Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Banak Brawnanvil (11th king of Mithral Hall)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thomaslove92
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  13:09:28  Show Profile Send thomaslove92 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks, been using this forum for ages, but i finally got an account.

WARNING: There may be spoliers...but i'm not sure what is considered spoilers. :/

I'm doing a lot of editing on the Forgotten Realms Wiki and i need a little help....

I'm trying to found out about Banak Brawnanvil, the wiki page is pretty basic, and does not cite it's sources.

I know he was the 11th King of Mithral Hall, and he is related to the Battlehammer clan.

Does anyone know how he is related? or what books will have more information.

Ive read Gauntlgrym, but it doesn't talk about his past.

Thanks folks...

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  13:38:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome!

Either PM or wait for Scribe BEAST to pop in. He is the resident Drizzt loremaster.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  00:47:52  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the long delay, but I've been busy with work and unable to check in to my Keep account till now.

I read thomas's PM's to me, but my PM Inbox isn't letting me reply to anyone right now. So I tracked down the public scroll on this topic, and here goes nothing.

In The Lone Drow, P1:C7, Wulfgar says that the Brawnanvils are the closest cousins to the Battlehammers, which is why Banak eventually served as steward in Bruenor's stead in The Orc King and later assumed the throne in Gauntlgrym.

But that doesn't tell us much. Just because the Brawnanvils were the closest surviving kin to the Battlehammers doesn't necessarily mean that they were very close at all. There could've been several degrees of separation between the family lines, for all we know.

And here's how I determined the date for Shimmergloom's conquest of Mithral Hall.

The sourcebook The Savage Frontier was set in the year 1358 DR, and there it says that Shimmergloom took over the Hall 175 years ago. 1358 DR - 175 yr = 1183 DR.

In the novel The Halfling's Gem, which is primarily set in 1356 DR, we're told that Bruenor had been alive for nearly 2 centuries, which means that he had been born after 1156 DR.

The novel The Legacy, also set in 1358 DR, says that Bruenor had been mining for more than 2 centuries. This probably is a poetic way of saying that he had been alive for 2 centuries plus. That means that he was born before 1158 DR.

Taken together, this probably means that Bruenor was born in 1157 DR.

The short story "The First Notch" features a young Bruenor, who is said to be in his late twenties of age at the time. If he were born in 1157 DR, then he would've been 26 years old when the Hall fell in 1183 DR. This would mean that the short story would've had to have been set in the year 1182 to 1183 DR.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 21 Feb 2012 16:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2012 :  06:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BEAST you are a true scholar.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 27 Feb 2012 06:53:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000