Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  17:06:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the Sea of Corynactis could be located on Abeir now?

That would make the Shalarin from there...

Just a thought... stop flinging stuff aat me!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  17:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My question is: Galzeth "Blackcloak" Orlynd of Blackcloak's Fine Pottery in Priapurl is a member of which organisation?

Product citation needed for a correct answer.

-- George Krashos

He was a Harper! At least, according to page 71 of my copy of The Code of the Harpers he was. If that changed in subsequent lore I haven't gotten that far in the long catch-up yet.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  08:54:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done Christopher, the floor is yours.

I've decided more recently to ask questions on this thread that lead people to oft-forgotten lore. That roster of Harpers and Harper friends is an absolute goldmine of realmslore.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  09:01:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. I often referenced that particular listing while running my heavily-oriented "Harpers in Calimshan" campaign about five years ago. It's a shame some of those tidbits weren't fully followed up elsewhere in the Realmslore.

On the plus side though, it gave me the chance to plot out my own course for a few of them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  12:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the lore we do not often refer to, what about 4E FR questions ?
Do we still limit the quizz to pre 4E FR ?
Maybe you already answered it and I missed it. So I apologize for that

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  13:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, cool. (Y'know I missed it if there was a rules change to the game declaring some editions okay and some not, can somebody clarify that?)

Here's my question.

This "sixth son of minor nobility from the North" spent decades adventuring in Cormyr and the Dalelands, seeing his last major action in the tumult leading up to and following the death of Azoun IV. What was his name, and where did you find it?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  13:54:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Cool, cool. (Y'know I missed it if there was a rules change to the game declaring some editions okay and some not, can somebody clarify that?)

When the challenge was started, 4E wasn't even out yet. I ruled it out because no one had it, and I wanted to wait until people had a chance to get it.

That is no longer the case.

So 4E questions are now being allowed.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  14:00:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well done Christopher, the floor is yours.

I've decided more recently to ask questions on this thread that lead people to oft-forgotten lore. That roster of Harpers and Harper friends is an absolute goldmine of realmslore.

-- George Krashos

I prefer going back to the older material, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo Thann is the sixth son of Rhammas and Cassandra, he comes from the North (Waterdeep !) and

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  15:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, hey, this is interesting. What do we do if more than one answer fits? In this case, I'm not positive it does (I don't know enough about how and where Danilo Thann "saw his last action"), but it might. He's not the guy I've got in mind, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  15:59:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Oh, hey, this is interesting. What do we do if more than one answer fits? In this case, I'm not positive it does (I don't know enough about how and where Danilo Thann "saw his last action"), but it might. He's not the guy I've got in mind, anyway.

Does the answer fit? I don't recall Danilo spending "decades adventuring in Cormyr and the Dalelands"...

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  16:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for this unfinished proposal fellow scribes.
God of electricity decided to switch my house off !
I'm back !

I totally agree with both of you (of course). That's just that Dan would fit for the first part of the question and that he is written about in the Code of Harpers, the source where Christopher found the last answer !
That's all.

And of course the question still runs...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  16:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will get it !
Excuse-me for this multi-posting but my PC did not like the stop-and-go using and try to make me understand it !!

So, the adventurer that Christopher asked about could be Gurrand Rannar. I read about him in Into the Dragon's Lair

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  21:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go back to my training course.
If my answer was the right one, I let the floor to the first scribe who wants it.

Read you on next Saturday.
I already miss the forums.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  21:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know whether Danilo fit or not, WR, 'cause I don't know much about the guy! But, Fillow's second answer is correct! But since he's disappearing back into training land I suppose somebody else will need to step up?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  00:32:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been a while since I asked a question...

This "cheerfully rowdy dance hall" is known for its exotic dancers, which include a female tabaxi and a female centaur, and for a back room, where male dancers -- including satyrs -- dance for the enjoyment of women. Name this tavern.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Mar 2009 00:33:06
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  01:42:42  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answers found, scribes:

That's the Velvet Mail in Mistledale
o' most furry of hamsters.

Okay, my turn:
There is at least one confirmed ingrediant in Forgotten
Realms lore on the creation of a Weave mythrallar,
what is it?

Edited by - althen artren on 16 Mar 2009 01:50:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  03:48:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Answers found, scribes:

That's the Velvet Mail in Mistledale
o' most furry of hamsters.

Velvet Veil. Close enough.
Pages 185-6 of Volo's Guide to the Dalelands.

quote:

Okay, my turn:
what is it?

Magic!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Mar 2009 03:49:32
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  16:44:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*SIGGGHHHHH*

Oh, yes, furriest of rodents.

However, that wasn't the ingrediant I have in mind.
Wait.....
Its almost right, could you be a little more
specific?
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  18:28:34  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavy Magic?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  21:19:35  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Friend Knight:

While that is a possibility, that is not an ingrediant that
I have seen actually named in the literature.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  18:12:56  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint:

In the Anthology for Return Archwizards it is said
in 1 short story.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  18:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Althen, you wrote mythrallar. I would have written mythallar (according to the French way it was transslated).
I was wrong ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  20:15:57  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not sure.

didn't have the spelling in front of me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  01:00:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mythallar is the correct spelling.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2009 :  20:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will try to ask if the expression "obsidian mythallar" means that the item is made of obsidian stone or if it means that mythallar just looks like an obsidian stone?...

I read this expression in the late Chapter thirteen of The Sorcerer.

EDIT : I've to go for the week. Read you on next Friday !

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 22 Mar 2009 20:20:35
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  02:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, my turn:
what is it?

"Long strands of the weave itself" - p30 Realms of Shadow?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  17:38:30  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bingo!

We have a "wiener"

The floor is yours, ifthir.
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  22:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The floor is yours, ifthir.

What book is the below from?

"Mages are superior to other morals for they alone have felt, raw and unfettered by the guiding hands of deities, the power that moves and gives life to all things. It is right that wizards rule."

Note: By this, I mean the book in game, and you can reference the out of game one to prove it!

Edited by - Ifthir on 23 Mar 2009 22:35:51
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  13:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sammaster the Mad said that. is it the book of the cult of the dragons?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000