Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Old version of The Crystal Shard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jcfore21
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  15:01:31  Show Profile Send jcfore21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After reading the Dark Elf trilogy, I started reading The Crystal Shard. I was shocked to read that Drizzt had lived over 200 years in the Underground(instead of underdark) and 5 years on the surface. This blew my mind since at the end of the Dark Elf trilogy he was on in his 40's.

Can someone explain if my version of The Crystal Shard is an older edition?

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  15:04:17  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall reading this, I too thought that he was in his 40s in the events on The Crystal Shard trilogy.

BEAST, take this one
Go to Top of Page

jcfore21
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  15:25:18  Show Profile Send jcfore21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The dark elf pulled his cloak tighter about him. He felt as vulnerable in the sunlight as a
human would in the dark of night. Two hundred years of living many miles below ground
had not been erased by five years on the sunlit surface. To this day, sunlight drained and
dizzied him.
But Drizzt had traveled right through the night and was compelled to continue."
-The Crystal Shard, Chapter 2 - On the Banks of Maer Dualdon
Go to Top of Page

jcfore21
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  15:31:04  Show Profile Send jcfore21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then again when Drizzt first sees the demon Errtu:

"Kelvin's Cairn loomed much larger before Drizzt caught up to the band. His sensitivity to
creatures of the lower planes, brought about by centuries of associating with them in
Menzoberranzan, told him that he was nearing the demon before it came into sight."
-The Crystal Shard, Chapter 24 - Cryshal-Tirith
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  16:02:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have an earlier edition of the novel, maybe even an original release. His age was retconned when the Dark Elf trilogy came out. Not really sure why, unless it was to make for a shorter tale. BEAST may know; he is something of an expert on RAS's FR material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Oct 2012 16:02:55
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  16:53:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, that's the older edition's version of events. I have the original paperback, which was simply called The Crystal Shard, as there was no "Icewind Dale Trilogy" yet. He was over 200, back in the day (200 below ground, and 5 above). This is because he was meant to be a sort of mentor to the young Wulfgar, and Bob thought Drizzt should be old enough to have a bit of gravitas.

But this age began to change almost immediately. The 1E lorebook Hall of Heroes, published just one year after The Crystal Shard, has character write-ups by Bob about his characters, and the one on Drizzt had him at about 70 years of age at the end of The Crystal Shard. There are certain events in Drizzt's past in that lorebook which were revised later, too.

Most notably, when Bob wrote "The Dark Elf Trilogy" later on, he revised the length of Drizzt's life, making him much younger (only in his 40s) when arriving in Icewind Dale. And he's never really explained to us why this is. Methinks it's just because he ran out of material, or the page count limits forced him to cut things off after he'd only told about 40 years worth of story. The end result is that Drizzt spends about 31 years in Menzo, then another 10 in the Underdark in exile, and then 6 years on the surface before finally arriving in Icewind Dale. That places him at 47 when arriving in the Dale.

Nevertheless, The Crystal Shard continued to be reprinted with the old age of 205 years, though, throughout the '90s, but adding the "Icewind Dale Trilogy, Book I" blurb.

Another, 2E, lorebook, Heroes' Lorebook, gave a revised write-up on Drizzt, which described him as being about 140 years old by the end of Siege of Darkness. But, obviously, this is at odds with all of Bob's writings on the drow ranger.

It wasn't until The Icewind Dale Collector's Edition was published around 1999 that his age was finally officially revised, to match "The Dark Elf Trilogy". Drizzt was described as having lived more than a half a century below ground. (My calculations placed him at 52 at the beginning of The Crystal Shard, and only having spent 41 years in the Underdark.) And he was said to have spent about a decade on the surface (with my calculations showing 11 years), and the last five in Icewind Dale proper.

Methinks 52 years of age would still seem plenty "old" to a teenaged barbarian lad, no matter the mentor's race!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 31 Oct 2012 02:19:24
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  16:54:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In earlier editions of D&D, perhaps Dark Elves were not considered adults until a certain age? "Normal" elves in AD&D (1e) were not adventurers until a certain age depending on their class...the youngest they would be is 106 years old for a starting elven thief.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

jcfore21
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  17:08:50  Show Profile Send jcfore21 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome this is good to know. So is my version still applicable? Or in other words did he revise anything else?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  17:24:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I recall reading, he was only to be a supporting character. Not the main one, however he appears to have taken off better then planned.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  17:29:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcfore21

Awesome this is good to know. So is my version still applicable? Or in other words did he revise anything else?

So far as I can recall, the age was all that was changed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  17:29:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

From what I recall reading, he was only to be a supporting character. Not the main one, however he appears to have taken off better then planned.

It was in a Dragon interview, long ago, and was later repeated elsewhere. Drizzt was intended to be Wulfgar's sidekick.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  17:30:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Aye, that's the older edition's version of events. I have the original paperback, which was simply called The Crystal Shard, as there was no "Icewind Dale Trilogy" yet.

As I recall, the original cover also had a line about "from the publishers of the Dragonlance Saga!" on it.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  17:31:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I remember hearing this too that Wulfgar was to be the original focus of Salvatore's work. Drizzt became wildly popular so he rolled with it.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  19:07:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't find the original Dragon article, but I know it was in there... I found this, though:

quote:
When I later discovered the actual size and scope of the Realms and was told that TSR did not want to share characters (as they did with the DRAGONLANCE saga), I was truly relieved, and that was the end of it--for a time.

Then the proposal got accepted, and when Mary Kirchoff, then senior editor in TSR's book department, told me I'd be writing the second FORGOTTEN REALMS novel, she reminded me that now we had to set the book thousands of miles from Doug's stomping ground, I needed a new sidekick for Wulfgar. I assured her that I'd get right on it and come up with something the following week.

"No, Bob," she responded, words I seem to hear too often from editors. "You don't understand. I'm going into a meeting right not to sell this proposal. I need a sidekick."

"Now?" I, in my never-before-in-the-world-of-publishing naivete, responded.

"Right now," she answered, rather smugly.

And then it happened. I don't know how. I don't know why. I merely said, "A drow."

There came a pause, followed by, in a slightly hesitant tone, "A dark elf?"

"Yeah," I said, growing more confident as the character began to take more definite shape in my mind. "A drow ranger."

The pause was longer this time. Then, in barely a whisper, the tremor of having to go tell this one to the mucky-mucks evident in her tone, she said, "What's his name?"

"Drizzt Do'Urden, of D'aermon N'achezbaeron, Ninth House of Menzoberranzan."

"Oh." Another pause. "Can you spell that?"

"Not a chance."

"A drow ranger?"

"Yup."

"Drizzit?" she asked.

"Drizzt," I corrected, for the first of 7.3 million times.

Source is http://www.rasalvatore.com/sidemenu/sampleChapters/de.html

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Oct 2012 19:07:59
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  19:38:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcfore21

Oh yeah, it's still certainly applicable.

The other revisions that have come about in later editions have been pretty minor.

The first edition featured an awkward break between "Book II" and "Book III": it didn't really match up with the "Epilogue" or story arc of Book II, at all--it just sort of got thrown in there, willy-nilly (printing press error). They later changed that to "Parts", and put the break in its proper place, so that Part II ends with an Epilogue, and then Part III begins.

The month of "September", when we first meet Drizzt and Regis, was changed to "Eleint" (the proper FR name for the month). And "weeks" were changed to "tendays".

It should be pointed out that Bob's earlier order of events concerning the gnome massacre, and the moon/wood elf massacre, and the killing of Masoj Hun'ett was also changed in "The Dark Elf Trilogy", but that has never been revised in any of the later editions of The Crystal Shard. The events are all there, but their sequence is still mixed up.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  19:44:32  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It was in a Dragon interview, long ago, and was later repeated elsewhere. Drizzt was intended to be Wulfgar's sidekick.

There's also this old 2001 Atlas of Adventure interview (www.atlasofadventure.com/interviews/RAS.asp" target="_blank">http://web.archive.org/web/20010426083955/www.atlasofadventure.com/interviews/RAS.asp):
quote:
There are two reasons why I brought him [Wulfgar] back. One, I felt bad that he had become a shallow character, because the book [The Crystal Shard] was supposed to have been about him. This “Dark Elf” [Drizzt] kind of nudged in and pushed everybody out of the way. I really wanted to explore him more deeply, which I think I have done since I brought him back.

Edited by - BEAST on 31 Oct 2012 02:16:42
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  18:36:20  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the original version of the crystal shard there is a mention of september as well.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  10:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It should be pointed out that Bob's earlier order of events concerning the gnome massacre, and the moon/wood elf massacre, and the killing of Masoj Hun'ett was also changed in "The Dark Elf Trilogy", but that has never been revised in any of the later editions of The Crystal Shard. The events are all there, but their sequence is still mixed up.

And this all got published? And became canon until retconned in The Dark Elf Trilogy?

And here people demand perfect coherence from fanfic or original works...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  19:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Most notably, when Bob wrote "The Dark Elf Trilogy" later on, he revised the length of Drizzt's life, making him much younger (only in his 40s) when arriving in Icewind Dale. And he's never really explained to us why this is. Methinks it's just because he ran out of material, or the page count limits forced him to cut things off after he'd only told about 40 years worth of story. The end result is that Drizzt spends about 31 years in Menzo, then another 10 in the Underdark in exile, and then 6 years on the surface before finally arriving in Icewind Dale. That places him at 47 when arriving in the Dale.

I'd imagine part of the reason would be that Bob wanted Drizzt to be a played-straight hero and he realized that more than a century in drow society without either having done some fairly unheroic things or getting killed was too much of a stretch, so he had him run away well before that.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  17:44:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

And this all got published? And became canon until retconned in The Dark Elf Trilogy?

And here people demand perfect coherence from fanfic or original works...

It all got published, and then "The Dark Elf Trilogy" was published which revised the sequence of events, and the The Crystal Shard has been re-released in multiple different later editions, all of which have retained the original sequence of events.

There's also a little blurb in TCSh which says that Drizzt was leaving Menzo to go to another drow city when he killed Masoj, but Homeland changed that to say that Drizzt was just heading out of Menzo to collect his thoughts when Masoj ambushed Drizzt and got killed.

Go figure.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  17:46:29  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I'd imagine part of the reason would be that Bob wanted Drizzt to be a played-straight hero and he realized that more than a century in drow society without either having done some fairly unheroic things or getting killed was too much of a stretch, so he had him run away well before that.

When Bob decided that Drizzt would become the star of the show, he may have thought that it would work better to have the drow young, so that he could have more time to tell a fuller tale with him. If he had kept Drizzt old to begin with, then he might've been pressured to kill him off sooner.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  19:04:07  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

When Bob decided that Drizzt would become the star of the show, he may have thought that it would work better to have the drow young, so that he could have more time to tell a fuller tale with him. If he had kept Drizzt old to begin with, then he might've been pressured to kill him off sooner.

I wonder,assuming that the case, if he ever regretted that decision, given the rumors a few years back that he wanted to put down Drizzt and move onto other projects and stayed on only because they told him they'd just have someone else write their cash cow instead.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  20:23:52  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder,assuming that the case, if he ever regretted that decision, given the rumors a few years back that he wanted to put down Drizzt and move onto other projects and stayed on only because they told him they'd just have someone else write their cash cow instead.

I think those rumors sprung up right around the time realms of the underdark came out and Mark Anthony wrote that short story with Zaknafein and a very young Drizzt, along with a character who disappeared. Jalynfein the spider mage, an archmage Drow in menzo.

Not sure if they were true or not, but I doubt it
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  20:51:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it is true that RAS and TSR at one point were in disagreement, and there was a Drizzt book written by another author... The issues between RAS and TSR were resolved, though.

Read this:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

quote:
From Mark Anthony

Dear Brian,

I'm constantly surprised how many emails I still receive regarding SHORES OF DUSK. It seems a number of people remain curious about what happened to the book. So, yes, feel free to post this reply to your mailing list, if you think others will be interested.

The story behind SHORES OF DUSK and its eventual cancellation is really pretty simple, at least from my end of things. A few years ago, after he began writing for Del Rey, R. A. Salvatore was unable to come to an agreement with TSR to keep writing the Drizzt series. I'm not aware of the exact reasons for this--you'd have to ask Bob about that. One factor might have been a "no-compete" clause in his contract with Del Rey. (This is quite common--publishers usually want their authors to write only for them.) There may have been other factors, such as compensation. (At the time, TSR was in pretty dire financial straits.)

Regardless, Brian Thomsen, then Executive Editor at TSR, approached me to write a new novel starring Drizzt. Brian was of course familiar with my writing, as I had done several novels for TSR, and I he had previously assigned me to write a novella set in the Drizzt milieu as a sort of test, which I apparently passed ("The Fires of Narbondel" in REALMS OF THE UNDERDARK). I'll be honest--writing about Drizzt was not my idea, and it was not something I would have sought out myself, but Brian asked me, and so I accepted.

I wrote what I thought was a fun and interesting novel, trying to be as sensitive to the characters and worlds Bob Salvatore had created as I possibly could. It was without doubt the most difficult book I had ever written for TSR, as I worked hard to stay true to Bob's earlier novels. It was also made difficult by the fact that Bob was clearly unhappy that someone else was writing a novel about Drizzt. Not that I could really blame him--but therein lies the danger of writing in a licensed world like the Forgotten Realms.

Anyway, as things turned out, just months before SHORES OF DUSK was to be published, TSR was bought (and saved from bankruptcy) by Wizards of the Cost. Brian Thomsen was replaced as editor by Mary Kirchoff (who had headed up the book department before him). She managed to work out a deal with Del Rey that allowed Bob Salvatore to write for both publishers, and Bob was still interested in writing Drizzt novels. With Bob back, there was no need for my novel, and so the project was canceled. I did get paid for it, but obviously only a fraction of what I would have gotten had it seen publication.

It was disconcerting, of course, to have the book canceled so close to publication. Ads for it had already appeared in Dragon Magazine! But I can't blame Mary for her decision. The Drizzt novels were TSR's biggest asset, and a Drizzt novel by Bob Salvatore is certainly worth more than one by anyone else, no matter how well written or researched it might be. So I certainly bear TSR/WotC no hard feelings in the matter.

In fact, later on, Mary Kirchoff offered me a Forgotten Realms trilogy, which was very kind of her. However, I had to turn the project down. By that time, I had sold my own fantasy series to Bantam Spectra, and I had neither the time to write a trilogy for TSR, nor could I legally do so, given the no-compete clause in my own contract with Bantam. And the fact is, I'd much rather write novels set in my own worlds starring my own characters.

So everything turned out well in the end. Bob Salvatore got to keep writing Drizzt, which I'm sure his fans appreciate. And I got to write my own fantasy series. It's doing well by the way. The third of six books, THE DARK REMAINS, is due out February 27th. I'm glad to hear people enjoyed the books I wrote for TSR, and I believe my current books are a big leap above those in quality, so I hope you'll check them out. You can learn more at my web site: http://www.thelastrune.com

Well, I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to pass the word along to others. And if you have any further questions about SHORES OF DUSK, please direct them to Mary Kirchoff at TSR/WotC.

All the Best,

Mark Anthony

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  05:23:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now his son is writing books with Drizzt as well! Guess we may eventually end up with other authors using him after all.....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2012 :  22:14:11  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob has said publicly that if anyone else writes Drizzt, he only wants it to be his family. By that, I'm pretty much thinking he means his son, Geno.

I may know the Drizzt stories like the back of my hand, but that doesn't mean I could write one.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  00:48:19  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I not mistaken that Bob and Geno wrote it together?
I want Drizzt to stay with Bob..like I prefer El to stay with Ed. LOL.

And Beast, thank you for knowing them like the back of your hand. You have pointed out some things I missed in my readings.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  09:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly I wonder if it wouldn't be best to hand the character and the series off to another writer. I know there's a sense of wanting to respect the creator's wishes but sometimes a new perspective, a fresh set of eyes can be just the thing to take the series in a new, exciting direction and find interesting interpretations of the material.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  22:19:49  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

I think those rumors sprung up right around the time realms of the underdark came out and Mark Anthony wrote that short story with Zaknafein and a very young Drizzt, along with a character who disappeared. Jalynfein the spider mage, an archmage Drow in menzo.

Not sure if they were true or not, but I doubt it

I have never heard the rumor that Bob wanted to kill off Drizzt outside here at the 'Keep. What I heard was that he simply wanted to be able to write other characters in addition to Drizzt, but when "The Cleric Quintet"'s sales (without Drizzt) didn't fare well compared to "Legacy of the Drow"'s (with Drizzt), TSR pressured him to keep churning out Drizzt books and short stories at the same or faster rate. He started out writing at a super-fast rate because he was an eager new writer and needed the money if he was going to transition away from his day job. But he didn't want to keep up that crazy pace, forever. TSR sure wanted him to, though. And with their financial troubles, they thought he needed to.

Throw in the desire for him to bring Wulfgar back, and he just was fed up. He tried to negotiate a better contract with them, but they wouldn't budge. Instead, they flexed their muscle and told him they would get others to write Drizzt books, since he wasn't going along with their plans. There was the Mark Anthony short story, and then a chapter in Once Around the Realms, by Brian Thomsen, and then the never-released Mark Anthony novel. Clearly, TSR wasn't bluffing.

So then Bob wrote Passage to Dawn, bringing Wulf back as requested/demanded, and restoring Bruenor's eye (and apparently Regis's missing fingers), and everybody was rewound back to their ready state in Icewind Dale, seemingly unphased by any of the last bit of trauma from "LOTD".

And then Bob stopped writing for TSR.

And TSR went away.

That Bob and Drizzt came back, with WOTC at the helm, would seem to show that he never wanted to kill Drizzt off. He just wanted to be able to write other stuff in addition to Drizzt. And he has been able to write his non-Realms Corona stuff, as well as "The Sellswords", and oversaw the "WOTSQ" project. His Realms novels generally have come out once per year since WOTC took over, instead of every 6-9 months as they were doing with TSR, for a time.

More recently, he has set Corona aside for awhile, and he is back to writing Realms fiction at a blazing pace again. No, he's not Ed-prolific. But he and WOTC are certainly releasing stuff with little downtime, nowadays. And he seems happy with this arrangement.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  22:26:07  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

Am I not mistaken that Bob and Geno wrote it together?

Yeah, they wrote the "Stone of Tymora" mini-series and the Neverwinter Tales comic mini-series together. But Bob is still writing the main Drizzt books by himself, though.

quote:
And Beast, thank you for knowing them like the back of your hand. You have pointed out some things I missed in my readings.

Happy to help out, friend!

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2012 :  22:43:32  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
<snip> But Bob is still writing the main Drizzt books by himself, though.

And this makes me very happy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000