20:39:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This post suggests that Schley's end sheet map is in fact the 5E Realms map.

I'd wager Schley mistaken, but you never know.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  20:56:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he does say he's going to be working on a full-colored version, so we may get some tweaks yet.

I guess 'High Imaskar' is staying...... {sigh}

Hatin' on that.

Mulhorand was derivative, so they decided to embrace 'uber-redundant' instead. If they bring back Halruaa, which seem to be the plan, then we end up with way too many 'magical empires' around.

I was also hoping for a connection between the Inner and Outer seas... guess not. We lost the canal, twice.*

EDIT:
The new bodies of water in The North are interesting - guess Anauroch is pretty-much gone now. Thats good - way to much desert there (I was never happy with that - a 'badlands' region would have suited better).

Gulthandor, Nathlan, Vesperin... all very intriguing.. me likely.

EDIT2:
I guess Arkanūl, Plaguewrought Lands, and the butt-crack (Undergasm) are all staying. *meh*
I suppose FR needed its own 'world wound'.

*EDIT3: Well, well... looks like there is a connection, via the former Golden Waters. A long way around, but better then nothing.

Grammatical corrections

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Aug 2013 12:12:18
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  22:09:58  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much like Mike Schley as a map artist, but I pray that is not the shape and form of 5E Faerun. Because based on the info we've gotten from the designers, we've pretty much been led to believe most of the Abeiran and Spellplague stuff was going away (Abeiran stuff drifting off to another planet). And here it hardly seems like it. It looks to be exactly the same as the 4E map.

Also it makes no sense considering the direct hints given out in the story of the Companions book where it is for example mentioned by one character that the Anauroch desert will return.

Edited by - deserk on 15 Aug 2013 22:10:47
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  22:38:16  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As maps go I quite like it...as for the things that we don't like...as a FR game designer (I can't recall which one) once pointed out, remember that the maps are a cartographer's interpretation much like the maps of the Medieval and Renaissance period were extremely detailed but quite often exaggerated depending on the preferences of the cartographer or the individual who commissioned it.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2013 :  23:11:43  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see the abarian things really going away to be honest, folks enjoy the various new gensai & dragonborn.

As far as the land they live on , it could go the way of the shou lung, and maztica. Mentioned once , or used for traveling characters, the various traveling shou you see in books.

As far as things actually go though, Griffion Company books show that section of the map has lots of wonderful potential for authors, versus every other book that comes out based on the swordcoast.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  00:07:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

I very much like Mike Schley as a map artist, but I pray that is not the shape and form of 5E Faerun. Because based on the info we've gotten from the designers, we've pretty much been led to believe most of the Abeiran and Spellplague stuff was going away (Abeiran stuff drifting off to another planet). And here it hardly seems like it. It looks to be exactly the same as the 4E map.

Also it makes no sense considering the direct hints given out in the story of the Companions book where it is for example mentioned by one character that the Anauroch desert will return.

it has been confirmed that this is indeed not the 5e realms map on twitter.

I saw the post that linked it here
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/30032517/The_Sundering:_The_Story?pg=15" target="_blank"> http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/30032517/The_Sundering:_The_Story?pg=15

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  00:08:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and yeah I dont see the arabian stuff going away and it btw has to sections of arabian stuff

calimshan and that other area to the south..... which is TOT atm

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  12:16:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So its like I figured - that isn't the 'finalized' version of the Realms (circa 5e). Thats good to know - we can all stop guessing now.

quote:
Originally posted by deserk

LOL - one of the few things I really like about the new layout is that Anauroch is gone. It would be a shame to bring back the desert in it's entirety.

Perhaps have it be like it was after the fall of Netheril, with the desert slowly expanding outward again - that could be kinda cool (with all the geo-political ramifications). I'm sure a lot of things are living in that region now that won't be too happy about having to move.

I don't see Luiren, and then I look over at Gulthandor... hmmmmm....

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Aug 2013 12:20:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  14:07:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread needs a better title - I had to dig-deep with my search-fu to find it.

Anyhow, I was studying this map yesterday (when I realized that my new project wasn't even possible - that you CAN'T make a 'map for all editions'). The area I am doing I call 'Shaareach' - the region more commonly known as the Eastern Shaar. The map covers the Elsir Vale, which is really Channath Vale (at least part of it), and is supposed to be used for Red Hand of Doom (3e) and Scales of War (4e). Problem is, that region got nuked during the Spellplague, and the maps in SoW do not reflect any of that. The region should look a LOT different, yet doesn't. Unlike the folks who wrote RHoD, the guys who worked on SoW didn't even make the slightest try to stick to FR canon (typical of the era, BTW).

So here I sit, staring at the supposed 5e map of Faerūn, and besides the Undergasm (yes, I know I spelled it wrong) - which is causing me some consternation - there are two other giant 'holes' to the Underdark. One of those is known because it is on the 4e campaign map, and is called 'The Deep Maw', a place I once tried to find info about but gave up (No-one seems to even now who's idea that thing was!) Its in Anauroch.

The other is - if you look at the map carefully - just SW of the text saying 'Dragon Coast', and NW of Nathlan (what the heck is Nathlan? Someone name something after their kid or something?) Looking at the 4e map, there is something called 'Lands Mouth' there (and what is Xian?) It appears that there are THREE holes in which our characters get to penetrate the underdark post-spellplague.

Thats right - three holes for penetration - the chasm, the Deep Maw, and the Mouth.

I don't think the 'Earth Mother' would be amused. So what are the Drow, some sort of Herpes?

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2013 14:09:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000