Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Neverwinter excerpts: Lord Neverember
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  05:54:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Lord Neverember

quote:

I am more than pleased to offer my services and gold to rebuilding this fine center of culture and trade. Through our combined efforts, Neverwinter will be reborn as a bastion of good in the Sword Coast North! —Dagult Neverember

quote:

New Neverwinter
The New Neverwinter movement is gaining a foothold as Lord Dagult Neverember’s hired hands and goons patrol the streets and rebuild the city. Neverember ostensibly takes his role as protector seriously, sending his mercenaries to oust the orcs in the River District, repel plaguechanged monstrosities at the Wall, and otherwise keep the peace. The lord endeavors to lure home and win over Neverwinter’s refugee population. He is focusing on rebuilding the city, maintaining order and trade, and putting silver (if not gold) into residents’ hands.

The New Neverwinter concept is a propaganda tool the Lord Protector is using to stir up nationalistic emotions in the populace. This tactic, combined with the physical improvements to the city, has drawn most residents over to Neverember’s camp. However, some factions within the city consider the idea of a “New Neverwinter” an insult to the city’s sovereignty. The foremost oppositional faction is the Sons of Alagondar (page 117), a group that actively opposes Neverember and his plans. Its followers are busy plotting, setting traps, and enlisting whatever aid they can find.

Lord Dagult Neverember
The Open Lord of Waterdeep is a commanding noble. Big, boisterous, and affable, Neverember treats each new acquaintance as a friend. Beneath his congenial display, his quick mind is sizing up everyone in attendance, tallying potential gains or threats each could offer him. Despite feigning disinterest in scandals and hints of corruption, he mentally files away each rumor. He offers genuine respect to strong, intelligent male acquaintances and flirts outrageously with beautiful female guests.

A shrewd negotiator, Neverember prefers straight dealing. He is well known as an economic puppet master, facilitating trade deals that shock even those involved.

The open lord of Waterdeep is not a conventional villain. He is a ruthless opportunist and imperialist, arrogant and greedy, but he is not evil. In the right circumstances, he could prove an ally to the heroes.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 02 Aug 2011 00:32:46

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  15:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Neverember's role in the NCG is as a "grey area" NPC. He could be a villain to thwart, an ally from whom to draw aid, or a hero for the PCs to support, all with PCs of any alignment or outlook. I think one FR city-state (Waterdeep) moving in on another (the ailing Neverwinter) is a pretty cool situation, and one that gives lots of room for all kinds of intrigue and adventure.

It should also be noted that while I designed Lord Neverember's role, actions, etc., in Neverwinter, I did not design the open lord myself. Dagult Neverember is Ed's doing, and I think he turned out very true to Ed's guide/notes.

There's also a special easter egg about Dagult for a hardcore FR canon wonk to find/speculate about. I'll leave it a mystery, however!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  00:32:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link is working now.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  05:41:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm intrigued by the possibilities of what the Sons of Alagondar will bring to Neverwinter-based campaigns.

Looking forward to this!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Trixie
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  17:01:37  Show Profile Send Trixie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter seems like it's actually going to be worth playing.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  19:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Trixie: Heh, thanks for that grudgingly positive assessment.

Also, welcome to the boards!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  21:12:23  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Neverwinter book is great. I'm very pleased to see how it all turned out.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2011 :  21:22:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
There's also a special easter egg about Dagult for a hardcore FR canon wonk to find/speculate about. I'll leave it a mystery, however!

The dragon Galadaeros known as "The Sunset Flame" or "The Flame Dragon" is not actually a red dragon but a copper dragon (as dubbed by the poet Launchalo Rivryn) so is Neverember actually 'Never Ember' i.e. not a fire or flame (not a red dragon?)

First thing that sprang to my mind (not that I know the slightest thing about the NCG and the situation in Waterdeep/Neverwinter after the spellplague!)

Cheers

Damian
ps more on Galadaeros in Dragon Magazine 239 'Wyrms of the North' plus have a search on the WoTC site for the 3.5 updates on Ed's articles.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000