Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 time portals in faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  06:52:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
like andrio's gate.

where are they and what are their names??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  07:05:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, I recall the isle of Lurath in the Sea of Fallen Stars, which is populated by dinosaurs, has sea caves in the cliffs of the isle that have "time-portals" which connect to the past of Toril.

And there is also the "Portals in Time" lot of articles from Wizards' Perilous Gateways series:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030402x

Both the Netheril and Cormanthyr sources also list a few as well, as does the 2e Chronomancer supplement.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  07:06:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I remember mention of one buried under the High Ice in the northern Anauroch desert. If you have the Arcane Age Netheril boxed set check the time traveling section in there. I don't have my copy handy or I'd check for ya.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  15:29:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple that look like phonebooths.. oh wait... wrong setting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  16:45:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There are a couple that look like phonebooths.. oh wait... wrong setting.

I don't think it is the wrong setting. We just see the various selections of settings on the doctor who episodes.

I am CERTAIN that Elminster has met the Doctor before. I bet they even had tea in SHadowdale.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  23:17:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Netheril: Empire of Magic (p 14)

"There are time gates on Faerûn, but their locations remain a mystery. Ancient texts of Mystryl’s faith talk of three gates that were created either through accident or great fortune."

It's also noted that "adventurers have looked so hard, for so long, and with nothing to show for it, that no one even tries anymore. The last recorded expedition is believed to have been in 404 DR."

One is in a deep cave in the Spine of the World. It's noted to be the lair of an ancient female white dragon, who may let adventurers use the portal in exchange for some suitable payment.

Another once crowned a mountain in Novularond, but was consumed by the glacier as it sheered off the peak. The gate survives but is encased in ice, hundreds of feet down, and it's location is completely unknown.

The third is easier to reach... if it's still there. It stands inside Andrus' Peak, near Cedarsproke in the Gulthmere, also known as the Garden of Eldath. The gate survived several eruptions, "shielded from the intense heat by Mystryl’s magic." Given the fate of Mystryl in the fall of Netheril, and Mystra in the Time of Troubles, it's anyone's guess as to whether or not the gate survives.

A fourth gate is described in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves (p 6). This one stands is Synnoria, an elven realm of the Moonshaes. The elves know where it is and what it does, but they guard it against abusive use by others. This source also has basically the same info on the three gates mentioned in the Netheril box.

The Sage's reference to Lurath is found in Pirates of the Fallen Stars. "The valley is not merely out of its own time; travel through the labrynthine caves which riddle the cliffs transports the traveler back in time to the days before men."

Not sure about the one under the High Ice.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  00:06:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's one along the border of Rashemen, near the Shield of Weeping Ghosts. That portal, if I remember it right, was created by the Shaar.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000