Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What edition do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  01:03:20  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No edition.

Sorry, everyone, but the way I want to play in the Realms is not really covered by any D&D edition except probably the original RED/BLUE/GREEN/PURPLE/BLACK boxes (BECMI).

The way I want to play in the Realms is covered by King Arthur Pendragon, HarnMaster, and Rolemaster.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  01:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EltonJ

No edition.

Sorry, everyone, but the way I want to play in the Realms is not really covered by any D&D edition except probably the original RED/BLUE/GREEN/PURPLE/BLACK boxes (BECMI).

The way I want to play in the Realms is covered by King Arthur Pendragon, HarnMaster, and Rolemaster.

Actually, Sword & Sorcery put out a fine book called Relics & Rituals - Excalibur that's all about the Arthurian style campaign, complete with classic mythology we associate with the time. A great book, if anyone's interested. They even have one out for a Grecian campaign set back in that wondrous time, and even modifiers for the race if you want to play a Spartan or a citizen from another city. That book is called Relics & Rituals - Olympus.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  01:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use GURPS 4th Edition.

The mechanics of A/D&D were never really suited for the feel of Realmslore and novels. Just look at the difficulty of statting novel characters in D&D.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  20:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play 3.5, thinking about incorporating some Pathfinder stuff into our campaigns. I used to play 2ed and loved it, but when I got back into gaming the 3ed FRCS had just come out and that was what the group that invited me to play was using. However many years later and I'm still using that same FRCS. I love the Realms of 2nd and 3rd edition.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  15:46:29  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with 2nd edition, jumped to 3.0, then settled on 3.5 D&D. I play and like Pathfinder too, but it depends on how my players are feeling if we play it or not. I love the 3.5 rules for all the flexibility and customization. I still flip through my 2e books and ESDs for the vast wealth of lore they have (3.X books are usually skimpy on the lore, I find).

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2010 :  07:04:12  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

...and think 4E is too much like a video game. I want details and descriptions, not a "quickie"

I'm sorry you had such a horrible DM
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  22:48:21  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play a home-brew mix of 2e through to 3.5e.
I like the Proficiences of 2e mixed with the Feats of 3.5 and the Kits of 2e as Prestige Classes of 3 and 3.5.
That and I mix the Old Grey Box with the FRCS 3e.

Some of the 2e weapons like the fencing sabre linked with the single weapon prof specialization and weapon specialization, as my favorite Half Elf weilds.

As for 4e I've had a flick through and NO it's not for me.

To be honest I only play pre Time of Troubles.

But that s me

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  23:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D(but not FR)-wise I am currently taking part in a longish running (about 2 years now) 4E campaign. It has its good and bad points.

FR-wise I am, and continue to be, novel only.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2010 :  23:43:00  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play Pathfinder mostly but also 3.5e with a number of house rules. I am also just now running a PbP 2e game that is mostly Planescape but does touch on the realms and still feel the urge to do some 2e gaming now and again.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  17:58:35  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We play in a modified 1E version of the Realms, but we use Rolemaster rules. Instead of "Essence Flows" we say "the Weave" (and similar).

How's that for different? Heh!

In the past, though, I've played AD&D/1E, some 2E, and some 3E, but really only with Greyhawk and home-made worlds.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  03:23:28  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group has played 2nd since the core of us first formed and it was the first I started playing back in '93. There are some things I like about 3.5, but as a group we just reconfigure everything to 2nd. Tried 4th and hated it. Don;tr agree with many of the changes in 3.5 and that is why we convert. My timeline is set about 30 yrs ahead of 3.5 FR.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  11:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I DM a 4E game in the 4E Realms. When this campaign finishes I plan another 4E game set in the 4E Realms but after that I plan a 4E game set in the 3E Realms using the FRCS as the base and ignoring all of the novels.

Besides 4E, I'm also interested in running Swords & Wizardry at some point. I expect I will use the 2E or 3E Realms for that.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  04:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

<snip>
(Why, oh why did Azuth have to die?)

‘Tis a good question, that.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  04:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Is it somewhat telling that I'm the only one so far that has said they play 1st edition?

It simply means you're one of the most learned sages here at Candlekeep, lad! I recall (and still have) my first edition PHB and DMG. I didn't mind the second edition until I had to learn THAC0. That was one thing where I felt the third edition really improved the game.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  05:30:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. I never really understood the point of THACO, plus I found it somewhat limiting at higher levels. Once you hit 20, it never improves? Why the heck not?! One thing I do love about 3.5 is the versatility and the removal of level caps. I never used em even in 2nd ed.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  05:56:41  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've started playing 3rd Edition D&D when I was 10 years old (my B-day). the very Christmas 11 months later (my B-day is in Febuary)I got a 2nd Edition FR boxed set which I incorporated (and later bought 3rd Edition FR books).

when 3.5 came out I rebelled at first, but eventually embraced it.

4th Edition has started to show some changes and such things which are worthy of stealing and bringing into 3rd Edition, but I'm not gonna go into 4th Edition itself at full.

I've been lately coming back to 2nd Edition stuff so that I can give it a shot. I think the first few times I played D&D were in 2nd Edition, but that was back when I didn't know any rules and didn't DM. I was only like 7 or 8 year sold at those times.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
and a heart can only break so many times
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  22:14:39  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D 2nd Edition came out when I was like a year old? I'm 22 years old. I've read a lot of the second edition books because my parents had them but i've never really played it while understanding (I played it with my parents but didn't really understand - and it wasn't in the Forgotten Realms but their own universe) I used to read the Forgotten realms novels from a young age because my older brother had them (Starting with the Parched Sea and then the Crystal Shard... I don't think I knew they were related to D&D when I first started reading them)

I like 3.5 edition the best because I understand the system and all the rules. I haven't had an opportunity to learn 4th edition rules very well (I've played with them four times, though...) But never in the Forgotten Realms. I would NEVER in a million years consider using the Forgotten Realms they've butchered for 4th edition. I would use my own timeline with 4th edition rules.

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 19 Apr 2011 22:17:20
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  04:34:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I like 3.5 edition the best because I understand the system and all the rules. I haven't had an opportunity to learn 4th edition rules very well (I've played with them four times, though...) But never in the Forgotten Realms. I would NEVER in a million years consider using the Forgotten Realms they've butchered for 4th edition. I would use my own timeline with 4th edition rules.

Just a quick question: Why not use the 4th editon rules with a pre-spellplague timeline? I mean, I've always been a firm believer that rules=/=timeline of an campaign setting. People could easily run AD&D/2E in the post-Spellplague or 4E in the hey-day of Netheril. I'm just curious if you've given the idea a thought is all.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  05:21:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

quote:

Is it somewhat telling that I'm the only one so far that has said they play 1st edition?

It simply means you're one of the most learned sages here at Candlekeep, lad! I recall (and still have) my first edition PHB and DMG. I didn't mind the second edition until I had to learn THAC0. That was one thing where I felt the third edition really improved the game.

Lad...hehehe...now I feel all young again!

I'm still loving 1st Edition...getting ready to play a 1e game online with a few friends in my World of Aerk (link in signature).

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Just a quick question: Why not use the 4th editon rules with a pre-spellplague timeline? I mean, I've always been a firm believer that rules=/=timeline of an campaign setting. People could easily run AD&D/2E in the post-Spellplague or 4E in the hey-day of Netheril. I'm just curious if you've given the idea a thought is all.

The main reason I don't like rules changes is that I'm lazy. I seldom have time it seems to convert all the rules from edition to edition so that the proper stats are to be had...easier to simply play in an era that has the same game system I'm using.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  05:44:29  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Since I can’t stand D&D anymore (any edition), I always said to myself that I should try FR with another system (e.g. Burning Wheel, Shadow of Yesterday), but then my gaming partners moved away, so I had to made up my mind that FR will be "novels only" for me further on.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  11:18:00  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've play 1E, 2E, 3E, and my preference goes to AD&D 2E with Players Options.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  13:56:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The main reason I don't like rules changes is that I'm lazy. I seldom have time it seems to convert all the rules from edition to edition so that the proper stats are to be had...easier to simply play in an era that has the same game system I'm using.

I hear that, but there really isn't much to convert unless you using a specific NPC's stats or strong magical items. And for those hurdles, you can always ask for advise or a homebrew write up from one of us
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Acolyte

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to play AD&D, but never did any Forgotten Realms gaming until after I gave up D&D and later got lured back by a 3e Forgotten Realms game. I own some 2e FR products, but have never played them, as is.

The 3e PHB and FRCS were my first two 3e books. I originally found the changes in the rules frustrating...and was disappointed when I found out that Leira was removed from the pantheon. But eventually I came to prefer the 3e rules. I know that some folk find 3e stats a bit OTT, but I find that things like skills and feats give me a bigger picture of characters. I quite like a long description of a major NPC. (I would be happy to see a netbook full of FR NPCs.)

However, when it comes to lore, I think that 2e covers a lot of area that 3e neglects. I am interested in all the FR sub-settings and am sorry that each of them did not get at least a single 3e hardback. I consider 3e FR to be "incomplete" without 2e to back it up.

I would love to see every FR element converted to 3e rules for myself. And for fans of other rules, I would love to see the best 3e stuff retro-converted to 2e or 1e rules.

I would even say the same for cross-edition games using 4e, although I've not touched it. I think that taking the time travel rules from Arcane Age and allowing some PCs from Maztica to travel into the far future and see Returned Abeir displacing their land could be fun. A bunch of PC from The True World could actually be shown Returned Abeir by the Maztican gods and then sent back to an era closer to their own time to discover how the gods of the invading Amnians were about to unleash the Spellplague and destroy the world. If successful, they could "cancel" The Spellplague and avert many of the changes that 4e brought to the Realms.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Webmaster - Virtual Eclipse Roleplaying Club
http://www32.brinkster.com/virtualeclipse/
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/virtualeclipselrp/
Visit my Yahoo links for: Forgotten Realms websites, Al Qadim websites, Arcane Age websites, Kara-Tur websites, Maztica websites, The Horde websites and FRCS web enhancements
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  20:08:43  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Close to Pathfinder/2e E6, with a lot houserules (e.g. just three classes, mostly no xp for fights ...)
Go to Top of Page

chamber101
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  02:51:34  Show Profile Send chamber101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

Personally I play both Pathfinder and 2nd Edition. I voted for 2E because it is where I started, and it has this...mystical feel to it (I cant really describe it), one that was prevelent throughout AD&D, slightly lessened in 3E, and taken out back and slaughtered with the rest of the sacred cows in 4E.

I know that feeling - an intagible nostalgia and almost mythical quality. It comes whenever my DMs guide just falls open at the THAC0 charts!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  06:06:02  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of late I have been looking at B/X, BECM and RC. Ahh old is new again.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  08:49:40  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just haven't learnt the 4th edition rules well enough, and don't know anyone to play with. I occasionally play with a couple of people but its like...every couple of months. Also i'm not the DM and the DM uses his own world.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  13:58:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just haven't learnt the 4th edition rules well enough, and don't know anyone to play with. I occasionally play with a couple of people but its like...every couple of months. Also i'm not the DM and the DM uses his own world.

If your ever in the Pittsburgh area of Pennsylvania, let me knwo and we're run a few games of 4E
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  18:23:07  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played 0D&D and AD&D 1e and 2e. My current campaigns use 2e rules, but I allow some 1e and Hackmaster elements. Primarily classes, I allow old 1e classes like monks, Anti-paladins, or Duelists. From Hackmaster I especially allow spells.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  19:16:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a few years since i have played, but i have always loved the 2nd edition. For me it always felt like a good balance of rules and freedom to have a good time. I don't think i would be able to get on board with 3rd or especially 4th edition.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000