Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Player's background
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  09:52:05  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Questions to the DMs:
"how far do you use your players' background?"
"have you ever changed one of your player's background just to fit your ideas?" I mean, for example that i changed all of the Eilinel's background. I made it just like Alias' one, everything is made, so false...

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  11:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure Mumadar does, at least so that he can work in things to challenge the characters' personalities as much as their abilities.

In my case, I gave him some things to exploit outright. My character is nervous around crawling things (spiders and insects), and terrified of being blind or deaf. He tries to hide that, since others have used that against him. He's a strange person, very logical, yet very emotional. (I guess that it's a way of keeping to his chaotic alignment.)

He's also given to impulsiveness when presented with certain situations. For one, he will have a hard time just letting an evil act occur where he can do something about it. For another, he will take every opportunity to shove inflict er, I mean, help others learn. He can't understand it that not everyone likes learning for its own sake.

I don't know what Mumadar's going to do with that, but I think it should be rife with opportunities. Especially with blindness/deafness being a common-ish spell and the fact that they're in a forrested area (lots of bugs -- it would disrupt concentration checks, I'd think).

Another suggestion I made to him early on is to present a puzzle that could only be solved by my character (a 3rd-level wizard) casting spider climb, which requires the caster to eat a live spider. Since my character doesn't have the Eschew Materials feat, that would be very difficult for him.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 10 Jul 2003 14:45:26
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  13:08:30  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't speak of the ways to spice up a character. Those kind of fears and way of thinking are, IMHO, necessary to roleplay well a PC.
I speak about the past of your character, family, what he did, friends, guilds, and such things
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  15:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Well, my character went to the college of magic in Silverymoon (this was per Mumadar's suggestion; I was originally going to do a standard apprenticeship). While he was there, he made a few enemies of the other students; all of them were elven 'purebloods' -- my character is a half-elf. In particular was a gold elf who got him expelled on trumped-up charges. This guy also used his considerable influence to make sure that my character couldn't get a job in the city.

This was originally put in to explain why my character has recently arived in Olostin's Hold, where he has met up with Artalis' and Kitira's characters (a human sorcerer/wizard and a half-elven ranger, respectively). However, I suppose that Mumadar could use that influence to make more trouble for the party. My character could even run into a student enemy out on an official mission, who would lord it over him that he had shown himself to be useful, whereas my character, being a half-blood, showed his inferiority.

Another thing is that my character's father was a famous bladesinger, and a not-so-secret Harper. His short affair with a human barmaid was a scandal, especially as he never married. (His family would never allow him to marry a human, so he never married at all. His personal wealth supported my character and his mother both during his life and after he died on a mission, and still does. He was the reason that my character could afford the best magical schooling. He had hoped that his son might also become a bladesinger, but left him to follow his own path.

So the 'purebloods' aren't the only ones who hate him. His elven family does too. They had had several possible marriage aliances lined up, but because of him and his mother, they never came through.

As well, my character's elven great-aunt is close to the end of her life, and she is the bearer of a moonblade; unless another heir can be produced in time, my character will inherit it. The family, generally inclined to believe the worst about him and his mother, don't believe him when he says he doesn't want it. He doesn't think himself pure enough to live after drawing the blade.

I don't know if Mumadar will use the moonblade part. I just put it in because I thought it would be the best thing to drive a wedge between my character and his elven family. As for the animosity . . . maybe.

That the sort of thing you were looking for?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I incorporate my players backgrounds into the story of the campaign as often as I can. It makes for better participation when you have a character that has a personal stake in the outcome. Some of them can be very easy to use, while others can take some real thought on how to include it in the story and have it make sense. I try to get as deep with them as possible.

I usually frown on changing backgrounds after they've been established, because once they're set, they should stay set. Changing them to accomodate an idea the GM has just come up with shows laziness on the GM's part, IMO.

I have changed my players backgrounds during the 'rough draft', though. Both times the player just didn't get the idea of how to play a certain race (newbie), or what he wrote of his background was totally contradictory to how he wanted to play the PC.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:03:06  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also always check the backgrounds of my players. I don't want to have all the royal children in the same group.
For example my girl friend who is a newbie wanted to be the daughter of a powerful elven King and to be married to a half dragon half elf... I couldn't permit that without some drawbacks.
So she is the daughter of a powerful king, but she escaped from her family because she couldn't stand to stay at the same place and wanted to see the world (yes i know it's a strange attitude for an elf) and her husband is actually occupied in a other quest, so he can't help her right now.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unusual sort of character. How did the royal family take her marrying a half-dragon? Or is she not really close to the line of succession, and so it doesn't really matter?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:31:44  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She married after she left her family. So that's why it'll be harder to ask for help. For the king, she isn't his daughter anymore
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  15:36:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, one of those fathers . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  10:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always give guide lines for character background ie. everyone must be an outcast or I've even made everyone be related. They can still have fun but it gives me a place to work from.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:32:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Everyone related'...That sounds interesting. Maybe something along the lines of a family of adventurers - mother, father, two sons and a daughter, or some other combination. Or maybe distant relations, like an grandfather, and grandson or some such.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  06:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my case they were all siblings it made it where the players could discuss everything one of them might do to help the others because I reasoned that they knew each other better than anybody. Its also meant they all stuck together.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  06:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now there's an interesting idea. What was the party makeup, in classes and alignments?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  07:16:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And levels as well .

Also, what about personal issues that sometimes involve related groups, like sibling rivalry for example?. Or something more akin to the Raistlin/Caramon situation?.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Jul 2003 07:16:57
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  16:14:51  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The human sorcerer/wizard that Bookwyrm mentioned, Tarim Ravenmane, has the most detailed background of any character I have ever made.

Not only is his background fairly well documented but his father, mother and grandfather are pretty well described.

Going back a about 30+ generations a few of his ancestors were also detailed. This was a lot of work to produce and when I thought the game had died I was quite irritated.

Now (hopefully) the game is going to start back up and all the hard work that has gone into the character will not be wasted (again hopefully).

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know how you feel. Kevin might not have had quite as much work as Tarim, but I'd hardly been able to do anything yet . . . .

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  07:42:56  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I described once the family of one of my character. Grand parents, Parents, Uncles, Aunts, Brothers, Sisters. But i let their histories blank for the DM to work on.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  07:48:03  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would seem that being an elf character has its dangers. I mean imagine trying to think up a history for a couple of millenia of family members.

Much better to have a character who was orphaned at a few months old, lived out 25 years somewhere, and had his/her memory reased by an anonymous wizard, who subsequently died in anonymity allowing no chance of discovering who he was or why he did it...

much simpler i think

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  08:29:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really like that idea. But then, I am the type of DM who likes to weave long and interesting histories for each character or NPC I create. I normally draw upon, not only my imagination, but other sources for inspiration, especially in the case of elven characters.

I once had in a campaign, a recently dead High Elf lord whose family history could be traced back as far as before the founding of the Standing Stone, and that was just written family history, the relatives and numerous other sources record periods of the familys' history long before that period as well. Now granted it took several days of work to craft that history, but it is definitely worth the effort, as that history is something that you can utilise again and again in your campaigns, even building upon it to take it into other directions. In fact that elven family's history has become so wide spread that it is actually a part of my FR campaigns actual history I use when I craft other adventures.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  08:42:00  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

It would seem that being an elf character has its dangers. I mean imagine trying to think up a history for a couple of millenia of family members.

Much better to have a character who was orphaned at a few months old, lived out 25 years somewhere, and had his/her memory reased by an anonymous wizard, who subsequently died in anonymity allowing no chance of discovering who he was or why he did it...

much simpler i think

But much more dangerous. With that your DM can do anything. And if he is a little like me he won't miss the opportunity to let his imagination runs (eng?)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The phrase you're looking for is "let my imagination run wild." (English has so many . . . expressive expressions, n'est-ce pas?)

And yes . . . if I were a DM, I think I'd take it out on such a lazy player. I mean, even a lame background is better than "Oh, he's got amnesia." Far better to say something like how he's from this really boring village, had a really boring life, and wants a change.

Of course, from a DM's view, it could be fun. Throw some assasins at him, along with a couple thieves' guilds, a handful of irrate husbands/brothers/lovers, oh and don't forget how the local law enforcers have orders to kill on sight . . . oo, that would be fun to do.

*ahem* Ah, all in the interest of story-telling, of course.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:17:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you watched "The Bourne Identity"? That's the kind of adventure i like. I did the same kind of challenges to one of my pc. He was attacked by the Eldreth Velutraa but he had no idea why. Of course when they attacked they said to him, give us the artifact you possess and your our forces, like your father did... And the player had no idea what they were talking about, and when he asked questions, the Eldreth Velutraa thought that he was trying to get more time or to foul them... Nice situation isn't it?!
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  11:24:03  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all good points, i forgot that DM's can be BOFHs....

hmm, good point though. What i was saying though, was tongue in cheeck, there is no point in playing D&D if you aren't going to put the time in...

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  13:26:30  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

BOFHs

What does that mean?
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  08:24:27  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BOFH is an internet techie acronym standing for people like Alaundo (not that he is one i might add ) and similar people. IE moderators on internet sites. They have all the power and in most cases dont care a damn for anyone - thats the short version, and lucky for us, we have none here

BOFH - prnounced BOFF - stands for 'Bastard Operator From Hell'

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  08:27:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well..., there was nothing subtle about that explanation now was there? .

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  08:45:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But i'm sure players like when DMs are BOFHs. After all, you must have a little of Hell to be a DM. An Angel as a DM would be a bore! To create Wars, Death, Villains,... you have to think evil
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:10:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't that though really all dependent upon the campaign setting you are playing in. I mean for example, a party playing in the Ravenloft, or Gamma World, or even Planescape setting really wouldn't have to have an 'evil' (BOFH) as a DM, in order to create 'Wars, Death, Villains', as you say. These themes already run pretty heavily in the background of those settings anyway, so it takes little work to actually utilise these themes. Whereas, the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance settings would probably need a DM like this if these types of themes were to be used in a campaign.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:18:29  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think so. IMO Ravenloft is harder to DM than FR. A lot is based on the ambiance of the game. You need to make your player fear for their lives without discouraging (eng?) them. It's a little bit like Cthulhu. But maybe i find the Realms easier because i know a lot about it...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:27:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point, but I really don't consider Ravenloft anymore difficult to DM, than say Gamma World, or Planescape. For me the Realms has always been easy, every since the fantastic introduction guide to DMing in the Realms that was released with the first FR boxed set in 1987.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:58:41  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know how being a DM works as I've never had the opportunity to see, but i can say this:

Having a BOFH DM could be good, as it would create a feeling of the other players versus the DM, and the quickest way, as everyone knows, to make a friend is to have a common enemy. Frank Herbert said it best, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'

That being said, about the subtlety, it was not meant to offend anyone and i sincerely hope it did not. It was not aimed at anyone here, it is a strictly techie term referring mainly to script kiddies hiding behind their anonymity and their parents' fortunes and causing hell in other people's lives simply because they can.

Noone on this board is a BOFH, and i would never intentionally call anyone here that...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000