Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cuulmath, Werapan, and Quelauuvis
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  04:39:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Where can I find more information about these Netherese subsea colonies? What exactly were they like prior to their destruction by the High Mages of Aryselmalyr?

Every beginning has an end.

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  05:46:16  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe there's a little in Sea of Fallen Stars , but you may have looked there already.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  06:03:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Stars and A Grand History of the Realms, mostly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  06:07:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes. What's in there is quite scant, actually.

I'm interested [among other things] in the identities of the Netherese mages who founded those colonies, and why, of all places, they chose to establish such cities in an area where the races who resisted them were magically adept. Oh, well, perhaps their arrogance clouded their common sense.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  13:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since they already had a sizable inland sea within their own borders to experiment in, I think arrogance likely played a large role.

This is all conjecture, but my guess would be that the first enclave was set up specifically by someone curious about Serosian magics, and looking to grab as much of it as he or she could. Remember, this is the same group of people who included roving, vivisecting spelljammers. And the fractured nature of the Netherese "nation" means, as Ed's pointed out, all you really need is one archwizard with an obsession.

So the first one was set up by a lone maverick and followers, and probably had at least some minor success at the beginning. Which led two other archwizards to come along and see what was they could grab. Once the locals proved they weren't pushovers by incinerating everyone, the other Netherese gave it up as too dangerous and not worth the risk.

That's conjecture, but based on what we know of Netheril, I could easily see it being one of/the reason.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  14:15:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not unlikely. Though I'm inclined to think there must be something about the land that attracted their ever active curiosity. 'Twas near Aryselmalyr. As often the case, any place that is near elven land is magically rich, or special in some ways.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000