Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good Deals....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  19:41:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I report this information with both delight and sadness:

As many of you probably know, Borders is in bankruptcy, and I went to one yesterday and got Elminster Must Die and Return of the Archwizards trilogy (in one book) for 80% off! That was four FR novels - BRAND NEW - for under $10.

On the bright side, I was able to buy new FR material without violating my own self-imposed rule of NOT replacing any of the stuff I lost; I owned none of those (and had reconsidered reading RotA only recently).

On the down side, I am upset to see yet another death-knell for printed books.

As an interesting side-note, the ONLY RPG material still available at that discount (the sale has already been going on a few days) was 4th edition D&D stuff. I can't say there was much, but enough to make note of (I was hoping to pick up some of the Paizo stuff I saw there some time ago, which is why I checked that area). I was almost tempted to pick-up Heroes of the Fallen Lands, just because it was so cheap....... ALMOST.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  19:43:28  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always sad to see such things happens, a library in here went through the same short ago and I know how you feel. The excitement for getting so many low prize good original books, was shadowed for the fact I wouldn't be able to go there to get some more any more.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  20:13:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Borders had it coming by refusing to take a more active part in the online book selling game. No big surprises at the outcome

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  20:18:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On the down side, I am upset to see yet another death-knell for printed books.

From what I've read, ebooks are only a small part of what killed Borders. They made a lot of bad decisions, such as using Amazon as their online bookstore* and building lots of new large stores when existing large stores were bleeding money. They also went thru a lot of CEOs in a short amount of time.

*Borders did eventually do their own online presence, but not until Amazon was already firmly entrenched as the online bookseller.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  21:05:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have nothing pleasant to say about Amazon.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  04:59:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing like walking into a bookstore or library and holding some cherished novel in your own hands, feeling the covers and turning the pages...

I think I was more upset when my own collection was lost that it wasn't just gone from me, but rather, gone forever. I would have actually preferred if it was all stolen, so there was some chance that someone, somewhere would get the same joy out of all that neat stuff that I did.

The end of Borders rubs salt in a wound not yet healed.

My 20-year-old was with me when I made my purchases (in fact, I had gone there FOR him), and he said "Isn't it sad that my children won't even know what books were?"

Out of the mouths of babes....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Sep 2011 21:21:45
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  12:45:46  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Borders here, but once I got from another group about 100 books for 200 dollars. They were too ''grown up'' and quit playing haha

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  14:28:27  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I got a lot of books for free from a colleague of mine saying the very same thing!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  14:33:53  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Isn't it sad that my children won't even know what books were?"

Man, words don't really express how much I hate that sentiment, however true it will eventually be.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  15:35:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

Man, words don't really express how much I hate that sentiment, however true it will eventually be.

My grandkids will know what books are, but that's likely because I'll be holding on to mine as long as I can!

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  15:48:52  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

My grandkids will know what books are, but that's likely because I'll be holding on to mine as long as I can!

My thoughts exactly, I plan to force them to make an Inmersion into the Realms, if I do it right they'll end up teaching me.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  21:32:32  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

My thoughts exactly, I plan to force them to make an Inmersion into the Realms, if I do it right they'll end up teaching me.

Amen. Our house is quite literally stuffed with books, and my game books take up literally four full bookcases, plus 16 large boxes of the game books I have no more shelf space for (because those other shelves are full of...other kinds of books).

My son is 19, in college, and since he isn't a Candlekeep scribe, I can say that he's a better DM than I am (if listening to his friends rave about his games is any indicator). I know that he'll keep passing down the love of the printed page through the generations - I just have to keep collecting more books for him to pass down.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  05:02:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All of us in the family are book-lovers. We each have our own personalized library, and one which we call our "main library," which holds most of our favorite books in various genres. It runs in the blood, I guess.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  06:22:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no.. there will always be books.

things in life, never ends; they only transform.

In Star Trek the next generation, Captian Picard was seen with an actual book. at least one or two episodes.

and he was also seen reading a novel off the sub space library( aka a supped up form of the interent).

Ebooks is not the future, nor is it the present or past.

it is nothing more than an alternative.

Borderes did itself in.... and Amazon is a monopoly

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  06:49:24  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the electronic paper starts to feel less synthetic then the books will be replaced.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  06:57:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picard once also mentioned Fermat's Last Theorem as being unsolved. The theorem was indeed solved with a formal proof in following years, showing that yesterday's view of tomorrow is not always accurate ... how much worse for today's view of the day following that?

Agreed, eBooks are an alternative, one that won't ever go away, everybody better get used to it.

The question is how long will tree-Books stay around? We have loved books for many centuries ... but few other analog recording methods have survived the evolution of digital supremacy. I have the sneaky suspicion that we'll stop seeing fiction on paper within a few decades, the only physical books remaining in print will be university texts, collector's editions, and endless manuals about governmental bureaucracy. They don't even print physical phone books for my city anymore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  07:37:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't think physical books will ever be obsolete. [I spoke with Zalathorn before the Spellplague. He saw much into the future, and this was one of them: Many people would still read physical books, despite the ubiquity of their electronic counterparts.]

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  11:43:49  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if they discover technology to pour information into your head, would you still read?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  14:55:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

They don't even print physical phone books for my city anymore.

Gods, I wish that was the case down here... We get 2 or 3 phone books a year from competing directories.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2011 :  15:04:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

What if they discover technology to pour information into your head, would you still read?

That's a very long shot...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  20:44:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps not: You never know what sort of breakthroughs will be made. While our cellphones now far out-strip the performance of ST:tos tricorders, we have yet to make the move into space predicted by the show (and movies).

Quite simply, KHAN!!!! never happened.

Our comp-tech makes amazing strides while our transportation is moving backwards (note the discontinuation of service on the SST transports - the faster-then-sound commercial planes). There is no way to foretell what tomorrow will bring.

And to try and steer there this slightly back on-topic, all of this has lead me down an interesting train-of-thought: If society/civilization collapses in, say, 20-50 years, what will survive?

We have 'printed books' from as far back the early Chinese Empires and ancient Sumeria, but if we do not make physical records of our current civilization how will others know we existed? Wood and metal buildings will be gone in a few hundred years - we do not build out of stone much anymore.

Which of course brings me full-circle to the idea that civilizations far more advanced then us could have existed in the distant past, and we would have very little record of them... if they were a lot like us. 10,000 years from now future-folk may be looking at things like Mt.Rushmore and the Washington Monument and trying to figure-out what type of people built them.

Will we have left enough of a physical legacy for others to know we were ever here?

The reliance on computers and electronic media scares the bejesus out of me - all it would take is one good solar flare to nuke us into the stone age. Hold onto your books, folks -they may become the most valuable commodity in existence.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2011 20:45:59
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  06:17:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, we're still okay with stone age, we remember how to use the tools we programmed. It's our kids and their kids who would be victims in a technological holocaust. Too much information without context; people are programmed to watch television or reach for their cellphones whenever they're bored; facebook has replaced faces and books. I don't think current trends are sustainable, consumers are getting happier and dumber and more numerous each decade, something's gotta break.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Sep 2011 06:21:34
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  11:53:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps not: You never know what sort of breakthroughs will be made.

I may not know everything, but I'm certain that's not going happen.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  16:43:26  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brain implants that can store and enhance memory have been predicted a lot of times by the futurists and sci-fi. The chances are greater than a ship reaching the closest star.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2011 :  18:02:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was a small child, reaching the moon was a dream. Hand-held computers were a thing of the FAR future and stuff of science fiction, the 'theoretical atom' could not be seen by any microscope, and growing new organs from 'stem cells' was completely unheard of.

Did you know the guy who created modern cellphone technology was determined to duplicate the communicators from Star Trek? His friends thought he was nuts.

Today, modern cellphones blow-away OS Star Trek communicators in functionality.

Johnny Mnemonic may have been a craptastic movie, but the premise is valid (minus the dolphin).

Just because we haven't figured how to do it yet doesn't make it impossible.

I sometimes wonder.... is EVERYTHING always possible, or does the universe adjust itself to OUR dreams?

Alas, I wax philosophical
Just get to Borders and buy yourself some books, while you still can.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Sep 2011 18:04:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000