Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 1st/2nd ed New Moonshae Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  18:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am going to be starting a new campaign in the Moonshaes soon. I am dating it to 1344DR (the year before Darkwalker on Moonshae). Anyone have any ideas on beginning adventures for a 1st level party in the Moonshaes and how to incorporate them into the Darkwalker War?

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  19:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could always start them off as a patrol or caravan guard, maybe do a couple of trips involving northmen raids or some smaller incidents that tie into the events in the novels.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  22:48:46  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure for lvls 1-3,

-a single, drunk, Tempus worshipping, very strong, broadsword wielding, berserker Northeman is goin on a vicious rampage in the neighborhood of the party

-a would-be plesant night of taking the lady to the tavern becomes a collective drunken stupor of a barfight, w/everyone against everyone!

-Nelanther pirates have crashed the bay, and are running amock all throughout the city (think the scenes near the beginning of the first PotC movie, but w/o the pirates being curst variants!!)

-A bunch of inventory from the local adventuring store was stolen by pirates, whose docked ship was stolen from a legit trading priokos (and thus the pirates are pretending to be of that priokos). The local authorities won't help, due to the store owner being falsely accused of 'crying wolf' in times past + the legitimacy of what the pirates appear to be, thus the store owner needs ppl who he can trust to get his stuff back, before the ship leaves the island!

-an "accidental" murder at an archery shooting range that oughta be investigated, prefaced by a backstory, and battle that ensued prior to the murder

-a local butcher's hunter employee has gotten sick, and supply is low, and thus the butcher puts up an "Adventuring Help Wanted" sign up, and the party responds. The task is to go to the moor NW of Caer Corwell to hunt game

-while on the hunt, the party encounters a lone, very badly injured, outcast firbolg giant, who is nigh unto death and in need of immediate aid.

And b/c firbolg giants live in the enchanted Myrloch Vale, you can decide how to (eventually) get the party involved in the Darkwalker War, therafter deciding the backstory of the injured firbolg giant that the party encounters.

Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  16:27:52  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bladeinAmn has some great ideas there. I would add, grab yourself a copy of the 2e Villians Handbook and Heroes Handbook (sorry if those titles are incorrect. I have them boxed away ready to move house)for all the info of the NPCs from the Monnshae novels. That is if you don't have them already.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  17:13:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the top of my head:

Are the players going to use Ffolk or northmen? A mixed group would have to deal with the attitudes of both cultural groups.

Raids from one group or the other might be an idea and a good way of bringing the group together. Especially if the raiders are themselves attached by sahuagin or firbolgs, forcing the two groups to cooperate.

Zealots of foreign gods willing to do anything to convert the worshippers of the Earth mother might be a good idea, especially if they are worshippers of a non-evil god, thereby giving the players some unforeseen opponents.

A Faerie Dragon trick can lead to the players being lost in the interior of Myrloc's Vale or even in the plane of faerie.

A trader in books arrives in town and starts kidnapping people for the slave markets of the south. I seam to remember a parchment-like creature called Palimpsest (I think) that can capture people inside itself. He/she might also be an agent of the Shadow thieves looking for a new base to operate from.

Many of the minor kingdoms that were destroyed during the wars might be a good setting. Here you can mix court intrigues with the hints of Bhaal's agents starting their work.

A good idea might be to get your hands on FA1 Halls of the High King and plunder it for adventure ideas. The module itself is for mid-levels, but there is more than enough rumours and minor plots you can work into low level adventures.

Edited by - Jorkens on 22 Aug 2009 08:52:44
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  04:28:31  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get your hands on the "Old Grey Box" if you can. It can help with the feel of the realms at that time and I know that if you are a true realms fan, that you would love it!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  18:43:59  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there's an adventure from Dungeon that involves protecting dog-sled carried supplies over a dangerous route. The cover was dark blue and had an ice creature on it.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  22:08:45  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

I know there's an adventure from Dungeon that involves protecting dog-sled carried supplies over a dangerous route. The cover was dark blue and had an ice creature on it.

That would be "Mertylmane's Road", in Dungeon Magazine #76.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  03:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where there any adventure modules set in the Moonshaes?

Cheers,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  07:03:06  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Cheers,

Not sure about 3rd Ed, but for 2nd Ed, there was FA1-Halls of the High King, which was set just after the Time of Troubles.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  12:20:32  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth
Not sure about 3rd Ed, but for 2nd Ed, there was FA1-Halls of the High King, which was set just after the Time of Troubles.

Which is a must buy.

This is how all sourcebook/module should have been, a cracking adventure with lots of hooks within it and pages of lore and future adventure posibilites and lots of other DM goodies (NPC backgrounds, spells, monsters, clack, cults etc etc etc).

If you only buy one thing from a previous edition this is the one.

Ahhh can you imagine how good the Haunted Halls product would have been had been a 64/96 page product rather than a 32?

Hats off to Ed for cramming so much into the Halls of the High King

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  17:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Cheers,

Thanks for the tip.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000