Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Navy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What kingdom or counrty in FR's has the largest a best equiped navy?
I've always been fascinated by epic naval battles and i'm just curious where the best naval forces reside in the FR.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  13:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Cormy'r navy, as far as the Sea of Fallen Stars area is concerned, is up there, if not the best.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  14:33:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I some ways the question is meaningless.
It part because it depends on time period, also are you asking about number of ships, overall military power?
There is also merchant Navy, territories that secure privateers as part of navel force.
Evermeet clearly had/has a powerful Navy which included spelljammers.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Synthalus
Learned Scribe

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Synthalus's Homepage Send Synthalus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it was just a general question overall. im in the navy myself and i was just curious if anyone had any references to FR books or cannon that explains or portrays naval battles and or supremacy by one counrty or another.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
— H.P. Lovecraft (The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories)
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:29:57  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The correct answer (and not by anything close to a small margin) is Shou Lung. Their navy is several orders of magnitude larger than the next largest in existence. While I'm not familiar with Zakhara myself, I would say from tangenital stuff I've read that the 'Corsair navy' which it can apparently assemble is the next biggest.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:54:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars collectively have a mighty fleet. Not really a nation, nor a necessarily cohesive naval force. But still a dominant presence.

Mulmaster does pretty good in the Moonsea, I hear.

I think the elves of Evermeet maintained fleets. Possibly also the Moonshaes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  17:59:23  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as Faerun, Calimshan's is pretty large (being comprised of the Nallojal -Calimshan's navy- and the Qysanallojal- the Imperial Navy of Calimshan), as is Thay's. Although it's not as big as Calimshan's, the heavyweight on the high seas is Evermeet; with sea elf marines, an aircraft carrier (!) and a slew of marine battlemagi, no one who wants to remain afloat for long messes with Amlauril's navy.
By comparison, the Blue Dragons (Cormyr's navy) is IIRC a well trained and equipped, but very small force, numbering only a couple dozen ships larger than a skiff, and only one or two 'ships of the line'.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 03 Feb 2011 18:00:45
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  18:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

As far as Faerun, Calimshan's is pretty large (being comprised of the Nallojal -Calimshan's navy- and the Qysanallojal- the Imperial Navy of Calimshan)...

Interesting. What's the source on that, Knight?

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  20:34:21  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

As far as Faerun, Calimshan's is pretty large (being comprised of the Nallojal -Calimshan's navy- and the Qysanallojal- the Imperial Navy of Calimshan)...

Interesting. What's the source on that, Knight?

Cheers,

Christopher

IIRC, it's in Lands of Intrigue, available as a free download from Wizards.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  20:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The 2E Boxed set on Tethyr, Amn, and Erlkazar? You don't mean Empires of the Shining Sea? The latter boxed set, covering Calimshan (and "The Land of Lions") has information on El Nallojal but I think the term Qysanallojal might be new to me. Sounds like a term from the Age of Shoon, though.

And since I've got the book out, I'll go ahead and quote, for the OP's benefit, a few lines about the Calishite navy.

quote:
Rebuilt only a little over a decade ago [as of 1370 DR]...Syl-Pasha Pesarkhal sees it as simply a tool to be used to consolidate Calimshan's power throughout the Shining Sea and the Sword Coast regions. The cities with large naval forces are Almraiven and Teshburl, but all of the port cities have specially designated naval piers and wharves. There are always at least 12 ships in any Calishite or nearby allied port and no fewer than 30 moored in Almraiven, Calimport, Memnon, and Teshburl.
Empires of the Shining Sea, p. 68

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  21:35:25  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

The 2E Boxed set on Tethyr, Amn, and Erlkazar? You don't mean Empires of the Shining Sea? The latter boxed set, covering Calimshan (and "The Land of Lions") has information on El Nallojal but I think the term Qysanallojal might be new to me. Sounds like a term from the Age of Shoon, though.

And since I've got the book out, I'll go ahead and quote, for the OP's benefit, a few lines about the Calishite navy.

quote:
Rebuilt only a little over a decade ago [as of 1370 DR]...Syl-Pasha Pesarkhal sees it as simply a tool to be used to consolidate Calimshan's power throughout the Shining Sea and the Sword Coast regions. The cities with large naval forces are Almraiven and Teshburl, but all of the port cities have specially designated naval piers and wharves. There are always at least 12 ships in any Calishite or nearby allied port and no fewer than 30 moored in Almraiven, Calimport, Memnon, and Teshburl.
Empires of the Shining Sea, p. 68

Cheers,

Christopher

TBH, Christopher, I got that from my notes on my laptop; it may well have come from SES's thread here at the 'Keep.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2011 :  22:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From searching on the forums I'm thinking the term might be a historical one from one of the timelines. I'll have to dig into this a little further.

Cheers,

Christopher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000