Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Does Fzoul Chembryl have facial tattoos?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  17:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm asking because I got my hands on the OOP Ral Partha miniature and I'm currently painting him.

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  18:18:23  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think he does, at least from the few novels in which he appears.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  20:10:12  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Only that gem in the middle of his forehead. Whatever that's supposed to be, I have no idea.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  03:23:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once painted a small "Dark Sun" tattoo on one of the few minis I ever used in a Realms campaign. It was originally an unpainted Chaos Cultist from the WARHAMMER range of miniatures, but I scalped and modelled him with a little 'green stuff' to help bring about a Fzoul-like appearance [based on his illustration in the 3e FRCS].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  07:12:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He has facial tattoos; check out the 1st. and 2nd. ed. campaign settings and the Ruins of Zenthil Keep; And if I remember he also originally had red hair, not blond as shown later.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  10:50:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

He has facial tattoos; check out the 1st. and 2nd. ed. campaign settings and the Ruins of Zenthil Keep; And if I remember he also originally had red hair, not blond as shown later.

If I'm remembering correctly, though, the APPEARANCE section of Fzoul's write-up in the 2e Villains' Lorebook doesn't make reference to those tattoos, which we can glimpse, briefly, in the portrait of Fzoul from Ruins of Zhentil Keep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  14:16:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

If I'm remembering correctly, though, the APPEARANCE section of Fzoul's write-up in the 2e Villains' Lorebook doesn't make reference to those tattoos, which we can glimpse, briefly, in the portrait of Fzoul from Ruins of Zhentil Keep.

I don't think any of the descriptions talk about the tattoos, but they are on all the early portraits. But then I don't think the tattoos where mentioned in connection with the banites at all in the grey box, so the tattoos shown on his face there could then just be the artist acting out of whimsy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  15:38:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't think any of the descriptions talk about the tattoos, but they are on all the early portraits. But then I don't think the tattoos where mentioned in connection with the banites at all in the grey box, so the tattoos shown on his face there could then just be the artist acting out of whimsy.

True. All it takes is one artist... I'm pretty sure Drizzt was never described with that funky headplate on, but how much artwork went in that direction?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  15:50:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raistlins eyes would be the best example of an idea originating with an artist and then being developed into a major element of the character.

And I still prefer the old versions of Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  15:53:04  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would he? He's a Zentirim, not a Thayan......

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  18:55:00  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Banites tattoo their faces.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2012 :  19:13:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players met Fzoul in two different situations:

Battle: Fzoul had tats on his face

Diplomacy: Fzoul did NOT have tats on his face.

I always used the tats as magical tats that Fzoul would use as body-wards and/or contingencies.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000