Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Odd Tech Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  22:23:47  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok i dont know where i could post this question and i figured somebody here might know by some off chance so, here goes.

I remmember reading a while back about the progression of technology and how quickly it improves BUT i cant seem to find anything on it. Im working on some stuff for my FR campaign as well as a Sci-fi campaign i want to run. Anyway couldent figure where to put this and i could use the help.

Plus if anyone has any helpful hints on working or making a sci-fi campaign i could use that to thanks.

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  05:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, Gond wants to advance to rennaissance level and beyond, while Oghma is limiting the speed at which things advance. So, using the Realms for advancement might be a little bit difficult. I believe that it has been theorized that the Realms will have an explosive growth of technology if Oghma dies, leaving Gond to his own devices.

Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope this helps.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  05:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been explicitly stated that advanced tech simply doesn't work in the Realms. Period. Gun powder doesn't explode, for instance. You could import a phaser straight from Star Trek and it wouldn't do anything.

I'm not sure if the exact cause of this ban has been ever been stated, but it's bound into the rules of the entire sphere. Which would come as a nasty surprise to any space ship that happened to blunder in.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  06:24:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're following the canon Realms, then this could be a problem.

As the Old Grey Box states:- "The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the rest of the planes, so that gunpowder and many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player-characters. DM’s judgment is advised as to what may be allowed into the world." [DM's Sourcebook of the Realms pg. 9]

Note that it is the rule for the officially published Realms setting. It is a guideline for the individual DM's home Realms campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000