Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Clerics of Akadi and the Elemental Lords
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Fern
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  18:05:02  Show Profile  Visit John Fern's Homepage Send John Fern a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings!

For my next character I wish to explore a class of RP I've never delved into before and that is the Cleric. After looking through the gods in the forgotten realms pantheon (3rd edition) I finally found one that interested me and decided to go with Akadi, The Lady of Air.

After reading up on her and her faith on the various online sources available; a number of questions arised that I couldn't find the answers to so I turn to all of you for help!

1. I've seen numerous mention that the Elemental Lords are considered "Uncaring gods" which I presumed to mean that they had little interest in the events in Faerun or with cultivating a large following. What sets these elemental lords apart from the other gods?

2. Why would Akadi grant my cleric power... or any cleric for that matter if she has little interest in her followers?

3. On most of the online sources I read it seemed to point out that Akadi has no control over storms as that is the portfolio of Talos and Umberlee... I guess I'm a bit confused as to who has control over what if they're all sort of dealing with air and weather.

Thanks for your time!

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  18:39:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elemental lords are not "other gods". They are personifications of elements (or the ultimate elementals if you prefer) moonlighting as gods. That is, the "Gods" are subset of powers who need to feed on worship to survive, while "Elemental Lords" are another sort - they don't crave it, but simply don't turn down a snack when given one Hence the attitude.. For them, there's little more in it than "for the further glory..." satisfaction.
Thus, when Kossuth is equally okay with Black Flame and Order of the Phoenix, it's simply because the Smoldering Dictator is not even capable of giving a damn about such conceits of mortals... now veneration of "his" element as such is another business. And if the incoming spirits will be too much into it, he could just hand them down to archomental princes.

As to who is in charge... portfolios intersect. Elemental lords provide power over their elements, but they aren't personally involved like gods. So there's no "Akadi vs. Talos" issue, because Akadi have absolute power on the plane of Air, but isn't too concerned with what happens in some or other Prime world. And "a priest of Akadi vs. a priest of Talos" is between the priests and no different from a similar tug-o-war within the priesthood of either.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  23:08:04  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to put an idea , of Kossuth instead of akadi, as actually books have detailed the clergy and all that fun stuff.

1. They have powers, they are not "gods" but they are the powers before and during the gods time, before AO split the world, theses four either did not get involved or gave aid, depending on who you ask, so they were allowed to stick around.

2. Kossuth is uncaring, I don't know why exactly he would be against undead or such, but it seems the cleric powers seem to be such the current land of undead of all things. I think they are by majority sort of like how warlocks work, but on a HUGE HUGE HUGE LARGER BIG BIG BIG , larger scale, that they have divine power, by being near the start of time or creation , therefore can hand it out, but by not having the title of "gods" do not fall under the rules of AO as per the title,but get all benfts and glory , but just by the nature of what they are really don't care, as long as it does not deal with other elements they may be fighting or dealing with. Fire vs Undead ( who cares) Fire vs water (burn the entire temple down!!!!!)

3. Storms are storms, clouds water actions electricty , it is not WIND or WEATHER , sort of like how Shar is in charge of shades, the darkness, and all that silly stuff, but Mask gets shadows.
Go to Top of Page

John Fern
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  07:26:54  Show Profile  Visit John Fern's Homepage Send John Fern a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, very interesting, very helpful. I guess my next question would be then; what would be the goal of an adventuring Priest of Akadi, what kind of relationship would that cleric have with her and what would he need to do to gain her favor (and thus her aid)?
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  09:02:32  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better question is, what are you interacting with so we can help you.

Akadi had many allies, including Quorlinn and Syranita, but she was enemies with Grumbar, the elemental god of earth and a fellow greater power. The archomental Yan-C-Bin wanted to challenge her power, but in truth Akadi had no superiors among aerial beings.[6]

Teylas (an aspect of Akadi) was god of sky and storms of the Horde.

Although a primordial and not a god, Akadi acquired a fey aspect, and under the name Aerdrie Faenya has functioned as an active member of the Seldarine for millennia uncounted
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000