Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monstrous Weaponmasters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  02:04:39  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The forgotten realms is all about swords and sorcery, sometimes more extravagantly flashy than other settings. So in the spirit of first word in the genre, I'd like us all to share tales of awesome weaponry wielded deftly by nonhumans.

For example the ogre mage. In the novel Bloodwalk the Ogre-Mage Mahgra wields a rune engraved glaive (or perhaps a slightly more eastern style making it a naginata or guan-dao). An ogre sized naginata made from wood and steel would be about 12 feet long and would weigh at least 16 lbs (in d&d encumbrance lbs are usually added to polearms just to account for their unwieldyness, so it would probably weigh about 20 lbs).

In comparision, according to legend, the first glaive was invented by Guan Yu, a chinese general about the size of an ogre. His Green Dragon Crescent Blade was said to weigh over 100 lbs! Attaining mastery of such a brutal bludgeon of a weapon requires great strength, but also expert handling of the weapons center of balance.

In medieval times, the glaive was considered among masters of defence as the best weapon among the set of then available polearms (quarterstaff, half pike, bill, halberd, voulge, and partisan). A typical glaive is balanced almost exactly in the center of the length of the pole thanks to the weight of the swordblade and the bludgeon on its end. A glaive, guan dao or naginata can be spun and turned to allow for a large reach for stabbing, slashing, hooking or battering strikes. Some glaive are reinforced with steel to give the weapon a better chance at deflecting steel weapon strikes with the wooden shaft, enhancing the weapons defensive capabilities. Most incorprated the (albeit smaller) hook of a guisarme to aid in dismounting cavalry.

In the early renaissance expert halberiers and glaive wielders were considerd on par with swordsmasters of their times, thanks to these weapons improvements in design over the years. The glaive has several advantages over the sword. The glaive has reach, more leverage in comparison to the hilt of the small sword, enabling more efficient cuts; increased total weight of the weapon gives power to strikes and cuts and the weight at the end of the pole and the pole itself can be used both offensively and defensively. Swords, on the other hand, can be used to attack faster, have longer cutting edges (and therefore more striking surface and less area to grab), and were able to be more precisely controlled in the hands of an experienced swordsman.

An ogres lack of agility, something that could be ofset by rigurous training, is more than made up for in his strength. A master ogre glaive wielder could easily clear whole swathes of a battlefield, threatening soldiers from the safety of the reach of a 100 lbs weapon capable of homerunning a typical human being with its bludgeoning end or cleaving cleanly through steel, shield, rider and horse with its curved blade. Perhaps a spell of petrification on a wooden haft would make more sense for a ogre to have, since ogre tribes dont readily have access to forges. A stone glave, rune carved by shaman to deflect steel could add that defensive edge early renaissance glaivemasters had. Add a fire enchantment and I think I know why warfare on toril tends to stay local. Its utterly nightmarish to face monstrous weaponmasters!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  18:41:27  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always though that Mariliths would make awesome weapons masters. Having six arms combined with the inherent advantages of bring a greater demon is just a scary combo....
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2013 :  18:48:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am envisioning the House Do'Urden glyph: a spider with a different weapon on the end of each of its eight legs.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000