Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Interview with Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:24:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all!

Long time lurker here. I recently conducted an interview with Ed for my YouTube channel - The Gentleman's Guide to Gaming. It's a lengthy one, but there's some excellent realmslore in there. I've handily time-stamped segments so you can jump straight to parts that interest you.

http://youtu.be/7G3uMX4ZxpU

Of interest to a good few of you will be the part on the Dark Three...

My sincerest thanks to Ed for the opportunity to interview him. It was great fun!

Matthew (The Gentleman Gamer)

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:26:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, you cornered Ed in his basement writing lair, I see. Tidiest I've ever seen it.
Great interview. You're a very pleasant interviewer, Matthew. Bravo!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2012 :  21:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for saying so!

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  00:25:53  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
holy crap! I certainly was not expecting a 2 and a half hour interview with Ed

I'm only 15 minutes into the interview.... back to listening...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  01:44:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know where I'll find the time but this is a must tonight.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  02:24:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for this!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  03:31:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. Thank you for that.

You made the classic "let me tell you about my character" (Eveningstar) faux pas, but that is a gamer tradition, I suppose.

The Flash Gordon 'RPG' (and I use that term very hesitantly) was made by FGU - the company I once worked for. It was disappointing for everyone involved, because the owners of the IP insisted it follow the stories precisely, which left out most of the actual RPG elements. Still, it was a great resource for someone wanting to run a real FG RPG using another set of rules. It was one of the many things I lost last year (I had every FGU product ever made).

Lionmen and Hawkmen - I feel you there. Gotta love that old-school cheese.

Great interview - lotsa good info.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Dec 2012 03:33:09
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  16:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite excited about Ed's upcoming Pathfinder Tales novel, whatever it may be. Also, Ed describes exactly the type of Realms fan I am approximately 31 minutes into the interview!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  17:13:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - maybe it will be Elminster in Golarion.

(Just making a joke based on how he says all they {WotC} will ever let him write is Elminster novels).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  23:10:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this excellent gift. Sincerely.

Love Eds explenation on the workings of the weave on other planes. Carrying a weave bubble around at all times to tap into the magic of a world makes so much sense to me now, and it is visually pleasing to my minds eye as well. Planar effects (be they chaotic, elemental or radiant) might be represented interacting (in)visibly with such a energy tapping bubble, giving clues to experienced planeswalkers or mages what spells are being cast or tampered with. Love Ed's thinking.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  23:20:35  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I skimmed it, will have to listen to the whole thing another time, but I did agree on one thing Ed mentioned. He didn't like how close to real-world analogues that Maztica and Kara-Tur were. Which is true. I didn't know questions were being taken for this interview because I would've loved to ask Ed if either he or WotC were ever going to make moves to push more lore for Maztica/Zhakara/Kara-Tur and the other continents?
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  23:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice interview, thanks.

It did keep me awake until 2.30 am watching it though! Lol
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  00:45:17  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved the interview; watched it all.

I'm glad to see that Ed and I share similar tastes where it comes to likes and dislikes about the setting. It makes me even more confident of the future when it comes to 5E.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  01:00:10  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two and a half hours?? Wow he's dedicated! I am going to watch this later though since I am writing an essay...
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  20:41:41  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic stuff! Thank you for the interview, for posting it, and to Ed for giving it. I particularly enjoyed the glimpse into the aforementioned basement lair...Lol.

Now if I only could make out where the portal is in that basement...I didn't see a giant wardrobe...hmmmm...

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  00:41:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had intended on viewing this at work, but I don't think I can explain a two-hour break from coding with watching an interview with Ed Greenwood.

I'll watch it at home on the weekend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Dec 2012 08:03:38
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  06:15:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very glad to hear Ed's writing more web content for WotC and more Eye on the Realms articles.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  07:28:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting this. I am listening to it now.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  10:33:51  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to post a downloadable audio version of this interview? YouTube is blocked at work and the streaming speed at home in my country is too slow to load a 2 hour video without taking 2 days.

Would really love to hear this on my weekly hour-long commute home.

Edited by - questing gm on 21 Dec 2012 10:34:38
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2012 :  09:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm quite happy with anyone downloading the video and posting it somewhere in audio format for Questing GM, although I don't have any hosting facility for it.

Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  06:06:18  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was able to listen to the interview thanks to the efforts of a very kind scribe!

I'm really glad to have listen to it, especially knowing what Ed thought about the place of the gods that he envisioned in his Realms.

Ed's mention of Malaysia (in the analogy about planting tomatoes in the garden) had me grinning like an idiot, when I was listening to it on the train.

Edited by - questing gm on 26 Dec 2012 06:20:55
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  00:46:08  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a great video thank you for the interview. I will probably watch it again since there are great stuff of lore in it and I really like Ed as a speaker/narrater when he talks about Weave and stuff. Waiting for a second interview with Ed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000