Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Need to Know: Fiends
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  15:48:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

To me it seems wiser to cast contact other plane or something first. Call ahead, work out the deal, keep the gates between worlds closed. It's a courtesy to celestial types, it's insurance against fiendish types - the Prime is locked to them so why give them free access to it before agreeing on a price? Safer and smarter, whether you know what's out there or not.

Well, if you've got a good binding circle, you just keep them in there, where they can't get out. A lot of the fiction makes it sound like the created portal is linked to the summoned critter (so nothing else will come thru) and that it stays open until the critter is dismissed (so they can get sent home).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  07:46:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

To me it seems wiser to cast contact other plane or something first. Call ahead, work out the deal, keep the gates between worlds closed. It's a courtesy to celestial types, it's insurance against fiendish types - the Prime is locked to them so why give them free access to it before agreeing on a price? Safer and smarter, whether you know what's out there or not.

Well, if you've got a good binding circle, you just keep them in there, where they can't get out. A lot of the fiction makes it sound like the created portal is linked to the summoned critter (so nothing else will come thru) and that it stays open until the critter is dismissed (so they can get sent home).
I'm not quite sure if I'm recalling this right, as I hated that book...In Pools of Darkness, the Red Wizard (whose name escapes me) used some sort of semi-permanent door or portal he frequently used to summon his pet fiend. Instead of casting a tedious spell and sketching a binding circle on the floor every time he summoned his big, ugly "pet," he just used a trigger word as a "key."

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  07:51:04  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is a called creature when killed, permanently dead?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  14:30:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Is a called creature when killed, permanently dead?

Nope, just sent back to their home plane.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:00:53  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do they return as normal or is the fiend "demoted"?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  05:41:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Do they return as normal or is the fiend "demoted"?

I would imagine that depends on a lot of factors. I would expect, though, that most of those factors would depend on what was going on at "home". A fiend in the middle of a vicious power struggle might get summoned, pop back to the Lower Planes a few days later, and find that a rival or three has kicked him down a few notches.

I wouldn't think that events in the Prime would have a huge impact on fiendish status, unless the fiend's rivals somehow found out that the fiend had been un-summoned in some ridiculous manner, like by being "killed" by a kender with a water balloon full of holy water.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000