Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are there any noteworthy AASIMAR in the realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  12:19:40  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

$3.5M violin ... a Guarneri? Mozart's overdone, my current preferences for strings are Bach, Tchaikovsky, Bartók, and Holst. Played by Samvel Yervinyan, Vanessa Mae, and the ever-inept Alex DePue.

My current preference for strings is Apocalyptica

quote:

Celestials are less likely to impose on mortals? Pull the other wand. They meddle with mortals just as much, they make grievous mistakes, they succumb to ephemeral earthly temptations. Why else would there be so many fallen or outcast celestials? I suppose many aasimar would seek to live among the celestials, explaining their apparent lack of presence.

I believe I said celestials are less likely to go around "corrupting mortals just for fun." I didn't say they won't impose, and I didn't say they won't corrupt them. I just said they are less likely to do so for fun. If a celestial being needs something done, and they have to use a mortal to do so, they will. And most of them don't seem to care what the outcome is for the mortal, so long as the overall outcome is what they wanted. As long as I get what I wanted, then things are good.

quote:

Good is boring? Yeah, sadly true. We remember and talk about evil (or at least wantonly destructive) characters a lot more than we talk about the good boys and girls. Elminster was boring until his goodness got tarnished, Drizzt was exciting until his goodness got shiny. Just my opinions.

I don't think good is boring. I think good is written as boring. I have quite a number of "good" characters who make very interesting stories. I can see that LG might be more likely to "follow a script," especially because of the moral code, but that doesn't have to be so. Creativity can solve a lot of problems without breaking a moral code. But think how much more free, and fun, and creative you could get with a CG or NG character... I know I have a blast.

Also, I know how much fun I have with my CN and CG characters acting for the LG characters without their knowledge. I love irony. I love when the reader knows things the characters don't. How fun is it to have the LG paladin thinking he defeated that BBEG while taking the moral high road, when in actuality his friends took him down the "easy" way and spared the paladin all the details?

I also personally like a touch of reality in my fiction. What would happen if, just like in real life, the good guy were to lose? omg Is that even possible?

People like to see the "bad guy" get saved. So maybe that's why there are so many noble tieflings and half-fiends. People like to think that somehow means there's a chance for them, too. Not to mention, as has been pointed out, people like to see good guys get corrupted. I think that's a human thing too. "See? Paladin X fell. I'm not so bad." So why not write about more of those fallen celestials or perhaps the evil aasimar?

Hmm... Noble fey'ri "saves" evil half-celestial... Something about that seems familiar...

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  13:54:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."
Careful Wooly. You might goad me into determining just whose Schwartz is bigger!
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

quote:

$3.5M violin ... a Guarneri? Mozart's overdone, my current preferences for strings are Bach, Tchaikovsky, Bartók, and Holst. Played by Samvel Yervinyan, Vanessa Mae, and the ever-inept Alex DePue.

My current preference for strings is Apocalyptica
I've only just started looking to their works, after the recommendation of another scribe here at Candlekeep. Interesting stuff so far.

Although, I still have a weak spot for Bartók.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  14:01:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."
Careful Wooly. You might goad me into determining just whose Schwartz is bigger!

I figured your line from the movie would be "When will then be now?" "Soon!"

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  14:13:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I figured your line from the movie would be "When will then be now?" "Soon!"

I didn't think my handling of time-related issues was that certain?

Besides, I've always been more of a fan of the "Now that I have my coffee, I'm ready to watch Radar." scene.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  14:32:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any movies, films, TV series which feature aasimar? That is, human characters with some trace of divine blood? If so, are these characters actually worth noting or are they overshadowed by their evil counterparts? The only one that comes to my mind is Constantine, and the character was hardly memorable. I probably wouldn't even remember his name if it wasn't also the title of the movie.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Feb 2011 14:34:54
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  15:24:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are many Aasimar characters "show cased" in FR literature and supplements. This doesn't mean that they aren't a great Race to play. Their +1 LA is sort of a pain but their revision in the v3.5 Monster Manual makes them a more viable choice espically because they get daylight 1/day instead of light 1/day. In addition to that, a +2 Wis, +2 Cha just screams Paladin, Cleric, and Favored Soul classes in addition to the Crusader class from ToB. And I think they're more interesting than Tieflings by all measures.

The reason people like Tieflings more is because they're visually more impressive, they represent the "out cast" persona very well, and demonic style characters have loads of Role-Playing possibilities. In my campaigns, I take out the -2 Cha from their Raical Adjustments because it doesn't mechanically make sense nor does it make sense in a flavorable aspect.

In 4E terms, the Tiefling makes great character due to their +2 Cha; +2 Int or +2 Con make them great Paladins (I know, right?!), wizards, Rune Priests, Warlocks (and Hexblades), and a few other classes. They're very versatile and they're heavily supported by feats and unique paragon paths.

Devas (4E Aasimar's) get similar treatment, though their support is far less. I think this is because Tieflings have been show cased as major PC races since 4E's inception while Devas were an add-on in the Player's Handbook 2. Still, Devas are fun as hell to play with their +2 Int, +2 Wis as they make for great Clerics, Wizards, and espically Invokers.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  16:28:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Choosing a class was tough, but my agent said I'd make a kick-ass warlock. Anyway, I decided to call the Infernal Pact for obvious reasons, although the Fey Pact was pretty tempting ..." — Tiefling

Aasimar might be the expected to become awesome paladin and cleric sorts ... but I think aasimar warlocks would be equally impressive, and who wouldn't find an aasimar bard compelling?

To be technical: tieflings were introduced as a player race in 2E planescape, although (as a race) they had a very different look and flavour than they do in 4E. The same planescape lore also included aasimar, but as hardly more than a monster entry.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  16:33:55  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Choosing a class was tough, but my agent said I'd make a kick-ass warlock. Anyway, I decided to call the Infernal Pact for obvious reasons, although the Fey Pact was pretty tempting ..." — Tiefling

Aasimar might be the expected to become awesome paladin and cleric sorts ... but I think aasimar warlocks would be equally impressive, and who wouldn't find an aasimar bard compelling?

To be technical: tieflings were introduced as a player race in 2E planescape, although (as a race) they had a very different look and flavour than they do in 4E. The same planescape lore also included aasimar, but as hardly more than a monster entry.

Forgive my ignorance. I've been away from the actual game since the 2nd edition. Do the bonuses and additional abilities I presume the Aasimar gain make them too potentially powerful? Is a anAasimar Cleric or Paladin just too uber?
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  16:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are there any movies, films, TV series which feature aasimar? That is, human characters with some trace of divine blood? If so, are these characters actually worth noting or are they overshadowed by their evil counterparts? The only one that comes to my mind is Constantine, and the character was hardly memorable. I probably wouldn't even remember his name if it wasn't also the title of the movie.

Really? I just assumed Constantine was some guy who had those powers from some accident of birth (like a mutant). There were plenty of half breeds, though I wasn't 100% clear on their origin. Were they literally half breeds, or were they something else like angels/demons (presumably somewhat depowered) in human form? I know that there is something to support some kind of ascension idea, but I can't remember if it was in the main movie or a deleted scene.

Beyond that I can't recall the idea popping up any place outside of D&D fiction. The angel part I mean. The demon/devil part pops up now and then.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:00:14  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was a TV mini series back in 2007 called Fallen that featured half-angels (nephilim) as the main characters, but not aasimar. It involved full angels as some of the "bad guys" as well as the good guys, and Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) as Lucifer. I have to admit that I liked it. Shhhh....

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Edited by - Brynweir on 06 Feb 2011 17:14:42
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:04:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember those (or really any other) details from that movie, though I remember enough to consider it not worth watching a second time. Maybe Constantine was (or wasn't) an aasimar. Either way, are there other examples?

Yeah, angels (of some sort) feature in any number of shows. But half-angels or diluted angel descendants? Is this concept just too "boring" or strange (or perhaps too religiously offensive) to become mainstream?

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Feb 2011 17:07:05
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:07:01  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Why people prefer the "bad" guys.

"So, Lone Starr. Yogurt has taught you well. If there's one thing I despise, it is a fair fight. But if I must, then I must. May the best man win. Put 'er there." He reaches out to shake Lone Starr's hand and instead takes his Schwartz ring.

"The Ring! I can't believe you fell for the oldest trick in the book! What a goof! What's with you man? Come on! You know what? Here let me give it back to you." He throws it down the grate.

"Oh, look, you fell for that too! I can't believe it, man!"

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:22:26  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, angels (of some sort) feature in any number of shows. But half-angels or diluted angel descendants? Is this concept just too "boring" or strange (or perhaps too religiously offensive) to become mainstream?

I don't see why it would be religiously offensive, but I'm certain it would, since people find fault with almost everything one way or another. If you think about it, though, there are examples of half-celestials even in the Bible. Right?
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My guess is that the masses see angels as beings that don't sleep around with human women. Either because they literally can't (by divine edict, or because they lack the equipment), or because they are beyond earthly desires. They are viewed as oppoosing demons. Demons usually personify corruption and temptation on every level possible, which includes physical pleasure (viewed by some as a weakness us lowly mortals should control). So I don't think it's that odd that there aren't many to speak of in (wide spread, popular) fiction.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:36:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep probably another reason why there's so much tiefling love now. As the editions rolled on, they've gain a lot of popularity (same as drow) while Aasimar have fallen behind.

quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Forgive my ignorance. I've been away from the actual game since the 2nd edition. Do the bonuses and additional abilities I presume the Aasimar gain make them too potentially powerful? Is a Aasimar Cleric or Paladin just too uber?

Not really, espically when you consider the +1 level adjustement. Or at least not compared to a race that works well with it's Faovred Class such as a gold elf Wizard or a half-orc Barbarian. Their special qualities play up to the divine classes better than others, but as Arik said, they make good Bards as well with the +2 to Cha, and the +2 to Wis isn't a bad buff either. Couple that with no racial penalties and it's a solid choice for a race.

And as far as the fun at playing Good vs. Evil, that's all pretty much up to the style a player enjoys regardless of Race. An Aasimar can just as easily be an evil Warlock or Dread Necromancer as a Tiefling can be a good Paladin or Cleric.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  17:43:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only Biblical references I can recall would be the Nephilim, though there might be others. Many religions (real and fictional) claim that some monarch or dynasty possesses divine or celestial lineage. Some mythologies would technically have all of humanity be descended, at least in part, from the blood of a common divine or celestial ancestor.

Agreed, an aasimar or avatar character seems quite inoffensive when demons, devils, and various monstrous evils are already popularized in the media. That still doesn't make them any less "boring", though, because good is dumb.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  18:01:51  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be mistaken here, but can't a half-celestial be the child of a deity and a mortal and not just that of, say, an angel and a mortal? Half-celestial = the son of a god born of a mortal woman, no? Yeah, go ahead and yell at me.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  20:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By 4e, devas as they are now called (angels have been completely reworked so deva is no longer a type of angel, and people got tired of the assimar joke) are no longer the result of celestials mixing with mortals, rather they are celestials who have bound themselves to a mortal form. They don't reproduce sexually; rather, whenever they die, they are reincarnated in a new form with fragmented memories. Also, if they turn to evil, then when they are reincarnated they become...what are those things called...the evil cat peole with the backwards hands? Rakshas? Something like that.

Likewise, tieflings(which I pronounce TIE) are no longer the result of crossbreeding with fiends, but are a race unto themselves born of a pact between humans and devils. They also have a more standard physical appearance as opposed to simply being humans with slight deformities. A lot of people don't like the new look as they think it is too monstrous, which is a valid arguement, but personally I like it.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  20:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

By 4e, devas as they are now called (angels have been completely reworked so deva is no longer a type of angel, and people got tired of the assimar joke) are no longer the result of celestials mixing with mortals, rather they are celestials who have bound themselves to a mortal form. They don't reproduce sexually; rather, whenever they die, they are reincarnated in a new form with fragmented memories. Also, if they turn to evil, then when they are reincarnated they become...what are those things called...the evil cat peole with the backwards hands? Rakshas? Something like that.

Likewise, tieflings(which I pronounce TIE) are no longer the result of crossbreeding with fiends, but are a race unto themselves born of a pact between humans and devils. They also have a more standard physical appearance as opposed to simply being humans with slight deformities. A lot of people don't like the new look as they think it is too monstrous, which is a valid arguement, but personally I like it.

You're close. Rakshasa is what you're looking for. Don't they also keep reincarnating upon death (with no real hope of going back to Deva status)?

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  20:24:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half-god ... the rules in (and out) of D&D seem very unclear about what that actually implies, a half-god might essentially amount to being a pure-god, an avatar of the parent god, a Hercules superhero, or simply a remarkable "human" hero/King/etc.

To me there seems to be a bit a blur between the weakest gods and the mightiest fiends/celestials in D&D, confusing the distinction between a half-god and a half-celestial even more. Some people can accept (or assume) more absolute definitions than I can, and of course, the relevant details have suffered several contradictory revisions over the years.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Feb 2011 20:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it is possible to go back to deva, though I forget how and don't have access to any of my source books right now.

I'm not disinterested in devas, and indeed I love their current look of tall humans with unearthly two-toned skin colors. But their scarcity makes them hard to intigrate into a story without sticking out like a sore thumb, the built in past lives weighing down on them can be tricky to write for, and their extreme reluctance if not flat out inability to go evil makes them tricky when most of my stories focus on people who are at best in the darker side of neutral.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  21:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I believe it is possible to go back to deva, though I forget how and don't have access to any of my source books right now.

I'm not disinterested in devas, and indeed I love their current look of tall humans with unearthly two-toned skin colors. But their scarcity makes them hard to intigrate into a story without sticking out like a sore thumb, the built in past lives weighing down on them can be tricky to write for, and their extreme reluctance if not flat out inability to go evil makes them tricky when most of my stories focus on people who are at best in the darker side of neutral.

It will be interesting to see how they are handled in Dawnbringer.

@Arik-Yeah I am of the belief that some of the Archdevils and the Demon Princes are on a power level comparable to some of the lesser gods and the lines can get blurry. Not counting Asmodeus who is a full on god now. Are there any examples of half gods?* I would think with a direct divine connection like that they would have the chance to potentially ascend at some point. I suppose we might see something along these lines in Godborn depending on what transpired with Cale's unborn child (as far as what Mask did or did not do).

*What was Bane's son counted as? One of these days I might read more about him.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  21:33:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xvim Baneson was generally considered a lesser power or demipower, although his parentage involved some vague kind of demon or fiend, not a mortal. Many half-gods exist, although the non-god parent is typically some kind of unique or titanic planar thing or primal concept or whatever, again not a mortal. Well-known half-gods from mythology include Hercules/Heracles, Achilles, Perseus, Helen of Troy, King Minos, Gilgamesh, Thor, Tyr, Egyptian Pharaohs, Chinese and Japanese Emperors ... some of these were alternately worshipped as full gods. Technically all half-gods are called "demi-gods", though not in D&D.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Xvim Baneson was generally considered a lesser power or demipower, although his parentage involved some vague kind of demon or fiend, not a mortal. Many half-gods exist, although the non-god parent is typically some kind of unique or titanic planar thing or primal concept or whatever, again not a mortal. Well-known half-gods from mythology include Hercules/Heracles, Achilles, Perseus, Helen of Troy, King Minos, Gilgamesh, Thor, Tyr, Egyptian Pharaohs, Chinese and Japanese Emperors ... some of these were alternately worshipped as full gods. Technically all half-gods are called "demi-gods", though not in D&D.

Sorry, I meant in D&D. I know there are a number in Earth mythology.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  22:59:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it would be simpler to answer your question by just saying "no, there aren't really any consistent game rules for divinely-sired NPCs".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  23:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thought that annoys me about devas turning into rakshasas when they cross the line into evil; angels, by their very nature, are no longer good. They are the servants of the gods, good or evil, and share their deity's alignment. It would make sense for some evil angels to have bound themselves in mortal form as well, creating evil devas.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2011 :  23:36:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rakshasas have always been a bit of a problem child in D&D planar lore. They've evolved through roles as simple monsters, "evil spirits", demons, quasi-demons, quasi-devils, interloping evil planars ... further complicated by the oft-conflicting treatment/roles of Rakshasas in Eberron and other settings.

The fallen-deva story is part of D&D's cosmic cleanup effort, an attempt to categorically remove redundancies and exceptions, much like the fallen-angel erinyes succubus and fallen-celestial archdevil retcons. Reasonably plausible, actually quite sensible. I'm more inclined to stick with older lore on such things — the planes (and their denizens) aren't required to have symmetry, fit into nice compartments, or make any sense to mortals.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  06:18:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think it's pretty common that most people like the evil/dark race/organization more than their good counterparts. Most like dark angels than angels; death knights than (plain, boring) knights; death god than god of life; necromancers than enchanters...No wonder most also like tieflings more than aasimar.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  06:44:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even in this thread about aasimar we prefer to talk about tieflings.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2011 :  06:49:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Angels usually bore me, unless they become selfish and evil, though not necessarily dark.

Aasimar...doesn't interest me at all.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000