Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you were to invent a deity for the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  03:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the fact that wulfgar hates sorcery due to the fact of his own culture as a barbarian warrior in the north, I could be wrong but I believe the tribal cultures do not like magic. That doesn't mean a follower of Tempus wouldn't like magic. I imagine a few of the War Wizards of Cormyr might utter a prayer or two to the god of war before the enter battle.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  05:18:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herkles

I think the fact that wulfgar hates sorcery due to the fact of his own culture as a barbarian warrior in the north, I could be wrong but I believe the tribal cultures do not like magic. That doesn't mean a follower of Tempus wouldn't like magic. I imagine a few of the War Wizards of Cormyr might utter a prayer or two to the god of war before the enter battle.

Its actually arcane magic they did not care for.

or atleast my taking of it.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  05:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I found out from the Faiths and Pantheons on Tempus on the issue is he doesn't like those that and I qoute from the book, "The smooth-tongued and fleet of feet that avoid all strife and never defend their beliefs wreak more harm than the most energetic tyrant, raider, or horde leader." That is in the last paragraph last sentence on page 71 of his Dogma. So in a nutshell he hates cowards. Doesn't specifically say he likes or dislikes people using specific weapons or combat strategies with ranged weapons or magic. He also doesn't like and I qoute from his dogma, "...restorting to craven tricks as destroying homes, family, or livestock when a foe is away or attacking from the rear (except when such an attack is launched by a small band against foes of vastly superior numbers)." So he doesn't hate magic he just hates the people wielding the magic that are cowardly or dishonorable in their use of it. Same with ranged weapon fighters. Most cowards favor those weapons for they don't want to get hurt (at least that is their hope being at a greater distance). But there are just as many ranged fighters that are courageous and fight honorably, they just favor a ranged weapon over a melee weapon for the tactical benefits.

As for Wulfgar being two-dimensional I think that was mainly the writer's failing not necessarily the concept. Personally, I think it is refreshing some people in Faerun dislike/hate magic. Gets rather bland if everyone is just okay with it because it is useful. Not to mention, one of the most obvious reasons magic is hated is to look at Netheril (past and present) for one. Arrogant, egotistical wizards going around in flying cities enslaving, subduing, or out right killing any that do not bow to their "greatness".

Edited by - Ghost King on 18 Jan 2009 17:59:12
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  05:52:29  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

In The Crystal Shard, Wulfgar is initially portrayed as distrustful, even hateful, of "sorcery."

Ah.

See, The Crystal Shard was written based on the AD&D 1e Unearthed Arcana rules. Under 1e UA, all barbarians detested (arcane) magic and those who use it.

1e UA was also the original reason Drizzt wielded two scimitars ("Dark elves . . . may fight with two weapons without penalty, provided each weapon may be easily wielded in one hand.")
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  07:14:37  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

As for Wulfgar being two-dimensional I think that was mainly the writer's failing not necessarily the concept. Personally, I think it is refreshing some people in Faerun dislike/hate magic. Gets rather bland if everyone is just okay with it because it is useful. Not to point out one the most obvious reasons magic is hated but look at Netheril (past and present) for one. Arrogant, egotistical wizards going around in flying cities enslaving, subduing, or out right killing any that do not bow to their "greatness".

I wasn't trying to say that Wulfgar is two-dimensional. He begins as a stereotype, but grows into a dynamic character-as RAS meant for it to happen. I was more referring to some of my other encounters with magic-distrusting Tempus-worshippers. It seems to be a common stereotype to me, and therefore I call them two-dimensional.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  10:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
I wasn't trying to say that Wulfgar is two-dimensional. He begins as a stereotype, but grows into a dynamic character-as RAS meant for it to happen. I was more referring to some of my other encounters with magic-distrusting Tempus-worshippers. It seems to be a common stereotype to me, and therefore I call them two-dimensional.

My mistake I just figured it was connected. I can see why you would have that stereotype, but my problem with Tempus is that no one plays a worshiper in my campaigns. Don't know why, but that is just how it goes. Tyr, Helm, and Torm seem to be the favored deities for the groups I have played in. Guess they're not pro-war.

Anyways, I think it is a shame Tempus followers get put as the magic-distrusting types, but it has been my experience most people just slap a god on a character sheet they think would appeal to their character and just pay lip service. And usually those characters regardless of what god they follow seem to be two-dimensional. Although, everything has an exception.

Edited by - Ghost King on 18 Jan 2009 18:00:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  15:50:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tempus obviously favors melee combat, but does not have any prohibitions against ranged combat -- save for one minor one. In 2E, his specialty priests could use any bludgeoning weapons, plus one other weapon of their choice. That other weapon could only be a ranged weapon if it was also a melee weapon -- so a spear was fine, but a bow was not. That's the only restriction against ranged combat in either Faiths & Avatars or Faiths & Pantheons. The latter source, in fact, gives Tempus a couple of archery-type feats, including Mounted Archery.

I think the bias Tempus has against spellcasting is only that most spellcasters can't stand on the front lines and get into combat. He favors melee combat, so artillery-types aren't his thing. However, he won't have a real problem with them, so long as they follow his rules on warfare (which are basically, "Stay honorable").

Now, the barbarian bias against arcane magic is a different thing, and I don't think it has anything to do with Tempus at all. Barbarians dig melee combat, so they dig Tempus. However... Wizards, again, don't do melee combat. A wizard looks in a book -- which an illiterate barbarian is never going to do -- waggles his fingers, and then does something like toss a lightning bolt or a fireball. The barbarian, with his axe and shield, can't stand up to that nor can he oppose it.

A barbarian had to learn to swing a weapon, and then he has to get in the enemy's face to use it. That's honorable. Someone standing in the back, commanding strange forces by reading? That person isn't in the front, where you can face them. They are commanding forces that you can't counter with a shield or counter-swing of your axe. And they're doing it by reading, which is being soft, rather than by showing your might by swinging the weapon you practiced hard to learn. Thus, there is no honor in using arcane magic. It is a strange, perhaps even terrifying force.

That's why barbarians don't like arcane magic. It's not a Tempus thing, it's a cultural thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RyldVrinn
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  18:19:25  Show Profile  Visit RyldVrinn's Homepage Send RyldVrinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Please indulge me, I'm trying to get in character for tonight's game)
You have been separated from your companions, whilst travelling the many wonders and dangers of the Middledark. You send off a prayer to Kelemvor for your mortal soul, because the denizens are coming fast, and you have no supplies, no spells, and your lantern is quickly growing dim. You have perhaps another ten minutes before you are plunged into total darkness. In despair, you stick your dagger in the soft dirt of the cave.
"Will anyone help me?" you cry out, as you see the glittering eyes of orcs - or worse - around the corner. You feel a rush of air, and the orcs raise their weapons high, preparing for a charge. You close your eyes - the end is near - as a full squad of orcs charge your position. Something makes them stop dead in their tracks; their cries of fear make you involuntarily look up. The orcs retreat to wherever they came from, dropping weapons in the process, howling like men driven mad. You realize they were looking behind you. Fear makes you whirl around, the dirty dagger your only defense, and before you is a 6 foot tall drow, clad in armor clearly designed for his surface cousins. His red eyes twinkle merrily as he points to your lantern. It suddenly glows with renewed vigor.
"Perisher of a day, eh? Your pals are searching for you. They're about a half mile away, as the bat flies. Ah, they can wait a bell or two. You're starving, scared out of your wits, and a bath wouldn't hurt either. Come, let's talk, you loon-crazy human. My name is Yassail."
There's something...powerful... in his demeanor. But, for reasons you can't understand, you feel comfortable in his presence - as if you were in a tavern with a trusted friend.

Yassail, CG male drow demi power. Son of Eilistraee and Selvetarm. (Needless to say, the circumstances of his birth were quite exceptional, to borrow one of my favorite Ed of the Greenwood quotes.)
Portfolio: Mavericks, rogues, the underdog, adventurers in general.
Domains: Trickery, Drow, Moon, Good. (This is when he first started out. He added Healing and Chaos as he got a little more powerful.)
Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword, and his brothers when the poop really started hitting the fan.
One of these days I'm gonna write up the whole shebang about Ryld, Yassail, and Marshall and put it on my LJ or something.

"Three brothers shall come from the East. Two be of dark skin, one be of light. But watch ye well, for Eilistraee's sons will change the face of Faerun for all time."
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  19:39:27  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

In any time period. Who would they be? Their portfolio and nature? Give a description!

I was going through some old papers when I discovered some notes for a tight drow pantheon. Since there are some new ones, it's relevant to this thread. They are as follows:

Since becoming a greater deity, Lolth's agenda has changed as a consequence of acquiring her own godly realm and obligations.

Drow Pantheon/Quellar Illythiiri

Name (gender) Divine Ranks Role in Quellar Illythiiri Domains {Portfolio}

Lolth (f) G 19 CE "Matron" Chaos, Darkness, Cavern, Spiders, Evil, Drow, Hatred, Tyranny {Shadow Magic, Drow, Spiders, Underdark}

Vhaeraun (m) G 16 CN "Patron" Chaos, Drow, Travel, Trickery, Water, Retribution, Elf {Revenge, Night Above, Nature, Thieves, Fertility, Water}

Kiaransalee (f) I 14, CN "First Daughter" Chaos, Drow, Retribution, Undeath, Knowledge, Repose {Transition, Vengeance, Undeath, Necromancy}

Elistraee (f) I 12 CG "First Daughter (Abdicated)" Chaos, Charm, Drow, Elf, Good, Moon, Portal {Good, Dance, Song, Hunting, Rebellion}

Ghaunadaur (-) I 11 CE "Enemy" Cavern, Chaos, Drow, Evil, Hatred, Slime {Elder Elemental, Evil, Oozes}

Parvil (m) I 11 N "Merchant" Drow, Trade, Artifice, Rune, Craft, Air {Trade, Tailors, Fashion, Promises, Wealth, Communication, Drow Commoners}

Danifae (f) L 8 NE "Priestess" Drow, Evil, Illusion, Liberation, Charm {Sexuality, Determination, Ambition, Passion}

Selvetarm (m) L 7 LE "Weapons Master/First Son" Drow, Evil, Law, War, Family, Fire {Service, Warfare, Fighting, Judication}

Zinzereena (f) L 6 NE "Assassin" Drow, Evil, Trickery, Fate {Subterfuge, Assassination, Poison}

Dyrr (m) L 6 LE "Mage/Second Son" Drow, Law, Evil, Magic, Spell {Magic, Ambition}

Sharvee (f) D5 N "Cook" Drow, Renewal, Healing, Creation {Food, Wine}

Eclavdra (f) D4 CE "Second Daughter" Chaos, Drow, Evil, Earth, Protection {Front doors, Portals, Watchfulness}

Quenthel (f) D3 CE "Third Daughter" Drow, Chaos, Evil, Madness {Rulership, Madness, Fear}

Seyll (f) D2 NG Drow, Good, Luck, Suffering {Sacrifice, Gambling}

Zhinori (m) 0 CE "Warrior/Third Son" {Messages, Sacrifice, Tradition}

Ryld (m) 0 N "Warrior" {Swordsmanship, Friendship upheld}

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  20:00:20  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A non-malicious Trickster. No deity of the Faerūnian pantheon really covers mischief.

I did it, years ago. In my first campaign in the realms (2e). I'was the DM, one of the player's killed Bane (he tried to return toril) and gained the power to become a demigod. He was an halfling thief but became a human god, livin in the divine city of Brightwater.
The only problem was his name, Willy Greenfield...for human he canged in Lywyl :)
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  21:51:28  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Tempus/tribal barbarians hate arcane magic tip: 1) I might agree that Tempus isn't super-duper fond of the average battlemage... an Eldritch Knight-type would probably be OK with him, though. IMHO, the War Wizard-types are more likely to revere the Red Knight, since a battlemage can be seen as a force-multiplier or a strategic asset in modern military terms. 2)As far as 'barbarians' not digging arcane magic, the Rengarth (sp?) barbarians had a predisposition to sorcery, though it did cause a falling out with the Angardt tribes, who feared and hated magic.
As far as new deities, I agree on the need for a Trickster (I am thinking along the lines of Coyote). I don't use Velsharoon, instead preferring Mellifleur. I've also re-made the Seldarine by having them merge with the gods of the Yuir, who never died at all... they were (IMG) waiting for the elves to need them and come back to their worship. Upon re-emerging (which they did concurrent with the re-emergence of the Star Elves), they merged with the Seldarine (some of whom, it is found, were merely aspects of the older gods of the Yuir in the first place). Here's one:

Herne the Hunter/Orome
NG Intermediate Power of Arvandor
Portfolio: Hunting, Archery, Horses, Exploration, Battle, Virility
Domains: Animal, Elf, War, Good, Glory

Known as Herne to the Wood and Wild elves and Orome to Moon and Sun elves, this ancient power is said to have been the one to first befriend the elves after their creation. Thus it was that he taught them archery, woodscraft, and the taming and domestication of animals (namely horses and dogs, leading to the breeding of Moon-Horses and Cu-sidhe). When the time came for the 'gods of the Yuir' to split off from their brethren Herne did not wish to leave the elves with no patron of these necessary arts, and so left an aspect of himself, known to the elves as Solonor Thelandira behind to shepherd his flock.
As worshipped by the Moon and (especially) Sun elven nobility, Orome is a god of hunting for sport, and (due to his patronage of horses and horsemanship) the patron of elven cavaliers. Thus, not only is he venerated by a large number of elven Rangers, but also by many elf knights.
In any case, he is seen as a large elf (his subrace varies dependant upon his viewer) wearing emerald-green armor, and bearing a white-ash spear (or lance), astride a magnificent white stallion (who may or may not be barded similarly to the god himself). What is most striking about the Hunter, however, is the large set of Stag horns growing from his otherwise elven head, which are always metallic- silver or gold.
His return has heralded an unexpected boon: An uptick in the elven birth-rate, and this has expanded his popularity greatly.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 29 Apr 2009 22:01:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  22:35:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

As far as new deities, I agree on the need for a Trickster (I am thinking along the lines of Coyote).

Coyote is my patron saint.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  23:40:05  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

As far as new deities, I agree on the need for a Trickster (I am thinking along the lines of Coyote).

Coyote is my patron saint.

Couldn't agree more.

I haven't fleshed out my Yuir/Seldarine (Seldayuir? Yuirarine?)hybrids... I was trying to use the Tolkienian Valar+ the Seldarine+ 'traditional' fey characters. But blending Earavan with Coyote- hmmmm. Why not?

I never used Coyote in the Realms, for the simple reason that there wasn't a native American analogue to base him in. (I tend to ignore Maztica).

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  23:52:29  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait so that god is the child of Eilistraee and Selvetarm?
Incest much? Or does that not matter with gods haha (Like in Greek mythology...)
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  01:09:19  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm what about a NDA banishing Goddess? she would have a worshiper for sure.

All Hail the Bringer of Forbidden Knowledge!
The Herald of Things to Come!
The Bane of Lawyers

Just Kidding
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  23:18:02  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The god of anti-RSE. Insta-win.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  04:51:56  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before Velsharoon came onto the scene, many years ago during my 2e play I had a god of necromancy.

I have never liked the current name of the god of revenge and retribution, Hoar. It just sounds wrong. I prefere his ancient Untheric name Assuran.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  23:32:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

hmmm what about a NDA banishing Goddess? she would have a worshiper for sure.

All Hail the Bringer of Forbidden Knowledge!
The Herald of Things to Come!
The Bane of Lawyers

Just Kidding

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

The god of anti-RSE. Insta-win.

I agree on both counts, except that I'm not kidding. The NDA-banishing deity would be Azathoth, and the RSE-preventing deity would be Cthulhu (because the emergence of R'lyeh would be the last RSE if Cthulhu were in the Realms). So no, I'm not inventing anything, but I love the idea of Great Old Ones in the Realms, with or without Spellplague.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 21 Aug 2009 23:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  12:33:23  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've completely switched off to the homebrew this year, creating over a hundred new gods, most of them are basically FR gods with some twist, or merged. There is one ''group'' that are similar to the Great Old Ones, hardly influential, restricted to the most obscure cults.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  15:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I would add a neutrally aligned god of dreams, most likely a lesser or demigod who's asleep at the wheel so to speak.

I like this idea! I can sort of see Ulutiu waking up a little bit, taking on the portfolio of dreams, then going back to sleep.

I think I'll steal that idea of Ulutiu as the God of Dreams and Dreamers. I was planning on melting his glacier (at a geological rate) anyway.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  15:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

I always wanted to see a God of revenge or redemption.

Isn't Hoar the god of Revenge? And I'ld say Lathander's renewal and new beginnings could cover the concept of redemption.

NVM I should have realized this ground had already been well trod.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Edited by - Ionik Knight on 05 Sep 2010 16:13:00
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  16:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auzoros

Before Velsharoon came onto the scene, many years ago during my 2e play I had a god of necromancy.

I have never liked the current name of the god of revenge and retribution, Hoar. It just sounds wrong. I prefere his ancient Untheric name Assuran.

I have a plan in the works to replace him with Maahes.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  00:37:10  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

A LG goddess of reason and logic.

I created one like this for my homebrew world. Her name is Aristeya, and she is goddess of reason, order, math, music, and astronomy. A protector of the cosmic order of the multiverse, as it were.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  01:09:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

quote:

I created one like this for my homebrew world. Her name is Aristeya, and she is goddess of reason, order, math, music, and astronomy. A protector of the cosmic order of the multiverse, as it were.

Oooh! Do you have a more detailed write-up for Aristeya, Alystra? I wouldn't mind hearing more about her.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  01:31:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

She sounds suspiciously like my wife!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  02:41:57  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd most likely would create a new god based on my Bhaalspawn. He was a wizard who became a god because it's better to be what you are than to be what you are not. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  03:18:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, funny, RW!! Why, thank you, Sage! I just dug out her write-up, and here it is.

Aristeya: The Stargazer, The Celestial Harpist (She's a shoe-in for a patron of the Harpers!)
LG
Portfolio: Reason, Cosmic Order, Mathematics, Divination, Astronomy, Navigation and Music.
Domains: Craft, Fate, Divination, Law, Good, Numbers
Followers: Lawyers, Bards, Astronomers, Diviners, and Geometers
Symbol: Silver harp in the shape of a moon, beside a single golden star
Favored Weapon: "Singing Star" (shuriken)

Aristeya(ah-rist-a-ya) is a goddess who brings order and understanding to the cosmic plane- whether it is the order of mathematics and law, or the celestial harmony of the heavens, or the pure, beautiful perfection of order in music. She is exacting and stoic, but never demanding or stern, with a love of harmony and knowledge of all kinds. Her followers look to the stars both for understanding of the vast multiverse, and for knowledge of future events through portents in the heavens.

Although Aristeya is Lawful Good, she is less concerned with fighting evil than with bringing order to chaos. However, if good folk or her followers are threatened, she will act to right the situation. Her primary concern is with creating order within the cosmos, and helping mortals to understand that order. She often appears as a beautiful raven-haired woman with sparkling blue or silver eyes playing a harp, or as an old seeress in midnight blue robes that seem to shimmer with starlight.

History/ Relationships: Aristeya is a relatively recent goddess, once a mortal who gained divinity through her wisdom and dedicated service to Brakis(Ohgma). She maintains close ties to him, and it is said that they are occasionally lovers. Aristeya also is allied with Myrnos(Lathander), Sorden(Tyr/Nobanion/Torm), and gods of magic and knowledge. She opposes the gods of chaos and destruction, for these forces disrupt the order of the multiverse that she shepherds.

Dogma: The multiverse is an expression of the order and harmony of all things- there is music in the stars, if only one cares to listen to it. Seek to find the universal order of the cosmos, for only through this can true understanding and enlightenment be achieved. Always share music and knowledge with others, that they may know the beauty and order that is all around them. Oppose those who destroy knowledge or cause chaos, and aid those who are threatened by such forces.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  04:10:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one of the Hooks I wrote for the Candlekeep Compendium, I had a little kid pop up as a Chosen of a previously unknown deity, Graethal Steelsong. Graethal is a deity of cities and of taming the wilderness.

Of course, no one has ever heard of this deity, and the kid's dad is suspicious about the whole thing. The kid is known to have been touched by the gods, but now he seems normal, and he's cast a couple clerical spells. No one is sure what's going on, there...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  05:28:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha, funny, RW!! Why, thank you, Sage! I just dug out her write-up, and here it is.

Aristeya: The Stargazer, The Celestial Harpist (She's a shoe-in for a patron of the Harpers!)
LG
Portfolio: Reason, Cosmic Order, Mathematics, Divination, Astronomy, Navigation and Music.
Domains: Craft, Fate, Divination, Law, Good, Numbers
Followers: Lawyers, Bards, Astronomers, Diviners, and Geometers
Symbol: Silver harp in the shape of a moon, beside a single golden star
Favored Weapon: "Singing Star" (shuriken)

Aristeya(ah-rist-a-ya) is a goddess who brings order and understanding to the cosmic plane- whether it is the order of mathematics and law, or the celestial harmony of the heavens, or the pure, beautiful perfection of order in music. She is exacting and stoic, but never demanding or stern, with a love of harmony and knowledge of all kinds. Her followers look to the stars both for understanding of the vast multiverse, and for knowledge of future events through portents in the heavens.

Although Aristeya is Lawful Good, she is less concerned with fighting evil than with bringing order to chaos. However, if good folk or her followers are threatened, she will act to right the situation. Her primary concern is with creating order within the cosmos, and helping mortals to understand that order. She often appears as a beautiful raven-haired woman with sparkling blue or silver eyes playing a harp, or as an old seeress in midnight blue robes that seem to shimmer with starlight.

History/ Relationships: Aristeya is a relatively recent goddess, once a mortal who gained divinity through her wisdom and dedicated service to Brakis(Ohgma). She maintains close ties to him, and it is said that they are occasionally lovers. Aristeya also is allied with Myrnos(Lathander), Sorden(Tyr/Nobanion/Torm), and gods of magic and knowledge. She opposes the gods of chaos and destruction, for these forces disrupt the order of the multiverse that she shepherds.

Dogma: The multiverse is an expression of the order and harmony of all things- there is music in the stars, if only one cares to listen to it. Seek to find the universal order of the cosmos, for only through this can true understanding and enlightenment be achieved. Always share music and knowledge with others, that they may know the beauty and order that is all around them. Oppose those who destroy knowledge or cause chaos, and aid those who are threatened by such forces.
Very cool.

I'm not sure how just yet, but I'm dropping this in my Realms. Perhaps as an alternate to my own [somewhat jocular] deity of music and art -- Mellifluia.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  00:00:30  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah! Glad to be of help, Sage! Actually, I envisioned her as more of a deity of order and harmony, rather than focusing on music or art. I just thought that music and mathematics would sort of naturally fall into that domain, since both are considered "universal languages". It just made sense to me that a deity who is concerned with those concepts would be interested in music, astronomy, and other "orderly" pursuits. Especially since astronomy is esential to astrology, which is a form of divination. (Thus having divination in her portfolio.)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000