Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate is Mexico City
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here's another reason I like the the Realms in general and the 4E Realms in particular. The freedom from any anxiety of influence.

I've had one of those Dirk Gently kinds of experiences recently where seemingly disparate things start interconnecting in interesting ways. Well, interesting to me, anyway.

Three things I've read fairly recently are the FRCG, Patrice Louinet's introduction to the first Conan volume in Ballantine/Del Rey's fantastic Illustrated Robert E. Howard Library, and some of the cronicas in The Mexico City Reader.

You can probably hear the conversation these texts entered into most easily if I just pull out some quotes.

From Louinet's essay:

quote:
"The creation of a self-coherent universe was the perfect solution to Howard's needs and aspirations. His decision to people his Hyborian Age with Cimmerians, Vanirs, Nemedians and Afghulis, thinly-disguised names borrowed from history or legendry, was never really understood. Years later, Lovecraft would take Howard to task for this: "the only flaw in this stuff is R.E.H.'s incurable tendency to devise names too closely resembling actual names—names which, for us, have a very different set of associations…" [But Lovecraft failed to understand that by] carefully choosing names that resembled those found in our history and legendry, Howard wanted to ensure that no reader would be left wondering what a Turanian looked like, or be unaware that his Vanir and Æsir lived in the north parts of the world. By telescoping history and geography to create a universe that was new and yet familiar, Howard was deliberately striving for efficacy and stereotype, a technique that allowed him to create an exotic background with a minimum of description."

Which, I would argue, is what many writers, artists, coders, and designers have done since, not least those who are engaged in the ongoing creation of the Forgotten Realms. In addition to what Louinet wrote about geographical and historical shorthand, there's also a great "unstuck in time" quality in Hyboria and the Realms that allows stand-ins for Renaissance Italian city-states to exist hard by analogues for 1st Century BCE Celtic tribes, who may find themselves in conflict with a roving band of warriors from a culture based on 15th Century CE Ethiopia.

Which is, of course, awesome. Or even "kewl."

So, I was thinking about this when I came across this line in the discussion of Baldur's Gate's tremendous population growth since the Spellplague: "Those who pay attention to such things in Faerûn refer to the phenomenon as 'the Baldur's Gate Miracle.'"

Which immediately made me think, as I'm sure the line was designed to, of "the Mexican Miracle." And that's when I realized that Baldur's Gate is now the Ciudad de México of the Realms, or at least can be productively understood that way. And moreover, that just as Mexico City has spent the last hundred years becoming itself while staying itself, so has Baldur's Gate, and so have the Realms.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  16:37:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn.....
Now my characters with will have to get some kind of breathing filters and carry their own water when going to Baldur's Gate!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  17:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Well, Mexico City's problems have been simultaneously over and under-reported, I think. Don't forget that it's one of the oldest cities in the world, it may be the largest, and it's fantastically diverse (it probably has the best fine dining restaurants in the hemisphere, for example).

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  17:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take it you've been there?

I'm dying to go to Cozumel, myself (or the desert areas).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Aug 2008 17:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  18:41:36  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Heh. Well, Mexico City's problems have been simultaneously over and under-reported, I think. Don't forget that it's one of the oldest cities in the world, it may be the largest, and it's fantastically diverse (it probably has the best fine dining restaurants in the hemisphere, for example).

When you say "One of the oldest cities in the world" are you talking about pre-Spanish era?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  18:43:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he is, since Mexico City was built upon ruins of older cities.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  19:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the tourism bureau would rather you say up from the bones rather than upon the ruins. ;)

And alas, I've never been there. I'm just fascinated with it. The only place in Mexico I've spent significant time in so far is San Miguel de Allende.

Go to Top of Page

Arilou
Acolyte

Sweden
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  00:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Arilou's Homepage Send Arilou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Det sägs att ovan molnen är himlen alltid blå.
Men det kan vara svårt att tro när man inte ser det.
Och det sägs att efter regnet kommer solen fram igen.
Men det hjälper sällan dem som har blivit våta.
För när vännerna försvinner.
Eller kärleken tar slut.
Ser man allt med lite andra ögon.
Man övar sig och långsamt blir man bättre på att se.
Skillnad mellan sanningar och lögner."
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris,

All similarities aside, I am sure that Baldur's Gate has better drinking water.

quote:

Here's another reason I like the the Realms in general and the 4E Realms in particular. The freedom from any anxiety of influence.

I've had one of those Dirk Gently kinds of experiences recently where seemingly disparate things start interconnecting in interesting ways. Well, interesting to me, anyway.

Three things I've read fairly recently are the FRCG, Patrice Louinet's introduction to the first Conan volume in Ballantine/Del Rey's fantastic Illustrated Robert E. Howard Library, and some of the cronicas in The Mexico City Reader.

You can probably hear the conversation these texts entered into most easily if I just pull out some quotes.

From Louinet's essay:

quote:
"The creation of a self-coherent universe was the perfect solution to Howard's needs and aspirations. His decision to people his Hyborian Age with Cimmerians, Vanirs, Nemedians and Afghulis, thinly-disguised names borrowed from history or legendry, was never really understood. Years later, Lovecraft would take Howard to task for this: "the only flaw in this stuff is R.E.H.'s incurable tendency to devise names too closely resembling actual names—names which, for us, have a very different set of associations…" [But Lovecraft failed to understand that by] carefully choosing names that resembled those found in our history and legendry, Howard wanted to ensure that no reader would be left wondering what a Turanian looked like, or be unaware that his Vanir and Æsir lived in the north parts of the world. By telescoping history and geography to create a universe that was new and yet familiar, Howard was deliberately striving for efficacy and stereotype, a technique that allowed him to create an exotic background with a minimum of description."

Which, I would argue, is what many writers, artists, coders, and designers have done since, not least those who are engaged in the ongoing creation of the Forgotten Realms. In addition to what Louinet wrote about geographical and historical shorthand, there's also a great "unstuck in time" quality in Hyboria and the Realms that allows stand-ins for Renaissance Italian city-states to exist hard by analogues for 1st Century BCE Celtic tribes, who may find themselves in conflict with a roving band of warriors from a culture based on 15th Century CE Ethiopia.

Which is, of course, awesome. Or even "kewl."

So, I was thinking about this when I came across this line in the discussion of Baldur's Gate's tremendous population growth since the Spellplague: "Those who pay attention to such things in Faerûn refer to the phenomenon as 'the Baldur's Gate Miracle.'"

Which immediately made me think, as I'm sure the line was designed to, of "the Mexican Miracle." And that's when I realized that Baldur's Gate is now the Ciudad de México of the Realms, or at least can be productively understood that way. And moreover, that just as Mexico City has spent the last hundred years becoming itself while staying itself, so has Baldur's Gate, and so have the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Chris,
All similarities aside, I am sure that Baldur's Gate has better drinking water.

I dunno. Both pretty much untreated, right?

(In all seriousness, the folks at WaterAid do important work in addressing what will continue to be one of the biggest problems we're facing here in the "RW.")

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arilou
Maybe a poem in Swedish?

Arilou, I'm sorry but my googlefu is week and machine translation into English is crappy even for the Romance languages. But I'd be really interested in knowing what that says!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  14:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(In all seriousness, the folks at WaterAid do important work in addressing what will continue to be one of the biggest problems we're facing here in the "RW.")

That's a good cause. Perhaps later I'll donate to it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000