Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Characters in multiple books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

storrs19
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  12:15:34  Show Profile  Visit storrs19's Homepage Send storrs19 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a database somewhere that one could cross reference which characters appear in different books? An example is that several of the characters from The Cleric Quintet show up in other novels by Bob Salvatore. I like how they pop up in other books as it kind of gives perspective that they have lives outside of the novels that were chiefly about them. Having read over 75 FR novels I lose track of who appears in what.

Chad

Fantasy Reader for 25 years and counting!

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  12:30:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know of one off hand, but if there is one word will come to you here.

And if you like the Cleric Quintet and Bo's other characters, most will be united in some way in The Ghost King, book 3 of Bob's Transitions.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  14:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be quite interested to know all the books Manshoon and Fzoul make personal appearances in.
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  14:56:22  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt there's a definitive list, but this link may help you a little. http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1062902 It's not complete and doesn't have Manshoon or Fzoul in it, but it may help. What you can do is go to Amazon.com and simply type in the name of the character you're looking for. A lot of realms books (unfortunately not all of them, so it's not perfect) have been scanned into Amazon which now has the "Search Inside" feature. This allows you to look for specific character names in books and actually view the excerpts to determine whether the character is actually in the book or just mentioned. Sometimes you need to add the word "realms" to your original search though. For instance, if I search for "Feena" a ton of books come up. However, if I search for "Feena realms" Black Wolf and Mistress of the Night come up. As I said, not perfect, but it's worked quite a bit for me.

One last option, go to the Candlekeep homepage and take a look at "What's New." Find: "3) Updated A Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms" and download the guide that's been created by Jason Chambers. He's done a great job putting together a list of realms novels and short stories including the main characters of those stories. It's been a great help to me.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  14:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

I would be quite interested to know all the books Manshoon and Fzoul make personal appearances in.

Not very many... Other than the big movers-and-shakers, most authors keep their hands off of other people's characters.

I think Manshoon appears mostly in Spellfire. It's been a long time, but I don't remember if he's in the other books of that series all that much, and I don't recall him being in any others. Fzoul turns up in the book Shadowdale, and I think maybe in Tantras, but he wasn't a major character in either. He was also a bit character in the last book of the Last Mythal trilogy. I seem to recall his most prominent role being in Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad.

After Bane's death, Fzoul became a cleric of Cyric. I've often wondered about that relationship -- just a few months before that happened, the then-mortal Cyric nearly killed Fzoul with an arrow! That's got to make for a weird servant/master dynamic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  15:11:20  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI: Just searched both Fzoul and Manshoon at Amazon and both pulled up a number of Realms books. If you click on Crown of Fire, for example, and search for Fzoul inside the book his name appears in the book 59 times and you can view all 59 excerpts. You can probably figure it out on your own, but if you need help navigating the "Search Inside" feature let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  15:59:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Manshoon shows up in Blackstaff, along with some other notable personages.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 28 Oct 2008 16:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  16:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

And if you like the Cleric Quintet and Bo's other characters, most will be united in some way in The Ghost King, book 3 of Bob's Transitions.

Where did this bit of breaking news come from?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  18:09:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
manshoon also appears quite a bit in shadows of doom.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  22:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I believe Manshoon shows up in Blackstaff, along with some other notable personages.

Manshoon in Blackstaff? Not that I can recall.

He does appear in one (if not both) of the currently released novels in Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor series.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Oct 2008 22:56:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  22:57:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Sememmon instead?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  00:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

manshoon also appears quite a bit in shadows of doom.

I've almost finished reading this book, which is what made me think I've hardly read any novels with him in before. I read Spellfire decades ago and can't remember anything about it.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  01:21:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Sememmon instead?

I'm not so sure... I could've sworn I read a bit about him in it.

Then again, it has been a while and my mind's not what it used to be.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

storrs19
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  13:42:58  Show Profile  Visit storrs19's Homepage Send storrs19 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did enjoy The Cleric Quintet very much and have just started The Pirate King a few days ago. That would be interesting to see some of the characters wind up in The Ghost King. Either way TCQ is in my top 3 series of novels in the FR setting, for sure. I just really enjoyed the characters in it very much.

Fantasy Reader for 25 years and counting!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  00:32:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Where did this bit of breaking news come from?

Got it at GenCon 08 in the Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar, right from Rich Baker.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  01:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

After Bane's death, Fzoul became a cleric of Cyric. I've often wondered about that relationship -- just a few months before that happened, the then-mortal Cyric nearly killed Fzoul with an arrow! That's got to make for a weird servant/master dynamic.

Aye, 'twas a strange relationship indeed. Fzoul despised and feared Cyric and for his part, the Prince of Lies cherished the unwilling servitude of Fzoul. I got the impression that one of the most personally fulfilling, if not strategically important, parts of Cyric's scheme with the Cyrinshad, was the ultimate subjugation of Fzoul's will to his worship.

On a very personal level, I believe that would have served to vindicate Cyric to the long buried remnants of his original self-doubting character. If Fzoul could worship him honestly, instead of reluctantly, Cyric could truly feel worthy of the same worhip as mighty Bane, instead of having to endlessly compensate for something he's not willing to admit to himself.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000