Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you were to invent a deity for the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  07:31:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

@Krashorge - sorry, but the names got to go. I do indeed understand 100% the intent... but that just sounds like an Orcish deity to me. Literary gods should have more... soothing names.

How about Shoskra, or Shosk-Ra?

Krashorge just sounds too much like the Ogre god of blunt instruments.
How about something like Ashosheme? That's got kind of a scholarly/literary vibe to it...

I was just playing around with the name "Krashos Morueme" and thinking that maybe the use of "Krash" shouldn't be so obvious in the god's name. And the "sheme" just feels right to me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  09:45:30  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No I think the realms have hardly any deities. How many Greek or Norse gods are there? Which would be for a comparatively tiny area in relation to the Forgotten Realms world.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  11:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do know that they don't share the same pantheon or culture. Similiar to their being a Dwarven pantheon and an Elven one combined with already the lengthy list of just general FR gods under their pantheon. And if you add Mulhorandi gods the number swells to even a greater amount. And that doesn't even include the numerous other demigods running around that aren't recorded. If you think my idea of a god was absurd, which it is then I suggest you expand your knowledge to less known mythologies of the world. Might surprise you. So ErskineF is right to say you can randomly chuck something anywhere and hit a god of something just about. Hence is the reason why the idea of Polytheism isn't very popular in the world at large anymore. Too overly complex to remember over one-hundred and fifty deities plus that have pretty much zero impact except as some baseless ritual. But since FR gods actually grant powers for doing those rituals it isn't so baseless. But still they should axe them all off. One god, one religion, one nation under Bane! Or Neechee could be a close fight.

Edited by - Ghost King on 10 Jan 2009 11:17:51
Go to Top of Page

IronAngel
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  12:30:48  Show Profile  Visit IronAngel's Homepage Send IronAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perosnally, if I were to create more gods (I'm not sure if I would, for my game), I'd give each Greater Deity a court of lesser deities, from Demipowers to even relatively independent Intermediate Powers. Then again, I'd have to rearrange the whole pantheon a bit to fit this theme. The Realms have enough powerful deities with obscure, competing and almost overlapping portfolios. Instead, powerful deities could very well delegate their duties further. Instead of being directly worshipped as often as they currently are, they'd be the management who gain power from the worship their underlings recieve. Instead of dealing with Chauntea, the owner of a brewery would worship the god of ale and similar beverages, who in turn serves Chauntea. I like the ideas already suggested, the gods of dreams and logic. Others could be the aforementioned god of ale, god of farming, god of livestock and the god of foresting, all serving Chauntea. Oghma would be served by gods of poetry, philosophy, song, science, invention, literature and logic. I am aware that some of those already exist, but such would be his court. The list goes on. I'm not sure all of these patrons should even be called "gods", but instead they would be local or trade-specific demipowers resembling immortal humans. I believe there is a term for such divine heroes somewhere in the deity books, but I'm too lazy to check.

As the heavens are in canon FR, I wouldn't add any deity to their ranks. Only with such a restructuring would I consider it a good idea. I could, however, rearrange some portfolios, give deities more aliases and manifestations, and possibly resurrect old deities while weakening current ones.

Edited by - IronAngel on 10 Jan 2009 12:32:06
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  14:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan
(Minor info in Complete Divine - never heard of her anywhere else.)

More info on Xan Yae? Not sure if I'm reading you right, but apparently there's information on her in the old 1980s Greyhawk sources.

You have not - by any chance - the names of these resources handy? Or an idea whether searching after that info would reveal anything ... let's say substantial?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  16:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Does the Realms really need another god?

You already can't swing a cat without hitting one.

You're right, actually... there are that many. Problem is, they haven't all been officially named yet. Thus, we're not really making more new gods, but rather defining some of the existing ones that no one is familiar with.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  17:52:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You have not - by any chance - the names of these resources handy? Or an idea whether searching after that info would reveal anything ... let's say substantial?

Not sure if it's allowed, but the source is really old (original 1983 World of Greyhawk box), and it's not all that much, so I'll just past it in here -

quote:

Xan Yae

Lesser goddess, N - Mental and Physical Mastery of
Mind over Matter, Twilight. Shadows, Stealth

Xan Yae is one of the rare deities of the Baklunish who has attained a measure of service across the Flanaess. The goddess is sometimes known as "The Perfect Mistress" by those who serve her through the pursuit of martial arts. She is the epitome of grace, speed, and perfection with respect to such discipline.

Xan Yae appears always in human form, but of either sex and of any age. In any guise, she is slender and graceful, but only in her true form is she recognizable as the Lady of Perfection. Xan Yae usually is dressed in cloth of dove gray, dusty rose. or golden orange, regardless of her guise.

While the deity has been known to use all weapons associated with monks, she prefers to wield her pair of magical falchions. These matched blades are no larger than table knives until Xan Yae wills them to grow. They then spring to full sized falchions, each about 3 feet long. Xan Yae employs one tn each hand. The magical properties of these weapons change during combat, so that her right side is more powerful in the beginning but the balance gradually shifts to her left side. Xan Yae also can attack as the "Supreme Mistress of Petals," with her open hands.

In addition to all other abilities, Xan Yae is a powerful psionic.

Non-magical hostile environments do not harm Xan Yae. This includes airlessness, cold, heat, etc. She can travel to any of the Inner Planes, and on the Astral Plane as well, but to go to the Outer Planes, she must use her psionic power.

Those individuals who seek mastery of their mind and body, as well as those who favor twilight, are prone to serve Xan Yae. thus, her followers include monks, thieves, and less savory sorts, as well as young lovers and those of cautious nature.

Clerics of the goddess wear cloaks of gray over sunset-hued robes. Places of worship of Xan Yae are typically in secluded settings. Those found in urban centers will be large, but constructed so as to be unnoticeable as a monastery, temple, or whatever. Services include dance-like exercises, meditation, reading, chanting, and prayer. The light always is shadowy and dim, and breezes tinkle chimes and bells so as to provide background "music."

Hope that helps.

Greyhawk was my 'first love'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2009 17:59:45
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  21:02:19  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

You're right, actually... there are that many. Problem is, they haven't all been officially named yet. Thus, we're not really making more new gods, but rather defining some of the existing ones that no one is familiar with.

Hmm... I think I see what you mean... Each existent or collection of existents in the world represents its own unique idea. Some are more obscure and not as easily graspable by the human mind, while some are very obvious and seem to us to have a universal applicability. Each time we expand our knowledge and identify a new idea, it is elevated to godhood, whether by being subsumed into the portfolio of an existing god, or by becoming a brand new god. As we learn more and more about the world, our gods multiply. In the end, every existent in the Universe, from the smallest atom, to the largest star, and every individual in between, will be recognized as its own divinity.

BUT... having achieved this realization, humanity will suddenly have a Parmenidean epiphany in which we realize that all things are One, and all the multiplicity of divinities are in fact avatars of a single Divine Being.

So you see, in wanting fewer gods, I'm just ahead of the curve.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  21:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just meant that there are more gods in the Realms than have been covered in official products.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  00:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to the Wooly and Sage's both ponting out to me "that was always the case" - I am aware of that. Its just that before, it was odd if you worshipped 'outside your race'. Now (or in the future, depending on how you look at it), anyone is free to worship whoever they want (just as always, but it wouldn't cause most folks to bat an eye).

Just to clarify this a bit, the 4E "core pantheon" more or less does away with the concept of "racial deities" (ie. Corellon created and is associated with the fey, but he's not a "fey god", and it's common for, say, human wizards to worship him, as he is the general god of magic). I think that was what Markus was getting at...

Markus, thanks for posting the Greyhawk information as well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 11 Jan 2009 00:20:27
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  00:46:01  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize there were officially Gods not yet described. :o

Also I meant for this thread to be about ideas for Gods, not "How many Gods should there be?"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  00:54:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I didn't realize there were officially Gods not yet described. :o

Well, there is in the sense that it's reasonable to assume that the sourcebooks don't tell you everything and there is plenty of room for people to make stuff up for their own games.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  03:34:56  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wanted to see a God of revenge or redemption.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  04:53:10  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My game contains, while not a deity in the intentionally limited sense you might find in the Realms, a being of such unreasonable power that it could rival that of deities. In a sense, it's the artificial collection of energies created during the campaign back story.

The creature calls itself Timothy (I wanted something that sounded ridiculous in lieu of how powerful it is), and only possesses powers that common people would think of when they think of a god. That is, it's unreasonably strong, smart, quick, and resilient, but at the same time it's quite mad because there's very little real substance.

It can be killed, but it ignores Mystra's rules of magic so it can instantly create time loops and switch places with other beings. Once, I've had one of my players tear into it only to find that the body on the floor belongs to a PC of a player who no longer plays.

Timothy was accidentally created by a survivor of Netheril, one of the few who continued using the magic taught by the Eaerlann elves. After Karsus' failed attempt at divinity, this scholar tried to collect as much knowledge about the new rules of magic as he could, but, being human, had too little time to do it. Rather than pursue immortality, he tried to take a shortcut to knowledge, the result being an artifact that was the very epitome of knowledge. It was a mask that, when worn, essentially allowed the wearer to know everything. Since the scholar was a mortal, it was a bit of a maddening experience, and he became addicted to it.

He used the knowledge to create twelve other masks, each one being an aspect of divinity. When worn, the mask gives the wearer deity-level capability in that field. Again, the word "deity" applies more to an "Ao-like" deity, rather than a general one.

When a mask is not being worn, however, it's essence is displaced. At the current time in-game, only one of the masks is being "worn", so the other twelve's energies have coalesced into one spot, creating Timothy. I have this overarching plot lined up where, once the masks themselves are found and donned, Timothy will being to lose parts of itself and fall further into madness.

As far as personality, Timothy's a complete nutcase. It actually serves as a bit of comic relief in a morbid sense. For instance, the players were able to distract Tim with a battalion of city guards, who charged it with spears drawn. It disappeared under the stampede, only to appear next to a player and point out that the guards "will be irate, since they just killed their own captain," demonstrating its time and space manipulation. When the players were held up in a safehouse guarded by a dimensional anchor (which held Tim at bay), it tried to coax them out by launching other buildings at them. They were in Blackalblade, but a chunk of manse from Calimport crashed through one side of the house, and Tim was preparing to find a tower to throw at them, claiming that it would be "just like throwing darts." It even skipped the clock face of London's Big Ben in the party's direction.

In a sense, I like unreasonably powerful, off-their-rocker villains. Tim's definitely not the main villain of the game, since it's not exactly fightable, but it's a propelling force, since pursuing the story will weaken it overall.

All the best

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  04:54:00  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Hoar has revenge, although, personally, I believe Shar is a natural for that portfolio.

I think there are also demi-human deities with revenge... Kiaransalee, Shevrash... I thought there was a dwarven one too, but I can't find him.

Redemption... that's an interesting one. It seems like a natural for Torm, or maybe Tyr.

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  05:32:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hoar has revenge, although, personally, I believe Shar is a natural for that portfolio.
And Eshowdow, of the Chultan pantheon.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  11:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not sure if it's allowed, but the source is really old (original 1983 World of Greyhawk box), and it's not all that much, so I'll just past it in here -

Hope that helps.

Greyhawk was my 'first love'.

I does help very much indeed. Reading that, I could fall in love with her instantly. Some goddess that wouldn't go amiss within Realmspace.

Thanks a lot!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  22:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Redemption... that's an interesting one. It seems like a natural for Torm, or maybe Tyr.

I actually think Eilistraee is the best fit for that concept (redemption in general, not just for drow).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  00:01:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I actually think Eilistraee is the best fit for that concept (redemption in general, not just for drow).

Honestly, I think Lathander is the best choice for redemption... Because redemption is a rebirth and a new beginning, and that's totally his gig.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  00:21:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Honestly, I think Lathander is the best choice for redemption... Because redemption is a rebirth and a new beginning, and that's totally his gig.
Agreed.

Though, I also think Finder Wyvernspur could be a contender... if only because of the whole "cycle of life" philosophy that's part of his portfolio. And redemption would be an important part of that cycle -- of "rot" [being corrupted by thoughts of revenge] to "rebirth" [and embracing the concept of redemption].

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  01:11:17  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about this earlier today, and it occurred to me that it might not make sense, in terms of the Realms, to have a general god of redemption. If one sins against Torm, then to be redeemed in Torm's eyes, one must do penance according to the dictates of his priests. Having a god of redemption suggests that there is a generalized concept of sin independent of any particular god. How could that be? To be sinful, an act must fall under the purview of some god, or else it is not a sin. If it falls within a god's concerns, then redemption must be sought through him. Right? Could a god of redemption forgive a sin against Lathander? And Chauntea? And Bane? And Shar...?

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  01:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Redemption for things that many gods recognize as sins, maybe? And Torm could be the god more willing to accept those seeking redemption... perhaps his church might even take those that seem less likely to be genuine in their desire for redemption in hope that they could somehow truly convert them?

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  01:48:04  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Redemption for things that many gods recognize as sins, maybe?

I don't think you could take an average across the pantheon without emptying the concept. I asked myself what Torm and Bane could both consider sinful, and the only answer I could come up with was disobedience. But disobedience to whom? It would not be a sin in Torm's eyes to disobey a priest of Bane, nor vice versa.

quote:
And Torm could be the god more willing to accept those seeking redemption... perhaps his church might even take those that seem less likely to be genuine in their desire for redemption in hope that they could somehow truly convert them?

I thought of Torm first because one of the goals of punishment is often the redemption of the criminal through penance. I think Torm would have redemption as one of his concerns, but again, I don't think he would be unique in that. All gods would be concerned with the redemption of those followers who fell short in some way.

--
Erskine Fincher

Edited by - ErskineF on 12 Jan 2009 01:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  14:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, Krash and I discussed this over on the Wizards boards early last year. Here's a little of that discussion, from George himself:-

"The sources state that Cormyr is the first human kingdom north of the Lake of Dragons, with Marsember being the first permanent settlement in those parts being founded in -74 DR, a century before Cormyr is founded as a kingdom proper.

The scant information we have on Orva is found in the adventure "Four From Cormyr" (p.75). This information does not tell us whether Orva was a human kingdom or something else. For continuity's sake and given what we know of the far greater extent of forests in and around the present day Inner Sea lands, it is likely that Orva was an elven satellite kingdom, similar to the realm of Iliphar Nelnueve which was founded in -205 DR. The fact that the elven deity Labelas was worshipped there is likely proof enough of this but by far the best material to suport this contention is the "The Cormyrean Marshes" booklet (p.32) from the "Elminster's Ecologies" boxed set. This talks extensively about ancient elven-looking ruins in the Vast Swamp.

The reference in "Four From Cormyr" talks about Orva having existed "two millenia ago" (i.e. c. -630 to -650 DR or so). This predates Iliphar's kingdom by several centuries. I note that the Vast Swamp borders the Hullack Forest. Within the Hullack Forest is Elfhold which is detailed in "Faiths & Pantheons". The Elfhold is linked with Iliphar and his house, Amaratharr.

My thoughts are that Orva existed from around the -600s DR for a couple of centuries. House Amaratharr was a part of that realm until the king (likely a "laranlor" in elvish which means a monarch of a realm not powerful enough to consider labelling himself a "coronal") exhibited the tyrannical traits and 'delusions of empire' that led to the realm's demise. They likely fled back to Cormanthyr and told the coronal at the time, Tannivh Irithyl, what was going on. Before the elves could react, Orva became a hell-blasted ruin. The High Mages sent to bring this vassal realm to heel undertook the clean up work to seal the gate/portal between the region and the Nine Hells and to do what they could to ward the sourrounding lands from the evils that were created in the cataclysm.

As a reward for their loyalty, House Amaratharr and Iliphar were eventually granted the woodlands of Lythtlorn (the elven name for the Wolf Woods or what is now Cormyr - see Dragon#276, p.79).

Which brings us back to the Thunder Peaks. Before Cormyr, the whole region would have nominally been claimed by the elves of Cormanthyr and their satellite vassal kingdoms such as Orva and Arnothoi (see FRCS [2E]: A Grand Tour of the Realms, p.58 and a recent reference in Paul Kemp's short story in 'Realms of War'). In truth however the Thunder Peaks has always been dragon country. It's a running joke among a few of us FR fans and scholars that there are more dragons per square mile in the Thunder Peaks than anywhere else in the Realms.

By far the most formidable is the dracolich Aurgloaroasa "the Sibilant Shade" (see "Dragons of Faerūn" and the older 2E "Cult of the Dragon" sourcebooks) but there have been a host of others, mostly red. A possible reason they all clustered in the Thunder Peaks is that they were driven off or feared the mighty dragon Thauglor, suzerain of the lands of Cormyr and beyond until his defeat by Iliphar in -205 DR.

So in conclusion, the answer is Cormanthyr or one of its satellite, vassal elven realms depending on what historical period you refer to, but it would definitely be a situation of "claiming" rather than actually having a presence there and "ruling"."

Hmmm... I think there are a couple of problems with this explanation. First of all, I seem to recall that the portal to Minauros (at least according to 'Elminster's Ecologies) is still open, which means that the Vast Swamp slowly expands year after year (and why its flora and fauna are described as "abyssal" versions of common plants and animals). Secondly, I feel the time frame between -400 DR and -205 DR is pretty short for Thauglor to have gained such a strong hold over the whole land -- not to mention that it had apparently mated with a lot of dragons and had dozens of offspring (some of them his "grandchildren" -- according to 'Cormyr: A Novel'). Thirdly, I think the ruins are described in 'Four from Cormyr' as belonging to an unknown, lost human culture -- not elven? And furthermore, why would elves worship a deity of their own, ancient pantheon under a different name, i.e. Karonis/Chronos? (even the statue is human-featured in the picture). And, I think the map in GHoTR shows the Vast Swamp existing already in -600 DR, which means that if it was human kingdom, it couldn't have been Netherese in origin.

Yet there *are* elven ruins in the Vast Swamp, as Ed (when I asked him) said that he cannot reveal anything about them as the players are exploring them in the "Home Realms" campaign.

I personally believe that there was ancient elven kingdom where Vast Swamp now it, dating back further than -600 DR. Perhaps refugees from Thaeraevel of the Alabaster Towers explored the ruins, and founded their own kingdom there (even adopting the worship of Labelas Enoreth under a different name). When Orva became the "hell-blasted" ruin, Thauglor's reign began. I don't know -- it makes sense to me, and I'm using this "version" of Cormyr's history in my campaigns.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  14:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Krashorge just sounds too much like the Ogre god of blunt instruments.

A *beardless* Ogre God of Blunt Instruments!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  15:41:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

True, Lathander makes sense for the concept as well.

quote:

I was thinking about this earlier today, and it occurred to me that it might not make sense, in terms of the Realms, to have a general god of redemption. If one sins against Torm, then to be redeemed in Torm's eyes, one must do penance according to the dictates of his priests. Having a god of redemption suggests that there is a generalized concept of sin independent of any particular god. How could that be? To be sinful, an act must fall under the purview of some god, or else it is not a sin. If it falls within a god's concerns, then redemption must be sought through him. Right? Could a god of redemption forgive a sin against Lathander? And Chauntea? And Bane? And Shar...?

Well, I see "redemption" the concept as a non-religious thing myself--it could involve a desire not to "sin", but it could also just mean one desires to stop doing evil and/or be a better person.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Jan 2009 15:44:18
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  16:24:33  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for redemption I use Sarenrae from Pathfinder, she's similar to Lathander, she's a member of the Calishite pantheon (Keleshite in Golarion)

I invented one homebrew demigod, it has no name, it's a god of anomalies (CN), followers this philosophy believe that this existence is a prison, and they research rare events and places where the system fails and very weird things happen
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  16:26:53  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what about Tyr? wouldn't redemption be a logical consequence of his portfolio of justice

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  16:45:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

what about Tyr? wouldn't redemption be a logical consequence of his portfolio of justice

Why? What has redemption to do with justice? Someone seeking redemption could be leaving a past of being overly zealous about seeking justice... Or they could be redeeming themselves from being too prideful and not paying enough attention to family... Redemption is about rebirth and new beginnings, and it's not necessarily a consequence of doing anything illegal, immoral, and/or sinful.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  18:08:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Redemption could follow from the carrying out of justice, but it often doesn't. It's not uncommon for a criminal to go back to their criminal ways after being punished and released.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000