Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mysticism in D&D?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  13:57:09  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mysticism is one of my favourite schools of magic in The Elder Scrolls world and I'm wondering if there's anything similar to it in D&D. For those of you who don't know, Mysticism is a school of magic that can unravel the mysteries of the universe and magic.

Here's an official description of it:

The school of Mysticism can unravel the mysteries of the universe if properly applied. It can also tell you what is around the next corner, lying in wait for a hapless adventurer to wander by. Mysticism is one of the Schools of Magic. Mysticism was first developed by the Psijic Order*, long before there was a name for it.

The Psijic Order (or PSJJJJ) is an Altmeri (High Elven) monastic order or mages. It's also the oldest monastic order on Tamriel.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  16:22:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only "school" of Mysticism that I can think of at the moment that even comes close to what exists in The Elder Scrolls... would be the Mysticism system of magic that was used in the SAGA rules-set for the DRAGONLANCE campaign-era and beyond, into the 3e rules published by Sovereign Press.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  20:12:35  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one of the 3e prc's is called a mystic wanderer, and very unique for what it does, up to including gem magic and a few other oddities for a CHA based caster.

The majority of things in mystisim go by theses

Detect Life
Soul Trap
Dispel
Spell Absorption
Reflect Damage
Telekinesis
Reflect Spell

Those are all easily reproduced affects with most editions spell choices, besides 4e. If you want to reproduce soul trap and such, the gem magic system that mystic wander can use, is a great combination of reflecting that, before you get into high level spell choices.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  22:03:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also the Mystic kit in 2E PHBR4: Complete Wizard's Handbook and the Mystic subclass/variant wizard in "2.5E" Player's Option: Spells & Magic. Anecdotally, I've found most players tend to overlook these options because they don't feel the restrictions/tradeoffs are worth the gains, at least not in comparison with other exotic wizard types.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  03:26:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can almost turn the Meta-magic Feats into a type school of mysticism, since they enhance existing capabilties.

There was a Mystic class in Legends & Lore, IIRC (It was in the Vedic/India section, also IIRC).*

I was going to use Mysticism a lot when we were working on a K-T netbook project, but that never panned-out. I was going to use it as a type of magic-enhancing psionics (it what folks like Ninjas and Yogi would use in lieu of 'real' magic).

Some Incarnum stuff might work well for a Mystic.

*EDIT: It was actually called the Ascetic - I just checked. It was kinda mystical (like a cross between a priest and mage).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2013 03:31:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000