Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 transitions trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  10:02:08  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
just wanted to get a few opinions.ive just finished it and thought it was a massive improvement on the hb trilogy.the orc king was great and i thought pirate was one of ras best ever novels.ghost king was so so but i put that down to a rather dull antagonist and a duller than dull cadderly.anyway just wanted to see if i was in the minority.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  13:03:05  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed on the duller than dull Cadderly. I found myself liking him less and less the more he came into his powers in the cleric quintet, and by the time I got to the servant of the shard I really didn't like him anymore. I hated the Orc King, though. The HB trilogy bored me, and that book felt like an extra book 4 after I had finished three books already with events in a region I cared little about, and characters that had morphed into something I no longer liked as much. I did enjoy the pirate king, though. The secondary characters (by secondary, I mean the ones that were integral to the story that were not the companions of the hall) were far more interesting, and I enjoyed watching Luskan implode.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  13:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who enjoyed large swaths of the Hunter's Blades trilogy, I actually disliked the Orc King immensely, which surprised me as Obould remains my favorite character that Bob has ever written for.

But the book, over all, was terrible. Out of all of them I think it was the one that was much too aware of itself. The characters didn't feel like actual people having believable conversations even within the context of the universe they lived in. Their conversations were way too on the nose.

The Pirate King, on the other hand, is one of my favorite RAS books as it's the best of the "Drizzt books without Drizzt" that he's been accused of writing these last few years. The moral questions raised in Pirate King are a lot more interesting an thought provoking than in the Ghost King and aren't completely swept under the rug like in the Orc King.

The Ghost King I didn't care for much, liked it better than the Orc King but not as much as Pirate King. It's one of the worst offenders when it comes to accusations of RAS' protagonists being overpowered. Cadderly...well, I haven't read the Clerical Quintet, but lets just say I'm not surprised why books about this guy didn't generate sales.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  13:46:53  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I liked the Orc King and hope to see more of Tosun in the future. Watching Drizzt interact with a Drow other than Jarlaxle in a friendly manner actually is appealing to me.

Alustriel was handled a bit better in this book as well. you get an inkling of her true power for once, although I would have liked to see her put the fear of god in that orc army. Catti brie getting trained by an archmage wetted my appetite for more. Sadly, we never got it.

The two swords felt so.....unfinished. This book did a good job wrapping it up.

I hated the pirate king. I liked a few elements with Obould showing up early, knowing we were going to see Robillard and Deudermont again, as well as the Harpells and Wulfgar. But I hated where they went with the book. The fireball and Lightning bolt only wizards gets old. especially when you are dealing with the arcane brotherhood and expect more real magic to see use. Greeth nuking thousands in a stroke was awesome, but that was as far as it got for me. Seeing the head Lich get killed by a lightning spell in a book was among the worst of blunders from those who believe shared world fantasy should, well, share the same rules.

I was going to post my reviews from the first day I read them, but it seems I cannot find my Orc King review.
Here is my review of the pirate king
http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/4162/THe-Pirate-King-Review-SPOILERS?page=1#.UKJN1tkXWJg

And the ghost king
http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/4907/The-Ghost-king-WARNING-Review-with-Spoilers?page=1#.UKJOstkXWJg

in any case, those were from right after I finished the book so they hold a lot of my first read thoughts.

Edited by - Firestorm on 13 Nov 2012 13:48:47
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  13:58:52  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

As someone who enjoyed large swaths of the Hunter's Blades trilogy, I actually disliked the Orc King immensely, which surprised me as Obould remains my favorite character that Bob has ever written for.

But the book, over all, was terrible. Out of all of them I think it was the one that was much too aware of itself. The characters didn't feel like actual people having believable conversations even within the context of the universe they lived in. Their conversations were way too on the nose.

The Pirate King, on the other hand, is one of my favorite RAS books as it's the best of the "Drizzt books without Drizzt" that he's been accused of writing these last few years. The moral questions raised in Pirate King are a lot more interesting an thought provoking than in the Ghost King and aren't completely swept under the rug like in the Orc King.

The Ghost King I didn't care for much, liked it better than the Orc King but not as much as Pirate King. It's one of the worst offenders when it comes to accusations of RAS' protagonists being overpowered. Cadderly...well, I haven't read the Clerical Quintet, but lets just say I'm not surprised why books about this guy didn't generate sales.

Since when? The numbers I saw from my friend who works in wholesale(Supplying bookstores like chapters, Coles) might surprise you.

Sure it was not the best selling series, but it was up there in the top 20 when looking at only non-Drizzt novels in forgotten realms.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  14:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Since when? The numbers I saw from my friend who works in wholesale(Supplying bookstores like chapters, Coles) might surprise you.

Sure it was not the best selling series, but it was up there in the top 20 when looking at only non-Drizzt novels in forgotten realms.

Eh, it's something I heard second hand, so I'm not surprised it was incorrect. Still, nothing I saw from that book gave me the slightest desire to read the Quintet.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:03:05  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Eh, it's something I heard second hand, so I'm not surprised it was incorrect. Still, nothing I saw from that book gave me the slightest desire to read the Quintet.

I was bored with the first book of the Cleric Quintet. However I do love the second and third book(Pitiful portrayal the night masks got aside). The 4th book was good, and the 5th book was ok as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:06:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Personally I liked the Orc King and hope to see more of Tosun in the future. Watching Drizzt interact with a Drow other than Jarlaxle in a friendly manner actually is appealing to me.

Alustriel was handled a bit better in this book as well. you get an inkling of her true power for once, although I would have liked to see her put the fear of god in that orc army. Catti brie getting trained by an archmage wetted my appetite for more. Sadly, we never got it.

I hated the pirate king. I liked a few elements with Obould showing up early, knowing we were going to see Robillard and Deudermont again, as well as the Harpells and Wulfgar. But I hated where they went with the book. The fireball and Lightning bolt only wizards gets old. especially when you are dealing with the arcane brotherhood and expect more real magic to see use. Greeth nuking thousands in a stroke was awesome, but that was as far as it got for me. Seeing the head Lich get killed by a lightning spell in a book was among the worst of blunders from those who believe shared world fantasy should, well, share the same rules.

I was going to post my reviews from the first day I read them, but it seems I cannot find my Orc King review.
http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/4162/THe-Pirate-King-Review-SPOILERS?page=1#.UKJN1tkXWJg

And the ghost king
http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/4907/The-Ghost-king-WARNING-Review-with-Spoilers?page=1#.UKJOstkXWJg

in any case, those were from right after I finished the book so they hold a lot of my first read thoughts.

I didn't hate Tosun and wouldn't mind seeing more of the guy, though I didn't much care for the part where he cut off an orc's head and put it face down in the orc's own crotch. Normally don't mind dark humor but that did nothing for me.

Catti going wizard was one of the worst parts of the series for me- I didn't mind the concept, but they did it and did nothing with it, so it might as well not have happened at all. I have a friend who stopped reading Salvatore books flat out once I told him that Catti becomes a wizard in TOK; he honestly thought I was making it up at first. But it happened and nothing came of it.

Then again, it's probably for the best. I don't think it's unfair to say that writing wizards is far from RAS' strongsuit.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:10:45  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And the ghost king

I didn't hate Tosun and wouldn't mind seeing more of the guy, though I didn't much care for the part where he cut off an orc's head and put it face down in the orc's own crotch. Normally don't mind dark humor but that did nothing for me.

Catti going wizard was one of the worst parts of the series for me- I didn't mind the concept, but they did it and did nothing with it, so it might as well not have happened at all. I have a friend who stopped reading Salvatore books flat out once I told him that Catti becomes a wizard in TOK; he honestly thought I was making it up at first. But it happened and nothing came of it.

Then again, it's probably for the best. I don't think it's unfair to say that writing wizards is far from RAS' strongsuit.

No, it is perfectly reasonable to say that. It seems their repertoires are fairly limited to "things that cannot hurt Drizzt"

But I ranted enough about that the other day
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:12:36  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have liked the Orc King if 1) it wasn't told from the future backwards, that was just confusing and I really felt like Bob didn't want to do the time jump but was forced into it (and it turns out, he didn't) and 2) I hadn't just read 3 crappy (my opinion) books about the thousand orcs etc.

I loved Pirate King, although I completely agree with Firestorm about Greeth's death (I really dislike in shared worlds when there are inconsistencies like this...eg Alustriel v the drow army or Aznar Thrull not having any contingency type spells on him, DO YOUR HOMEWORK WRITERS). But because I like Robillard so much, I overlook that illogical use of shocking grasp to kill a lich.

Ghost King was awesome to me, but I like Cadderly and Danica a lot. As well as Kimmuriel and Jarlaxle. I hate Athrogate though.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  15:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I love Athrogate. Hell, I like him better than Jarlaxle.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  22:07:02  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved "THBT". It gave all the Companions time in the limelight, without them being their traditional unified adventure group. It gave me a wonderful villain to hate, in Obould. And it offered up a problem that the Companions couldn't summarily vanquish, which so many people had been complaining about in past books.

But after all that Obould in my craw, I wanted to see him die in the next one. After my first read-through of The Orc King, I was royally ticked! Peace treaty with that goon?! Ugh!

In retrospect, I have come to respect that decision, because it really does show us a problem that the Companions could not just wipe away with super melee powers. They had to deal with him in other ways.

And the rest of his orcs weren't dumb chumps, either! There was a lot of orc intrigue in that one. I liked having villains who posed a real challenge. It's fun when I can really hate the bad guys, instead of just looking at them as interchangeable fodder (like Bob's Ashmadai zealots or Shadovar).

The Baffenburg side-story was another dead end, IMO, just like Cat's wizard training. It seemed like much ado about nothing.

The Pirate King was great because it presented a heroic protagonist in Deudermont and notable villain in the high captains, who once again offered up a conundrum that just couldn't be solved simply, like days of old.

The Ghost King was fun because of the power-ups to Drizzt and Cadderly, like in video games. But I never liked Cadderly and his religious story arc in "TCQ", so he didn't perk my interest much here, either. It was sad to lee the cathedral lain to waste like that, but it is pretty much what I would expect from ol' Hephy. The deaths at the end were done well, IMO--their senselessness and the despair in the survivors fit the mini-series' overall theme and the Spellplague concept perfectly, for me. I loved Drizzt's confession that he (like so many fanbois & -gurls) had always arrogantly assumed that the Companions would prove invincible, but this ordeal smacked him right up side the head with a cold dose of reality. This almost felt like a little belated nod from Bob to some of his critics, IMO.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 13 Nov 2012 22:10:12
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  22:23:04  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re.: "TCQ"'s sale numbers. I always heard that the first run's sales were unimpressive. TSR and Bob decided to set Drizzt aside, and Bob decided to start a new Realms series because it was something of interest to him, but the fans still wanted more Drizzt. They may have even resented the cleric being offered up in the ranger's place. The calls for Drizzt eventually led to Bob writing both series at the same time. The Legacy, OTOH, was anticipated as being so successful that it was actually released as Bob's first hardcover.

I don't know exactly when TSR's money troubles reared their ugly head, but it's possible that TSR may have seen "TCQ" as a poor achiever for them and pushed Bob back into the Drizzt story line for their bottom line, too.

The more recent re-release of "TCQ" may have fared better because of it being marketed as a sort of prequel to The Ghost King. It wasn't being offered instead of Drizzt tales--fans knew that Bob was still writing Drizzt, and the Cadderly books were just an optional addition to the main story, instead of a substitute.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 13 Nov 2012 22:24:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000