Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 B-series in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  01:36:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I must admit that I am not comfortable with rewriting what other people write, so I would like some input on how/where to include the notes from your versions Asgetrion and Crazedventurer.

I think you have done an excellent job Jorkens, a very thorough and encompassing summary of all the relevant posts and info from the module. Well done!

A few minor points:
Should Gargauth be Ghaunadar? I thought Ghaunadar's symbol was an eye?

If I was to run it in the current realms (c1370DR or so)
Having reread the Dragonkings Eye from VGtaTM, I would definately make this the gem for the adventure - it resolves the issue of the various disparate monsters (its monster summoning ability) and can be assumed to have been used by the elves to protect their lands by summoning beasts to slay intruders (unknowing to them the Eye is evil!) and using the eye has the chance of a wild magic effect.

The explanation for the ruination to the surrounding land is because it has created a wild magic area (in this case drying up all the moisture in the soil, so the vegetaion slowly perishes).

Using the Eye also helps to explain the white dragon and the knight. We know that Garagos is 'duty bound' to destroy the dragonking residing in the gem, so the incongruity of a white dragon and dragon rider is lessened. The knight is (potentially) a powerful warrior/cleric of Garagos with his white dragon mount a familiar/cohort/follower/dominated and forced into service beast and they are both there to do Garagos' bidding after the elves unleased the power of the Gem's wild magic (therefore alerting Garagos to its whereabouts). Garagos is CN, so it is not a huge step to a CE White Dragon. (I personally prefer using Garagos to Auril if using the theory above - alternatively as discussed previously have the Dragon and Knight members of the Cult of the Dragon and make them Auril Worshippers - the Cult want the Gem destroyed as well for their owm reasons).

The Dragonking is described as an 8 legged dragon beast - sounds like a demonic greater basilisk to me which nicely explains why the all powerful elves are not destroying the gem (they are all petrified!)

Re the hook to get the PC's involved - Aubaerus the Ravenmaster (Heirophant of Silvanus) seems a logical choice to me if the adventure is set in and around Cormyr. Though i would use a servant of his to get the PC's involved, and not have the Ravenmaster himself turn up!

Re the immortal - why not make it a Sword Herald? (detailed in Volo's Guide to Cormyr). This explains the 'power' level of the individual and fits nicely into your 'hideyhole theory' as well.

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the read and the plot hooks you added in fleshing out some of the NPC's/items etc and the potential to use them.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 23 Aug 2008 09:49:20
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  03:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Jorkens!

I will read it properly through tomorrow, but even at a brief glance it looks great!

BTW, to echo Damian's words, didn't Dragonking's Eye appear in Ed's novel 'Stormlight', which takes place in Firefall Vale, in Cormyr? Hmmm...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  09:57:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should of course be Ghaunadar. For some reason I seemed to remember the Shield of the Knights Of the Shield having the eye as a symbol. On the other hand Garagauth would work just as well. I will look into it and differentiate the two a bit more.

As for the Dragonkings Eye, the problem is that if you run the adventure with the artifact as shown in the rules this becomes an adventure for a higher level party. I would maybe have the gem being a sort of mirror or shadow of the item. I am not thinking D&D rules here. I am thinking of some sort of incarnation made of a small part of the Dragonkings Eye, but one that if left uncontrolled can grow in power. Both suggestions should be included I think.

This will also lead us to the question of the Wand family, who are supposed to guard the artifact.

Now its been ten to fifteen years since I read Stormlight, so I cant remember if the artifact played a part in the book.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  12:04:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To throw some more sand into the box for us all to play with, to whit what the 'eye' actually is, what is in it and how to destroy it:

Cheers

Damian

The Eye is a ‘prison’ not rooted in Faerun, the gem merely acts as the ‘walls of the prison’, with the extra-dimensional space that holds the prisoner contained within (the gem is a window looking into another place/plane/world if you like). Over time the ‘window’ becomes brittle and the essence of the prisoner leaks out (hence sowing the chaos of the adventure), so to stop this, the prison the door must be opened (the gem shattered) and the prisoner confronted.

Adventure idea: The PC's must shatter the gem to stop the prisoner/arik so the solution is based on the idea of series magic. That is when ‘lesser’ magics are combined in order they exponentially become more powerful. So in this case to shatter the ‘eye of arik’ the following needs to be done.

The Sword (see below) breaches the barrier between the worlds of Faerun and the Prison i.e. the sword must strike the gem. As per the adventure the white dragon must then breathe upon the gem (this makes it very very cold and very very brittle), finally the Harp (see below) must be played and the lowest note plucked to shatter the gem into millions of tiny fragments.

(obviously when you ‘open the door’ you are inviting the prisoner to escape/attack you, the DM must decide appropriate actions taken by the prisoner at this stage)

To make the Harp and Sword more Realmsian, I suggest the following. Both items drawn from FR4 The Magister (I have typed up the pertinent info).

(Harp of Ice)
Esheen’s Harp: The tones of this harp cause all glass and metal within 3" to ring and resonate, “singing along with” the playing of the harp: an eerie and attention-getting effect. When the harp-player plucks the lowest string on the harp, any glass or metal objects up to 3" distant that the end of the body of the harp is pointing at must save versus “crushing blow” or shatter instantly into tiny shards. This path of effect is approximately 1' wide.

(Ariks Bane)
Syrar’s Silver Sword
This +1 silver weapon employs a combination of spells devised by the archmage Syrar. These magics allow the blade to breach the barriers between planes in much the same manner as a cockatrice and similar animals do. Thus, it can strike targets on the astral and ethereal planes which are susceptible to magical weapon attacks.

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  12:19:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re the White Dragon and links with Faerun. If we use the idea that they are the Dragons of the North and are working against the Cult of the Dragon (who want the Eye for their own schemes) perhaps these are the Dragons that are descended from the Hoarfen (see GHoTR -323 and -327 DR for the entries).

Just a thought

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  14:47:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling that we are going to get a very long text. My part alone is about seven pages by this time. The ideas looks good, are you using them in your part or should I write them into the main text?

The prison idea has huge possibilities and could be varied in numerous forms to fit with whatever form the adventure takes.

I will take a look through The Magister a little later to check out the background of the harp and the sword and see if I get any more ideas from their backgrounds. If all three are needed to destroy the gem together they should have some common tie or point of interest.

One question though. If the dragons of the north are worried, why do they send a white dragon, the least intelligent and least trustworthy of their kin? Also, where does the knight fit in with their plans? He could of course be made into a renegade member of the Cult who has agreed to work in their service.

Any one else who thinks of anything, don't be afraid to chime in.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:26:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thinking again. The harp is a Myth Drannor harp, it could be used to give some hints of future adventures and to introduce the story of the city to the players. I would not tie the gem itself to the city, it would be a bit to much.

One thing of note; if this is still used as a low level adventure the two items are a bit powerful for players, but its not difficult to base the adventure around a mid-level party. The differences between editions makes it to difficult for 1-3level parties in all other versions than Basic anyway.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  04:56:33  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Ok, so the title seems a little strange, but I couldn't find a better way of saying it.

Has any of you used the old B series of adventures from OD&D in the Realms? I was planning to reuse them some time soon and just got curious about other peoples experience with these.

The last time I used them I placed most of them in the mountains around Cormyr and the areas around. I am wondering if maybe the Moonsea could be an alternative this time. Hillsfar under the old council could be a good "safe area" as I used Arabel and Tilverton earlier.

I am looking forward to running these adventures again. It has been years now and reading them again I remember how much fun it was the last time.

I can see B-2 The Keep on the Borderlands working very well in the mountains around Cormyr.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000