Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 incorporeal undead on the Ethereal Plane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  01:43:30  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I understand it, incorporeal undead on the Ethereal Plane are tangible. Does the incorporeal undead also lose some or all it's special attacks when battling being on the ethereal plane?

Also can we consider incorporeal undead to be "intelligent" when so many
of them seemed to be scatter brained and unable to think with full independence. The only ghost I can think of that seemed mentally intact
was Sylune of the seven sisters.

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  01:57:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mirror is an intelligent incorporeal undead. Though it took him years to regain his memories, identity, and intelligence. Thanks to Bareris.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  22:17:08  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most Ghosts are intelligent, but must act within certain parameters (the details of where and what and how they haunt). They can possibly be freed from those parameters without "passing on" and are free to think whatever they want even if not. This is my interpretation, anyway. Yours may be different.

I would assume that incoporeal undead indeed are corporeal on the Ethereal, and that this does effect their abilities.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  22:53:22  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A ghost that acts on the Ethereal Plane essentially has his body back, albeit the one he remembers having when he died. Most incorporate their most important gear on their spectral forms (2d4 of their clothing/armor, spectral forms of their main weapon and basic tools like magic foci).
Mechanically, on the Ethereal Plane a ghost regains the strength score he or she lacks when on the Material Plane. They also use their normal AC, can use any feats they had that rely on tactile contact such as cleave or improved grab.

They lose the abilities that require the ghost to touch a corporeal creature, all others gained attacks can (and do) effect creatures on both the Material and the Ethereal Planes. So the Draining Touch attack of a ghost only effects corporeal creatures on the Material Plane, but the Frightful Moan supernatural attack effects both Planes.

Edit: added some pointers about mechanics

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 13 Feb 2012 23:07:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page