Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ibrandul - Ilmater alliance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  21:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met fellow scribes, a brief question for you: in Faiths & Avatars (AD&D), on Ilmater's entry, we can read the following:
quote:
ALLIES: Tyr, Torm, Ibrandul (now dead), Lathander

The same in Ibrandul's entry.

I made a research in both my AD&D and 3rd-edition material, but I couldn't find any description or further detail concerning this unusual alliance.
Has it ever been described anywhere?

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  22:07:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well from 2nd it appears to read this way.
quote:
PORTFOLIO: Caverns, dungeons, the Underdark, skulks
ALIASES: None
DOMAIN NAME: Formerly Phlegethon/Ibrandyllaran; currently adrift in the Astral Plane
SUPERIOR: None
ALLIES: Mask, Ilmater
FOES: Shar, Lathander, Lolth
SYMBOL: Four interlocking silver circles on a dark purple background
WOR. ALIGN.: CG, N, CN, NE, CE

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  22:16:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Opps wrong deity.

quote:
PORTFOLIO: Endurance, suffering, martyrdom, perseverence
ALIASES: Ayuruk (among the peoples of the Great Glacier)
DOMAIN NAME: Shurrock/Martyrdomain
SUPERIOR: Tyr
ALLIES: Tyr, Torm, Ibrandul (now dead), Lathander
FOES: Loviatar, Malar, Talos, Bane (now dead), Bhaal (now dead), Myrkul (now dead)
SYMBOL: A pair of white human hands bound at the wrists with blood-red cord or (older) a blood-stained rack
WOR. ALIGN.: Any

Can not find quickly why they got along, there again could be allied becuae shared dislike of others more.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Acolyte

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  23:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
there again could be allied becuae shared dislike of others more.

Yes, it could be a simpler explanation, but they don't share any common (cited) foe. In addition, Lathander is an ally of Ilmater and a foe of Ibrandul...

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  00:11:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ilmater is a heavily worshiped god in Calimshan...where Ibrandul had many of his own worshipers as well.

As for Lathander being his foe, Ibrandul and Lathander may simply be opposed on things...but not truly enemies that want each other's blood.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  19:33:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two of this guy's enemies were Shar and Lolth?

Talk about someone who needs to learn to pick their battles! He was doomed from the start.

Throw in the fact his 3rd enemy is one of the most popular goodly/surface deities and he bit off WAAAAY more then he could chew. Ilamtar is the god of the pathetic - he must have seen Ibrandul's foe-list and felt sorry for him.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  14:26:57  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ibrandul set free the skulks from slavery and Ilmater is fundamentally opposed to slavery. Perhaps that is why they are allied?

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  16:58:26  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they're allied due to the Calimshan connection. Ibrandul-worshipers in Calimshan are little better than raiders. I'd suggest pursuing the slavery angle & the mutual enemies. However, Ibrandul also offered sanctuary and defensive services to adventurers in the Underdark and his priests sacrificed a portion of their wealth every so often as well. Ilmater after all offered similar succor to those in evil strongholds, but you rarely read about their Underdark presence. Perhaps the alliance existed solely because Ibrandul's clergy performed similar actions that Ilmateri ones would have if their numbers in the Underdark were more significant.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  14:48:56  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I recently re-read a lot of lore on Calimshan and apparently (with the notable exception of the Janessar), the Church of Ilmater avoids preaching about slavery in Calimshan. It's the major difference between calishite churches and tethyrian ones. Presumably, they don't want to ruffle too many feathers.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000