Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Biggest Masterminds and Manipulators in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  20:39:47  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've always been intrigued with those that have been pulling strings from behind the scenes to manipulate events on a grand scale. Who do you guys think are some of the biggest Masterminds and Manipulators in the Realms?

My thoughts....

Biggest Mortal Manipulators and Masterminds:
Manshoon - persistence personified
Elminister- master of benevolent manipulation?

Biggest outsider/divine Manipulators and Masterminds:
Cyric ..pulled of the improbable
Asmodeus- most calculated and conniving being in the realms?
Vecna...Always has a one up on just about anyone?

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  23:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much all of the baatezu are from the lowliest imp on up. But of all of the fiends, I think Soneilon(sp?) and Malkizid were two who really pulled some strings.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2011 :  23:41:45  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr, you don't know how much respect you just gained in my eyes for mentioning Malkzid. I would actually place him above Sonneillon, but for reasons that are currently under NDA (muhahahahahahaha)

*cough*
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  01:15:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to nominate good ol' Tyranthraxus. Quite a busy fellow, although I suppose military conquest is more his style than subversive persuasions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  01:32:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben.

'Nuff said!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  02:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Khelben.

'Nuff said!

Indeed.

Unless you're going by girth/waist/general volume of bodily space, where the scales tip toward Mirt being by far the biggest manipulator outside of genus draco....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  03:37:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pulling strings from behind the scenes to manipulate events on a grand scale has always been the hallmark of Mask, of course. He's quite a sneaky bastard, actually.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  03:38:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No love for Larloch or the Terraseer?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  04:00:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although they possess power and are doubtlessly capable of manipulating it, I don't see either one actually doing anything manipulative on a grand scale. They continue to survive, and continue to do what they do, but they largely don't do it through any manipulation of grand events, not in any obvious way. Largely because so little is written of them in the fiction.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  04:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in his day the Terraseer played Netheril like a well-tuned harp. He might not be doing much right now, but for that alone I think he deserves at least a special mention.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  04:25:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

No love for Larloch or the Terraseer?

Larloch. Nearly nothing is revealed about his schemes, but Ed himself hinted that there are a lot; that powerful beings even unwittingly become his pawns/puppets.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  04:34:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larloch is a clear contender, for sure.

Ed's answers imply that Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.

One of his current [pre Spellplague, I'd presume] 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerūn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly. In the sense that he'll be doing a couple of things:-

1. Monitoring people movement; who goes where and more importantly, why;

2. Putting in place magics to control creatures or people using 'his' portals, or at the very least access their knowledge/memories;

3. Using his knowledge of portals and portal networks to bring groups or individuals into conflict and thereby benefiting from the fallout.

All of this is intended to be done without the hand of Larloch being apparent. But does, also, place Larloch in a position where he could, potentially, affect just about everyone and everything.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Nov 2011 04:36:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  04:39:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Which brings up a question: Is his vast knowledge about portals purely the result of his centuries of magical research and experimentation? Or did he somehow find an Imaskari tome/tablet that held secrets about the nature and power of portals?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  04:42:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then again, Larloch might have nothing going on at all beyond a single scheme to misinform the Chosen (including Elminster, who in turn misinforms Ed) into believing that he's an incomprehensibly sophisticated mastermind, just so they leave him alone or waste their energies vigilantly searching for something which isn't there.

At least Mask, for the most part it seems, is well aware of all the layers and layers of contingency plots he's set into motion, and even when he isn't really sure what's happening (because, say, a lot of developments hinge around the somewhat unpredictable behaviour of his Chosen), he's still designed things so well that they somehow still manage to more or less accomplish his original objectives anyhow.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 25 Nov 2011 04:43:31
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  11:38:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sammaster and Szass Tam deserve a special mention, too. Convincing an intelligent race [dragons] who think of humans (living and undead alike) as their inferiors is no easy task, let alone pulling the strings of some puppets to "re-activate" The Rage. And as for Szass Tam...it definitely required a great deal of skill and power to subtly manipulate his fellow zulkirs, who were true masters of their own school of specialization.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  15:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Seethyr, you don't know how much respect you just gained in my eyes for mentioning Malkzid. I would actually place him above Sonneillon, but for reasons that are currently under NDA (muhahahahahahaha)

*cough*

Lol thank you, and your...ehhhh hint has got me kind of excited. As evil as he was, I was kind of upset to see Malkizid disappear. In a way, he manipulated an entire race.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  15:38:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once speculated that Larloch may be containing something, and Ed indirectly confirmed that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2011 :  16:22:46  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster, Khelben
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2011 :  09:49:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't know, but Khelben struck me as a little bit uncaring and just waiting for his goddess's instructions.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2011 :  12:00:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I don't know, but Khelben struck me as a little bit uncaring and just waiting for his goddess's instructions.

I'd argue that Khelben's long-reaching manipulations are in fact because he cares greatly for what occurs in the Realms.

The perception that he is "uncaring," I think, seems to come from the fact that the Blackstaff is often thinking six or seven moves ahead of everyone else. He simply doesn't have the time to appreciate the here and now -- for the most part -- when he's too preoccupied with controlling what's to come.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Nov 2011 12:03:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2011 :  15:41:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
. . . and Ed says. "Bingo! Dead-on correct!" to that, Sage.
In the past, I've heard Ed decribe Khelben as the "James T. Kirk of the Realms." One may not always agree with his manner or even his courses of action, but he cares deeply. His caring drives and motivates him.
As it does for Elminster. The two Chosen just have very different styles.
As can be seen in the scene Ed snuck into the Knights trilogy, where El and Khelben argue about how they should proceed, until a certain Sister (of the Seven) sets them straight.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2011 :  01:15:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would that be a masterfully manipulative hooded sister, perchance?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Nov 2011 01:19:23
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  10:00:41  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the local tavern owner.

Lots of stuff start in the Taverns and Bars of the Realms.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  10:09:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nah. They're merely contacts. In other words, pawns.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  15:14:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

How about the local tavern owner.

Lots of stuff start in the Taverns and Bars of the Realms.

and in Skyrim

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  16:44:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  17:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like manipulator villains, as evidenced by my work. If you know who I'm talking about, trust me, you'll see more of him.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed's answers imply that Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.
One of his current [pre Spellplague, I'd presume] 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerūn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly.
Pre- and Post-Spellplague, actually.

It's not canon, so I won't go into too much detail, but this is a subplot in the 4e FR campaign I'm running now. Wherein the PCs get to see the endgame of Larloch's long-running schemes, which they might thwart--or might allow or even help, depending on how one looks at it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  23:25:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
El, definitely. He's been manipulating the people of Cormyr for centuries, after all- particularly the crowned heads....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  01:03:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

It's not canon, so I won't go into too much detail, but this is a subplot in the 4e FR campaign I'm running now. Wherein the PCs get to see the endgame of Larloch's long-running schemes, which they might thwart--or might allow or even help, depending on how one looks at it.
Actually, Erik, if you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about this campaign, when you have the time. Either as a PM or email, if you're concerned about some of your players maybe reading particulars about the subplot here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  07:46:16  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

El, definitely. He's been manipulating the people of Cormyr for centuries, after all- particularly the crowned heads....

I guess it depends on whether you want to grant more credit to El, who perhaps did more discernible manipulation over a shorter time, or to guys like Larloch, Halaster, the Terraseer et al. whose methods are more subtle and far-reaching (and therefore of less visible impact to the Realms themselves) and yet have been orchestrated since long before El was the last prince of Athalantar, let alone the Sage of Shadowdale.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  14:27:31  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere a bit further down the list, Jarlaxle. He manipulates all kinds of things. That trick he pulled with King Gareth Dragonsbane of Damara? Spectacular. He basically skips in, schemes his way through a place, then prances out again, laughing all the way at the chaos and confusion he leaves behind.
I don't think doing it for the lulz makes him any less manipulative.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000