Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Essences of Fallen Gods and Bhaalspawn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  17:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all, I'm trying to get something clarified and possibly create a new FR template in the process, help me out?

According to Deities and DemiGods, the child of a power and a mortal usually becomes a quasi-deity (Divine rank 0), Although you also have the asimar template that's descended from say a seraphim or something similar (do they count as powers or just aids to powers?)
I've also seen examples someplace for third edition that list the offspring as only being slightly augmented.
About the bhaalspawn and the fallen gods during the time of troubles though; Does anyone have the template reference for the Time of Troubles module concerning the falen deities?
One thing I'm relatively certain of is that Bhaal was supposed to have fathered all these kids after Ao kicked him out of the planes, so that makes them all one way or another mortal. In the baldur's gate games the main character gained a spell like ability every time they had one of those dreams, which was dependent on their alignment at the time.
I was thinking of setting it up so that the character in question got a bonus feat per so many levels selected from a list based on alignment by die roll, and have spell like abilities list for alignment the same way per so many levels.
What do you think and any ideas?

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  22:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

According to Deities and DemiGods, the child of a power and a mortal usually becomes a quasi-deity (Divine rank 0), Although you also have the asimar template that's descended from say a seraphim or something similar (do they count as powers or just aids to powers?)
I've also seen examples someplace for third edition that list the offspring as only being slightly augmented.

Well, I think it really depends on what the author (which includes the DM) wants. Just like with the Real World, children often take after one parent rather than the other. Or it could also depend on how much the divine parent wants to give. Or both.

And a Seraph (Seraphim is the plural) is an angel of God. In the Judeo-Christian tradition, Seraphim are the highest ranked angels there are. They are described in the Book of Isiah as the attendant spirits in constant adoration at the throne of God. They're supposed to look human, except that they have three pairs of wings.

They're not considered divine. After all, an angel isn't God.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  10:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few clarifications then a thought to help you out. One is that technically the gods during the Times of Trouble were not avatars in the purest game sense of the word. They were actually possessed mortals. So though any offspring they might have could possess special qualities they would not in fact be Quasi-divine. Take a look at the Seven Sisters and that should help you alittle. Remove their Chosen abilities and they are just unique NPCs. So what I would say you are looking for is quite similar to the various Chosen templates. Also as too template reference for the Time of Troubles module concerning the fallen deities, I would just use the Possess Mortal Divine Salient Ability. Oh, assimar are not templtes but a race in their own right.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.

Edited by - Acaus Bellum on 19 Jul 2003 10:45:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:25:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For an excellent and informative description of the Aasimar and other related aspects of this celestial race, consult the 2e Planescape Monstrous Compendium Vol. 1.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Acaus Bellum

A few clarifications then a thought to help you out. One is that technically the gods during the Times of Trouble were not avatars in the purest game sense of the word. They were actually possessed mortals. So though any offspring they might have could possess special qualities they would not in fact be Quasi-divine. Take a look at the Seven Sisters and that should help you alittle. Remove their Chosen abilities and they are just unique NPCs. So what I would say you are looking for is quite similar to the various Chosen templates. Also as too template reference for the Time of Troubles module concerning the fallen deities, I would just use the Possess Mortal Divine Salient Ability. Oh, assimar are not templtes but a race in their own right.

Slapping himself on the Head Malanthius starts to mutter "Of Course! The Possess Mortal Divine Salient Ability; i should have remembered that! That makes perfect sense for the avatars during the time of troubles! Yes, yes, this might work..."
Anyway, thanks Acaus, you've really given me some serious things to think about, hmmm, will post the template when i've got it worked out...

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  21:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, finally got some time to work on all my little projects i've been promising, and (unbelievably!) a computer to send them off from !

Bhaalspawn
Hit Dice: As base creature*
Speed: As base creature*
AC: As Base creature +4
Attacks: As base creature *
Damage: As base creature *
Special Attacks:*

Special Qualities:
Timeless Body: A child of Bhaal doesn't suffer penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Bonuses still accrue however.
*Blood of Bhaal
Every five levels(reguardless of class gained in -ie wiz2/ran3-) Or whenever creature kills another Bhaalspawn, creature makes a 1d4 roll to decide upon a special quality,
1 Divine spell Like ability (once per day)
2 Arcane spell like ability (once per day)
3 +1 Inherent ability bonus (players selection)
4 General special quality

Divine spell like ability roll (1d10)

1 Cause Fear
2 Protection from alignment
3 etc
(DM's choice from low level cleric domains to 10

Arcane spell like ability roll (1d10)
1 magic missile
2 mage armor
3 silent image
(DM's choice from low level arcane/bard spells to 10

Special qualities
1d10 roll
Pick any ten special qualies (ie regeneration, immunity, etc) list in any order you choose.

I think that's everything, what do you think?

Mal.

Edited by - Malanthius on 24 Jul 2003 22:00:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  03:48:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All in all it looks good, but I forsee maybe one or two potential problems. However I want to look over the template construction rules before I comment further. I'll see about posting again tonight.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000