Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Size of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  23:43:11  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's definitely in the northern hemisphere and the sun rises in the East. The location of the equator hasn't been set in stone in any source. Most maps of Toril only go as far south as the Isle of Nimbral (if they even go that far!) but, if we take the map of the world from the 3.0e FRCS and compare it to Ed's original maps (before the lands got compressed in 3rd edition), the equator would roughly bisect Nimbral and run about 500 miles off the south coast of Chult, scraping the southern tip of Rethild and maybe touch upon southernmost Dambrath.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wolfrick
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  23:54:04  Show Profile Send Wolfrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much! I kept searching and adjusted my search terms and also found this: http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/life/land.shtml which indicated things got hotter and more arid farther south, which seemed to indicate the equator was at the south or off the south edge of the map of the Sword Coast.
I'm just getting back into RPG after decades, and I'm new to the Forgotten Realms. So much to read! But I think I'm gonna like it here :D
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2016 :  20:59:49  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you recall the old Forgotten Realms Atlas published ~ 1990 ?

On the introduction pages there is a picture showing in part the curvature of Toril.

Assuming such 1e details are still good, and if you are good with sphere formulas, probably you can calculate the full planet circumference and based on that where the equator might be located.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000