Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Obarskyrs as kidnappers of nobles?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  02:05:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While reading through Backdrop: Suzail, I was surprised to read the following,
quote:
“At least one member of each noble family maintains a residence in Suzail. This custom dates back to an age-old practice by the monarchy of taking political hostages to keep the nobility in line…”

I don’t recall ever reading about the Obarskyrs taking nobles hostage. However the idea is actually kind of cool.

I took a brief look at the list of Cormyr’s rulers (as found in the Monarchies of Faerûn section of the Grand History of the Realms) to try and jog my memory, but no one ruler stands out as the kidnapping-to-keep-nobles-in-line ruler who got the whole tradition started.

Have any of you come across references in Realmslore that mention the Obarskyrs taking nobles as political hostages?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 21 Feb 2012 02:53:57

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  02:45:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not the Obarskyrs, but Volo's Guide to Cormyr makes reference to the High Hunt cult in Dhedluk.

From the source:-
quote:
King Azoun outlawed the cult early in his reign, when it became apparent that certain unscrupulous nobles were using it as an excuse for murdering rivals. The severe penalties for kidnapping and confining nobles for any reason also date from this judgment.
I'm curious about how this relates to what's been revealed about kidnapping nobles in Backdrop: Suzail.

Maybe Brian Cortijo or Ed Greenwood could elaborate on this?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  02:53:24  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good catch on the bit from Volo's Guide to Cormyr! It appears things have turned around quite a bit since the old days in Cormyr.

I'd thought about going to Ed or Brian right away regarding the quote from the Backdrop article, but wanted to make sure there wasn't some extant lore on the topic first. Want to let this scroll linger a few days before posting anything on another shelf.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  04:15:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's really kidnapping, as such. It's not even hostage-taking in the modern sense. I think it's more like "send a kid to Court, or host a garrison of Purple Dragons in your dining hall. And so long as you don't move against the Crown, your kid stays happy and healthy."

The hostage wouldn't be kept in a cell or anything; ideally, the hostage would have the run of the city and his family wealth to play with. He'd just always have a Crown keeper with an eye on him, making sure he stays in town and doesn't plot anything too dire.

And having the noble spend much time in court could give the noble a more favorable view of the Crown, leading to more loyal subjects and less need to do things like that in the future. As long as the noble is treated well and with respect, things could work out for everyone...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  04:40:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expanding on your idea, Wooly, I imagine the Obarskyrs could "kidnap" pretty much anyone of importance to a noble family, at any time. Seems like a great way to force one or more rowdy young nobles to cool their jets for a season (or longer). As well that loyal courtiers can work on changing the views and attitudes of rebellious lordlings while they're being held, before they're released back to their families in wider Cormyr.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:25:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a reference to our own RW custom of nobles 'fostering' their sons with other nobles and even royalty.

Although it was considered an honor for your liege-lord to foster your child, the reality was that it insured loyalty (you didn't want to loose your heirs by being traitorous). They were basically hostages.

Its nothing strange or nefarious - Ed just has a good working knowledge of medieval politics.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2012 05:26:20
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, this practice is mentioned in Ed's "The Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 2" (DRAGON #279) during the reign of King Duar. Elvrin Crownsilver was the example of one such noble hostage, during an era when all noble families were required to send both their heirs and one other son to be fostered as a ward of the Crown at Court.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  16:23:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Brian.

Now to go digging in the garage through my collection of Dragon Magazines...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  00:02:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Actually, this practice is mentioned in Ed's "The Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 2" (DRAGON #279) during the reign of King Duar. Elvrin Crownsilver was the example of one such noble hostage, during an era when all noble families were required to send both their heirs and one other son to be fostered as a ward of the Crown at Court.

So many potential ways for Azoun and other Kings of Cormyr to add to the Lineage...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  07:47:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

So many potential ways for Azoun and other Kings of Cormyr to add to the Lineage...

Speaking of which... any news on that document's publication yet?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Feb 2012 07:50:15
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  04:12:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally found the issue in my garage.

I'd completely forgotten that these Further Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr existed. I'll be adding this issue to the short stack of books on Cormyr sitting next to my writing desk.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000