Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Your top five
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  15:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric...I can't help but exploit your "trail/trial" type-o....

An except from my next novel, The Trail of Cyric the Mad:

"Hmm...where did that evil god Cyric go? Let's see if we can find him...is he under the couch? No...is he in the closet...no...My god! Look over there! It's....a trail! A trail of blood and stolen hearts and giraffe corpses and cinnamon rolls and silly putty and....Son of a - there's more! There's a whole TRAIL of broken wagon wheels and pizza toppings and lute strings and...and...MORE giraffe corpses! This trail...is MAD!!! This must be the TRAIL OF CYRIC THE MAD!!! Onward men!"

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2003 :  22:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric is unneceserily mad
he is really weird and sb ( maybe mystra and tyr) must tie him very well and AO must put him in somewhere he can't do anything
Madness is not balance evil is
He is a ........... .......... he has problems he is delusional
I like him but I only associate with him if he gathers himself together.

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  03:10:58  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well they rock but I haven't read many books that aren't Salvatores and some of those have his stories too.
I am a slow reader,I love to read and read everyday but when I read fast I keep having to go back and I don't enjoy the book then.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  15:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Spellfire and Elfshadow must be pretty dang good, those pop up the most. :)

The reason I want to exclude Salvatore is not because I dislike him, quite the contrary. I've read all of his stuff and since the whole purpose for me to start this thread was to look for something new including him would have defeated the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  19:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE Elaine Cunningham...I can't BELIEVE she hasn't done more work...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  19:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, Jander, Cyric caused his own madness....And he is mad no longer, thank the gods...things get awful scary in Crucible...

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2003 :  21:12:59  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

I LOVE Elaine Cunningham...I can't BELIEVE she hasn't done more work...

Look at Salvatores site and check his links, Elaine Cunningham along with Terry Brooks are both under the other author sites sub link.
Here is a link straight to her--->http://www.elainecunningham.com/

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  06:37:53  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok *phew* finally done the Icewind Dale trilogy moving on to umm the Dark Elf trilogy. Salvatore's work seems ok ( I really Like Wulfgar, Bruenor and Regis).... however while my respect for Artemis has grown ( how can one not admire the assasin?) My respect for Drizzt ( if there was any shred of it) has all but vanished... but perhaps I may see something I like so I move on. Oh, is there anymore required reading, I should be aware of?
Question: Does anyone know if there were anymore Lirial and Fydor stories after... Tangled Webs? I think it'd be so neat to hear more of their struggles on the surface... more so about what type of resistence they would encounter in Rashemen.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  06:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. There's one more, Windwalker, which was published during the last year, deals with Liriel and Fyodor's travel to Rashemen, and the events that happen there...
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  12:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read elfshadow yesterday, now my fav is it.
Elain is one of the best realms writter. I respect her

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  01:48:41  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Ok *phew* finally done the Icewind Dale trilogy moving on to umm the Dark Elf trilogy. Salvatore's work seems ok ( I really Like Wulfgar, Bruenor and Regis).... however while my respect for Artemis has grown ( how can one not admire the assasin?) My respect for Drizzt ( if there was any shred of it) has all but vanished... but perhaps I may see something I like so I move on. Oh, is there anymore required reading, I should be aware of?
Question: Does anyone know if there were anymore Lirial and Fydor stories after... Tangled Webs? I think it'd be so neat to hear more of their struggles on the surface... more so about what type of resistence they would encounter in Rashemen.

Maybe you will change your mind about Drizzt after Homeland unless you already have your mind made up.I hope this isn't the case, I would like to think that I am a fairly good judge of people and I think of you as open minded.

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2003 :  14:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cadderly could pimp slap Drizzt and take his lunch money on his worst day..

Just throwing that out there.
Go to Top of Page

Fearsn
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  05:56:16  Show Profile  Visit Fearsn's Homepage Send Fearsn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, just stumbled apon this forum and figure I would throw my change your way. BTW, R.A. would have my top 5.

#1 Darkwalker on Moonshae - this is the book that got me started with fantasy novels in 1989, specifically FR. Great story by Douglas Niles

#2 Elfshadow - so much fun, this whole series is worth the read
#3 Shadow's Witness - Erevis Cale, got to love his character.
#4 Twilight Falling - Cale again
#5 Elfsong - Elaine is amazing

Edited by - Fearsn on 03 Dec 2003 05:57:43
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  10:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fearsn

Hello everyone, just stumbled apon this forum and figure I would throw my change your way. BTW, R.A. would have my top 5.

#1 Darkwalker on Moonshae - this is the book that got me started with fantasy novels in 1989, specifically FR. Great story by Douglas Niles

#2 Elfshadow - so much fun, this whole series is worth the read
#3 Shadow's Witness - Erevis Cale, got to love his character.
#4 Twilight Falling - Cale again
#5 Elfsong - Elaine is amazing

Welcome Fearsn

I also started on Darkwalker, I think many others did too. Its a nice gritty book!
I agree with Elfshadow and Elfsong being good books, but the series was let down big time by the last novel - The Dream Spheres! One of the worst FR novels ive read.
Cale novels - second to none!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2003 :  10:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Cale novels - second to none!

Except for Starlight and Shadows.
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2003 :  14:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange that there are so many Elaine Cunningham fans. I personally find her novels to be mediocre at best, but to each their own. Here is my list of faves though this is likely to change as I read more Forgotten Realms books.

1 -- Insurrection, by Thomas M. Reid (Part 2 of the War of the Spider Queen) -- Excellent story climaxing on the fall of the drow city, Ched Nasad!

2 -- Dissolution, by Richard Lee Byers (Part 1 of the War of the Spider Queen) -- This one got me hooked and now i'm an addict

3 -- Curse of the Shadowmage, by Mark Anthony (Harpers book 11) -- Maybe its because I just finished this book but I found this to be very exciting and awe inspiring. If only there was a third book in this set (Crypt of the Shadowking was the first part)...Mark Anthony is a great author.

4 -- Condemnation, by Richard Baker (Part 3 of the War of the Spider Queen) -- Feed the addiciton. My only problem with this book were some of the inconsistencies, but otherwise...very good.

5 -- The Parched Sea, by Troy Denning (Harpers book 1) -- This one I read quite a while ago but really enjoyed. It focuses on a group rarely talked about in the Realms, the Bedine.
Go to Top of Page

Arthur
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  04:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Arthur's Homepage Send Arthur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question Friend.

1-Parched Sea

2-Spellfire

3-Elfshadow

4-Wyvern's Spur

5-HighRoad

May your blade strike true, through the heart of your enemy.
Go to Top of Page

mikhel
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  05:10:29  Show Profile  Visit mikhel's Homepage Send mikhel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very good question indeed!

1. Cormyr
2. Elminster in Myth Drannor
3. Daughter of the Drow
4. Once Around the Realms
5. Dark Elf Trilogy

Its hard to pick my top five as I am sure it will change every month or so, but here are my current top five.

ummm...."I have nothing witty to say right now"
Go to Top of Page

spikeyhairedone
Acolyte

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2003 :  18:51:14  Show Profile  Visit spikeyhairedone's Homepage Send spikeyhairedone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no particular order:
The Wyvern's spur
Pool of radiance
Spellfire
Song of the Saurials
The Ogre's pact

Hello, Hello, what's all that shouting we'll have none of that trouble here.
Go to Top of Page

Galothean
Acolyte

South Africa
6 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  09:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Galothean's Homepage Send Galothean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MY TOP 5:
1. The Crystal Shard by R.A. Slavatore
2. Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham3. Pool of Radiance by James M. Ward and Jane Cooper Hong
4. Prince of Lies by James Lowder
5. Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Lord Teclis
Acolyte

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2006 :  09:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Teclis's Homepage Send Lord Teclis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Farthest Reach
Elminster in Myth Drannor
Insurrection
Daughter of the Drow
Blackstaff

This excludes all RAS novels as I would say that most of my five would have been one of his novels.

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2006 :  02:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Elminster in Hell
2. Shadows of Doom
3. Silverfall
4. Stormlight
5. Elminster in Myth Drannor

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  02:39:05  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale Trilogy, Elfshadow, Curse of the Shadowmage, Mistress of the Night, the Cleric Quintet

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  17:45:48  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Liriel Baenrae triology, and the Erevis cale triology.

And yes I do realize that that is six books, but I cant help it, so forgive me! ;) I think the mood and the feel in those books are spectacular. sweeps you away to a place called faerun.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  18:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My top five Realms books

Daughter of the Drow
Tangled Webs
Windwalker

The prince of lies
The trail of Cyric the mad

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

zoso1977
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  19:45:00  Show Profile  Visit zoso1977's Homepage Send zoso1977 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkwalker on Moonshae (First FR novel I read when it first came out)
Azure bonds
Spellfire
Windwalker
Twilight falling

We are drifting in blind orbits helpless and alone-Jim Morrison
Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  04:44:40  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to pick individual books out of series', so I'll do this two ways:
First to answer the actual question

1. Evermeet: Isle of the Elves- The most brilliant piece of writing to come out of the Realms, I think it'd be an all-time fantasy classic if it wasn't "just another FR novel".
2. Tantras- Gotta love it when gods fight, but any of the Time of Trouble's novels could go here.
3. Silverfall- I'm such a sucker for the Seven Sisters... :p
4. Death of the Dragon- The best of a fantastic series
5. Spellfire- Classic

Now I'll do the best series as a whole

1. Time of Troubles (Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep)- Most important, lore-wise, of any FR series and the best written.
2. Cormyr Trilogy- All fantastic novels, incredible depth to them all
3. Spellfire- Classic, I miss Shandril
4. The Last Mythal- I enjoyed it alot, I'm such a softie for elves...
5. The Hapers

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  05:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is insanely difficult to pick and Iīm not sure Iīd answer the same in two weeks, but here goes...
I, too, will split into stand-alone and series (just to be able to skirt some tough decisions *ahem*).

Stand Alone:
Elfshadow
Finderīs Bane
Crypt of the Shadowking
Evermeet
The Wyvernīs Spur

Series:
The Threat from the Sea
The Cormyr Trilogy
The Moonshae Trilogy
The Empires Trilogy
The Avatar Series (sure, part of it approaches written hell, but just for the lore and being the first I read)

Honorable mention (since itīs somewhat an off-shoot) belongs to "Once around the Realms" - Volo is Ao.

I have to say...there are many newer novels I really love, but those Iīve read thrice or more and still love go before them in my list.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  10:36:01  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Forsaken House
2. Evermeet
3. Midnight's Mask
4. City of Splendors
5. Vanitys Brood

But I think the Blackstaff will surpass them all

Edited by - Marc on 07 Nov 2006 11:04:39
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  19:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novels:
1. Elfsong
2. Dawn of Night
3. The Wyvern's Spur
4. The Night Parade
5. Swords of Eveningstar

Series:
1. Finder's Stone
2. Songs and Swords
3. Erevis Cale
4. Starlight and Shadows
5. House of Serpents

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000