Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Weird Reading Habits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  08:25:43  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't like reading while lying down. I observe my speed is slower when I do so. That's why I sit. I know that's not weird...What's weird is I put my teddy bear (a really big one) on my lap.

A friend of mine keeps jugs nearby and drinks water every after 30 minutes.

My cousin combs her bangs while reading, then twists it using her index finger.

How about you? Do you have any weird reading habits?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 07 Feb 2011 09:49:40

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  12:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally read my books in the library and read out loud...VERY LOUD...while doing so...

Seriously though, I find coffee does me good sometimes or the caffeine withdrawal symptoms kick in while I read.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:36:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to, whenever possible, eat while reading. I also save reading books for general reading, pdfs for between calls at work, and game books are generally read whilst in my "reading room".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  18:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I have any particularly weird reading habits (unless you count esoteric subject matter), but this morning at breakfast my wife was talking about a column she's doing for somebody on the subject of rereading, and how she, herself, is not a rereader. That, to me, is weird.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  19:08:19  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often read several books at once. Not all in the same sitting, but I'll start one, get into it a bit, and then perhaps start another the next time I sit down to read, so that Iusually got at least two or three books all at different stages of completion at once- that way if I get temporarily bored with one, I can take a break from it and read a bit of the next one until I'm ready to go back to the first. I also like to eat while I read. Don't know if any of that is weird.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  19:42:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to have my feet propped up while reading, none of this "flat on the floor" nonsense. Of course, that applies to the computer too, so I usually have my feet up on the desk (or, up on a bar across the back legs or something). If I'm forced to put my feet flat, I find my posture suffers greatly since I then lean too far forward and hunch my shoulders.

I also find it hard to eat while reading (the library aide in me can't stand possibly harming the book). I can also start and interrupt current books with other books, but I usually try to keep it at a three-book maximum, else I might forget to go back. As for re-reading, that's a VERY exclusive club, since I can usually recall the entire story in my head (not photographic, but I can recap). LotR is the top of that list.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  20:18:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I have to have my feet propped up while reading, none of this "flat on the floor" nonsense. Of course, that applies to the computer too, so I usually have my feet up on the desk (or, up on a bar across the back legs or something). If I'm forced to put my feet flat, I find my posture suffers greatly since I then lean too far forward and hunch my shoulders.

I also find it hard to eat while reading (the library aide in me can't stand possibly harming the book). I can also start and interrupt current books with other books, but I usually try to keep it at a three-book maximum, else I might forget to go back. As for re-reading, that's a VERY exclusive club, since I can usually recall the entire story in my head (not photographic, but I can recap). LotR is the top of that list.

I generally read while seated in a chair, or occasionally on the floor -- but not lying down.

As for eating, I've become adept at holding (without damaging it!) a paperback in one hand and my fork in the other. With a hardback, I simply set it down where I can see it.

I do re-read books quite often; I read rather quickly, so I frequently need something else to read. I do recall most of the stories I read, but I also enjoying revisiting the tales -- it's like watching a favored movie again, or bumping into an old friend you've not seen in a while.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  22:40:25  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read anywhere and everywhere. Seated, lying down, standing up. It doesn't really matter. I keep books everywhere, so I'm constantly reading more than one at a time. I have an excellent memory, or did before having children, so I don't reread all that often. I will reread a book if it deserves another read, like Paul Kemp's works (or Brent Weeks which is not FR or even D&D but still amazing). Sometimes I find a book so engrossing that I just can't put it down. I read straight through. Those books get a reread just in case I missed something as I devoured it the first time.

Something a touch weird is that I can't bring myself to throw books away. No matter what kind of "crap" the book is, I just know there is someone out there who might want it. I donate quite a bit.

There are artists who make very spectacular art out of old books, and while I appreciate the art for what it is, I cringe to see the book no longer readable...

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  22:42:14  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I don't know if this is weird or not, but I don't like electronic books. I hate reading anything longer than a page on the computer or other electronic devices. Give me paper... I even print things people send me - pdf's of resources and the like.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:24:28  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm…don’t know that I have any weird reading habits. I do like to eat while reading (if the snack food industry would only figure this out, they could at least promote reading along with the crap they call “food”).

Lately I’ve taken to reading short stories and poems to my girlfriend before bedtime. Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman FTW!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:36:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like to, whenever possible, eat while reading. I also save reading books for general reading, pdfs for between calls at work, and game books are generally read whilst in my "reading room".

This remains pretty much the same for me also. In fact, I've often been jokingly referred to as Loial, from the Wheel of Time books. Always having a book on hand, and ready to start reading it whenever and wherever possible.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:39:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I often read several books at once. Not all in the same sitting, but I'll start one, get into it a bit, and then perhaps start another the next time I sit down to read, so that Iusually got at least two or three books all at different stages of completion at once- that way if I get temporarily bored with one, I can take a break from it and read a bit of the next one until I'm ready to go back to the first. I also like to eat while I read. Don't know if any of that is weird.

Not really. As I've said several times here at Candlekeep recently, I'm reading about twenty books at the moment. I've got two or three in just about every room of the house, at work, in SageCar, near the front door ready for the train, near my bed, and just about everywhere else you can think of.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  00:42:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I generally read while seated in a chair, or occasionally on the floor -- but not lying down.

As for eating, I've become adept at holding (without damaging it!) a paperback in one hand and my fork in the other. With a hardback, I simply set it down where I can see it.
I can read while sitting, lying down, standing up, exercising, walking, jumping, running, eating... Heh. It would probably be easier for me to name the positions were I'm not reading. Which aren't that many.
quote:
I do re-read books quite often; I read rather quickly, so I frequently need something else to read. I do recall most of the stories I read, but I also enjoying revisiting the tales -- it's like watching a favored movie again, or bumping into an old friend you've not seen in a while.
My re-reading trends depend on personal preference, what I'm working on/writing about at that moment, and time between readings of a particular book.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:09:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I often read several books at once. Not all in the same sitting, but I'll start one, get into it a bit, and then perhaps start another the next time I sit down to read, so that Iusually got at least two or three books all at different stages of completion at once- that way if I get temporarily bored with one, I can take a break from it and read a bit of the next one until I'm ready to go back to the first.

I thought that is normal. I always do that.

I don't like to eat while reading, though; I can't concentrate.

I read somewhere about lighting a candle while reading. I do so, but only when what I'm reading is "sexually provocative."

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to read while curled up in a chair and I have to have music or some kind of noise on. It doesn't matter if it's the TV or radio or other people talking.

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:13:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I have to have my feet propped up while reading, none of this "flat on the floor" nonsense.

Same here; usually on half a dozen pillows.

Rereading is fun. But I do it only two years or more after the first reading, or when I'm asked to write a review or a literary analysis.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:15:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Oh, I don't know if this is weird or not, but I don't like electronic books. I hate reading anything longer than a page on the computer or other electronic devices. Give me paper... I even print things people send me - pdf's of resources and the like.

Yeah, that's weird for this "era."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:18:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I tend to read while curled up in a chair and I have to have music or some kind of noise on. It doesn't matter if it's the TV or radio or other people talking.

Pretty much the exact opposite for me. I want "complete" silence when I'm reading. That's why my library is sound-proof.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually read while sitting down. In a chair or in a car. If I am going to try to read while laying down I have to be on my side and about halfway sitting up. I haven't really ever tried to read (printed material) while eating. I am in the camp that wants printed books instead of e format. Some things are okay on a computer screen, just not an entire book.

I've only reread one book. It was a Star Wars book (The Last Command). Someone bought it for me during it's original hardback print run and I read it without immediately noticing that it was the third part of a triogy of which I had not read the first 2 parts. So, 2 years ago when I got the first and second books I reread the third after reading the first 2. I'm not opposed to rereading, it's just that I have about 40 FR books sitting here that I haven't read yet and a number of books that I buy as they are released. So I need to get through my "first time read" books before I start rereading. I also try to read a book all the way through before I jump to another book. I only have 3 or 4 books that I have started and not finished, but I do plan to finish them.

Also, since I haven't seen it mentioned or maybe I missed it, am I the only one who reads while using the facilities (at home, obviously)?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:37:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Also, since I haven't seen it mentioned or maybe I missed it, am I the only one who reads while using the facilities (at home, obviously)?

A friend of mine does, usually magazine. I've never done it---ever. The idea alone doesn't "smell" that appealing to me.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:38:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's my "reading room".

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:40:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I usually have music on when I read; but then again, I usually have music on just about any time other than when I'm trying to sleep or when I'm watching TV. And at work, unfortunately -- working in an inbound call center does not encourage listening to tunes, and the fact that it's officially forbidden also fails to encourage it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reread books at odd intervals... Usually, when working on an on-going series, I'll try to reread all the prior books shortly before the next one comes out (which means I've read the first few books of the Dresden Files quite a lot!). At other times, I'll just decide I feel like revisiting a particular tale or series, and bump it up in my reading queue. I tend to pick the next thing to read (other than the next book in a series) pretty much on a whim, so I might suddenly decide to read something I read just last year, something I haven't read in several years, or an entirely new book.

I just finished a couple of new books, and now I'm rereading the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books. I've only read them once, and that was several years ago. I recently decided to reread them, but then wasn't able to, because I hadn't replaced them yet. I thought they were out of print, because I was having a hard time finding them, until someone pointed out to me that Dark Horse was printing them. So I mentioned it to me wife, and the books wound up becoming a birthday present to me.

I've got plenty of new books to read, but I am a firm believer that if I find something enjoyable once, I'll find it enjoyable again.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:48:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

A friend of mine does, usually magazine. I've never done it---ever. The idea alone doesn't "smell" that appealing to me.

Well, my s#@$^&% don't stink, so there's no problem there!

My wife refuses to believe that the cat is the source of those occasionally unpleasant smells...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:51:10  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I can read while sitting, lying down, standing up, exercising, walking, jumping, running, eating... Heh. It would probably be easier for me to name the positions were I'm not reading. Which aren't that many.
quote:
My re-reading trends depend on personal preference, what I'm working on/writing about at that moment, and time between readings of a particular book.

I'm the same way. Read anywhere and everywhere, any position, any time. I also occasionally read while "indisposed", too. And I like to have some sort of noise going on when I read, as I go nuts when it's too quiet.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  01:51:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

My wife refuses to believe that the cat is the source of those occasionally unpleasant smells...

Perhaps she's right to do so?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:05:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm the same way. Read anywhere and everywhere, any position, any time. I also occasionally read while "indisposed", too. And I like to have some sort of noise going on when I read, as I go nuts when it's too quiet.

Before, I read almost anywhere except in my bed. 'Twas my partner who revealed to me the wonders of reading in bed before and after 'you know what.'

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:08:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I reread books at odd intervals... Usually, when working on an on-going series, I'll try to reread all the prior books shortly before the next one comes out (which means I've read the first few books of the Dresden Files quite a lot!). At other times, I'll just decide I feel like revisiting a particular tale or series, and bump it up in my reading queue. I tend to pick the next thing to read (other than the next book in a series) pretty much on a whim, so I might suddenly decide to read something I read just last year, something I haven't read in several years, or an entirely new book.

I just finished a couple of new books, and now I'm rereading the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books. I've only read them once, and that was several years ago. I recently decided to reread them, but then wasn't able to, because I hadn't replaced them yet. I thought they were out of print, because I was having a hard time finding them, until someone pointed out to me that Dark Horse was printing them. So I mentioned it to me wife, and the books wound up becoming a birthday present to me.

I've got plenty of new books to read, but I am a firm believer that if I find something enjoyable once, I'll find it enjoyable again.

I reread very rarely because I rarely run out of new books. Heh, even my favorite movies I watch only twice---once in the cinema and once at home, when the dvd is out. I guess I'm just a firm believer of "life is too short," and so explore as many things as I can I should.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:10:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's my "reading room".

It's my auxiliary reading room. My "main reading room" is whatever room I happen to be in when I'm reading. Which is practically every other room.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:13:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I usually have music on when I read; but then again, I usually have music on just about any time other than when I'm trying to sleep or when I'm watching TV. And at work, unfortunately -- working in an inbound call center does not encourage listening to tunes, and the fact that it's officially forbidden also fails to encourage it.

I don't like listening to vocal music when I'm reading, as I find it distracting... likely because I'll end up just singing along. Which is kinda strange, I suppose, because I can read whilst sitting amongst crowds and people chatting.

For musical accompaniment while reading, though, it has to be either classical/baroque, or something I've composed.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2011 :  02:25:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't like listening to vocal music when I'm reading, as I find it distracting... likely because I'll end up just singing along. Which is kinda strange, I suppose, because I can read whilst sitting amongst crowds and people chatting.

For musical accompaniment while reading, though, it has to be either classical/baroque, or something I've composed.

If I pop in a CD, it'll be distracting. But if it's just the radio, it doesn't distract me.

Now, if I'm not reading, then it depends on what I'm doing. The radio most of the time, but CDs/MP3s for when I'm paying attention to the music. I can listen to CDs while doing just about anything, including having a conversation.

I once surprised a coworker doing something similar to that: he hollered something at me while I was flirting with a waitress. When I didn't acknowledge him, he asked me if I'd heard him -- at which point, I quoted back what he said, and then continued right on with the flirting. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him staring in shock at one of the other kitchen guys, and asking how I just did that!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000