Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ankheg armor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  18:16:20  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know the statistics and costfor making armor out of ankheg hide?

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  18:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Ankheg Armor was strictly found in the Baldur's Gate game only. Don't recall seeing any statistics in any of the P&P reference material, though could be wrong. In Baldur's Gate, it is considered magical plate mail, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  19:52:43  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember it being used once in a game I played. I was thinking maybe it was like adamantine. Such as adding an enhancement to armor.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  06:55:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there was a Dragon issue a while back (I am thinking around 2000-2001) that covered varying hide armors. I'll have a look through some of them and see what I can find.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  14:53:54  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I think there was a Dragon issue a while back (I am thinking around 2000-2001) that covered varying hide armors. I'll have a look through some of them and see what I can find.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  12:05:22  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good question indeed.
and what about dragon hide armors?
they say in the Monster manuel that u can make different armors with dragon hide if u have enough hide... but it actually only make masterwork armor.
it doesn't seem to provide any substantial bonus anyway.
i do think its a mistake, a red great wyrm hide should give u some natural bonus somewhere... don't u think?
have u some ideas about strange armors such as ankheg or dragon or any other mythic creature?
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2003 :  15:23:46  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about this today and thought that maybe you should add the creatures natural armor bonus to the AC. I'm sure there are rules about this somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  12:35:09  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is actually the chitin armors in the Arms n Equipment guide, which is quite interesting about strange materials.
but it gives u a substantial bonus : a weight divided by two.

but still didn't find anything about dragonhide armors.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  19:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well in BG2 armor made from dragon hides gives u 50% bonus resistance against whatever attack that dragon has, red dragon - fire resis. ect but idk if this is only a BG2 thing or if its all of D&D...

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  20:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general fashioning armor out of dragon hide results in armor of superior durability and protection, as well as being exceptionally light and easy to wear. In the past fashioning armors out of dragon hide and scales resulted in increased resistance to the dragon's favored element(s), however currently no such rule exists. It is of course possible it is covered in the Draconomicon, but I do not have that particular tome yet. The source for dragonhide armor, for everyone's information, is the Dungeon Master's Guide, and it is worth noting the Guide says nothing about the bonuses using dragon scales might provide.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2003 :  21:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an interesting idea for dragon hide armor. That the armor could gain different traits depending on the type of dragon scale you used, gives protection from certain elements, adds polymorph or just certain interesting abilities.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  00:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye Trafaldi, thats what dragon scale armor does, it dones the abilities (some of them) of that dragon. usually the protection from whatever element that dragon uses, but it could be other abilities that dragon has as well

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  14:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For buggy armor, our group has always uesed this method (Its costs a bit lol) Its master work armour of course as well. Its shell is actually lighter then most metals. So;

Ankheg Armor-
Chitonus, Ac-7, Max dex 2-3 (which ever DM Deems is agreeable). Ankeg armor is also slightly flexible.

Always have a good armour make it.
Normal coast- 20,000 GP.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Belfar
Seeker

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2003 :  14:56:29  Show Profile Send Belfar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
20000 is a little steep in my opinion. I'd probably adjust the price to about 5000. I like the rule though. What armor type is it though (light, medium, or heavy)???
Go to Top of Page

nicostratus
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2003 :  04:38:34  Show Profile  Visit nicostratus's Homepage Send nicostratus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my campaign, the question has never been a hard one to answer. Armor made from the hide of any beast bestows one half of the natural armor bonus as the AC for the armor, it's max dex is never higher than 4 (unless were talking about skin armor (but im talking about scales, and plates ect.) and it is always treated as medium. Heavy armors are heavy metals, and hide armors are medium. SO, Ankheg armor in my campaign would pull the following stats:
AC: +5 (round up)
Max Dex: +3 (treat scales as hide, and plates as scale mail)
Spell Failure: 25% (scale mail)
Check Penalty: -4 (scale mail)
Cost: Variable, really just the cast of masterwork hide armor, assuming you provide the material.
Armors made from the husks of creatures are not magical. Dragon scales do not offer protection from their element, it's the dragon as a whole that offers it protection. Just cause they are red dragon scaled dosen't mean they are fire resistant, though they can me enchanted as such. For example, it's not the skin of a displacer beast that allows the displacing ability, it's the fact that the beast is magical with ties to the ethreal plane that is displaces, it's skin is nothing more than leather armor.

-Nicostratus

"I ready for goblins!"
::Dude, why'd you eat all the chips?::
::Dude, why do you suck?::
Go to Top of Page

olafs_insight
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  07:27:03  Show Profile Send olafs_insight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though the question has been answered (and quite well, too), I have a thought, and a note to dungeon masters of all game editions:
Dragons have incredibly close family systems, with varying structures among different types. Red dragons, for example, pay very close to each other and their own potential inheritances. Young dragons fight with their siblings viciously, and if there are enough dragons in a realm, even the evil dragons will cooperate with each other.
If one was to kill a dragon, drag it to a safe place, and skin it, there should be no doubt that every dragon that passes within a ten-or-so mile radius of said place will know that either kin or enemy has been ripped apart. How would you act: somebody is either hunting your family, or your kind, and they have to be stopped. Further insult by wearing the hide of a dragon should be met with disgust and disdain by dragons of all sorts, like we would react to a demon wearing human skin.

__TL:DR__

To players: Before you don an ancient red wyrm's hide, or any abnormal hide for that matter, think about his or her family tree.
To dungeon Masters: think about how well your monsters would appreciate your players' actions.

Of course I understand that many people know this, but there are plenty who would benefit from this.

“They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.” -Terry Pratchett

Edited by - olafs_insight on 02 Aug 2012 07:33:27
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  14:19:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dragonhide armor.....

it said one suite of masterwork armor right??

one master whatever you want suite of armor with whatever color of dragon scale elemental resistance...

ankheg its an overgrown insect, its chitin armor.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 02 Aug 2012 14:19:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000