Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Difference between a Druid and Cleric of Nature
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  02:32:47  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the difference as far as duties and powers, between a druid of some nature god, and a cleric of such.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  05:40:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well only that occurs to me at first is a cleric of nature does not need to join the Driud order, that they in fact are more involved with nature spirits.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  14:19:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that a cleric would be more concerned with the people aspect of nature (them worshiping/protecting/respecting it), and Druids are more concerned with nature itself, and don't bother much with people. However I've seen examples of 'social' Druids as well.

I've personally never understood why we have both, except maybe that Druids are more 'countrified' (they stick to very rural areas). Clerics tend to work with farmers, ranchers, etc. But its more then just a regional thing - Druids are part of nature, while Nature clerics stand aside it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2013 14:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  15:57:08  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know for Chauntea at least, there is a conflict between the Druids and the Clerics.

quote:
Members of the Great Mother's clergy divide themselves into two factions of roughly equal size. Those clerics who minister to farmers and agricultural workers in cities, towns, and villages refer to themselves as Pastorals, while those in the wilder, older sect that caters to the wilderness call themselves, with a touch of arrogance, the True Shapers. Members of both sects recognize no central authority - theirs is a highly individualistic faith. Chauntea sets out a doctrine outlining a general sect of values and taboos, but how each cleric adapts this code for herself and her flock is largely a matter of personal interpretation.

They preach a respect for the natural world and emphasize programs of replanting, careful irrigation, and crop rotation to ensure that the earth is not despoiled.

Militant druids of Silvanus scoff at these lessons, however, claiming that the very act of agriculture is an affront to nature. It allows more people to live in a given area than can be sustained in the long term, and hence fosters overpopulation and environmental destruction, despite the best intentions of the Pastorals. They assert that over time, Chauntean agriculture, with its diverted waterflow, drained wetlands, and emphasis in supporting cities, will do irreparable damage to the natural balance. The Pastorals discount them, but such reaction screeds have caused a great deal of turmoil among the True Shapers (most of whom are themselves druids). Numbers of the more primal Chaunteans have become Silvanites in the last century, leading to a cooling of relations between even the more moderate members of both clergies.
- Faiths and Pantheons, pg. 18

This gives some insight, I think, into some of the conflicts that brew under the surface between druids and clerics, as well as the different views on how the balance, nature, and civilization is best served.

Edited by - Aldrick on 29 Jun 2013 15:57:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000