Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge 2.0
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  13:59:35  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tome of the Dragon

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  15:06:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Portella's right??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  03:27:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe you meant 'mortals'.

I remember that quote from something I re-read just last month, but I re-read so much I couldn't possibly remember which book in a million years.

Edit: and once again the page-update problem here has me answering something three posts too late.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Mar 2009 03:28:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  06:22:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Edit: and once again the page-update problem here has me answering something three posts too late.

Aye. I've alerted Alaundo to this problem popping up again -- since it's occurring rather frequently in Ed's scroll too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  16:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay do you want to ask then? i dont mind.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  19:38:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No no no... I already stated that I had no idea where it was from, even though I do indeed remember reading it.

Eagerly awaiting the next question.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  12:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question:

From the ancient legends of Mystryl what does the Spine of the world, the Great Glacier, Vilhon Reach and Moonshaes have in common to very few and rare historians know about the first three and the last one is only known to the high mages of evermeet.

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 27 Mar 2009 12:35:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  15:02:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They never got their own sourcebook in 3e?

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  16:24:45  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Question:

From the ancient legends of Mystryl what does the Spine of the world, the Great Glacier, Vilhon Reach and Moonshaes have in common to very few and rare historians know about the first three and the last one is only known to the high mages of evermeet.

I feel hard to understand the question !

Would this rephrasing be correct :
" The Spine of the world, the Great Glacier, Vilhon Reach and Moonshaes have something in common ? This is known by some rare historians about the first three locations. And about the Moonshaes, only the High mage of Evermeet knows it " ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  18:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok i will rephrase.

In ancient Mystryl legends drawn up in times long past, the spine of the world, the great glacier and vilhon reach had and still have something in common that is only know to few historians and archmages. However there is another place the moonshaes which is part of the same legends that only the high mages of evermeet would know or even be able to recall.

One clue:

There is a guardian in one of the places, a dragon.

The answer will be in one of the 2ed books.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  21:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ok i will rephrase.

In ancient Mystryl legends drawn up in times long past, the spine of the world, the great glacier and vilhon reach had and still have something in common that is only know to few historians and archmages. However there is another place the moonshaes which is part of the same legends that only the high mages of evermeet would know or even be able to recall.

One clue:

There is a guardian in one of the places, a dragon.

The answer will be in one of the 2ed books.

I think you might be talking about the time gates described on page 14 of The Winds of Netheril, the campaign guide in the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  15:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah so you are right. the floor is yours.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  16:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks Portella.

And here we go.

This assassin did not cause the death of a member of the court of Lord Nasher, but it was his expertise that identified the cause of death. He realized that a tome the courtier had just handled was trapped with a needle coated with a deadly insinuative poison. Who is he, and where did you hear of him?

Cheers,

Christopher

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  11:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The assassin Nathode
Dragon 62

"Nchaser’s Eiyromancia” Appearance: This tome is thin, bound in black leather, and bears the title Eiyromancia on the cover, stamped and inlaid with mother-of-pearl. The edges of the tome have all about been protected with beaten copper strips, and these are fitted with two clasps. The clasps are unlatched by twisting a silver knob on each; if the bottom knob is twisted without first twisting and removing the top one, a poisoned needle springs up the side of the knob. The assassin Nathode says it is coated with Type D (or equivalent intensity) Insinuative poison, apparently renewed from a reservoir under the binding. Nathode did not handle the tome himself, but observed its effect upon another. His testimony verifies a folk legend which says that all who try to open Nchaser’s Eiyromancia die. Nathode’s recollection dates back seven winters, when the book was brought to the court of Lord Nasher by a merchant, one Furjur the Flippant, who told the Lord that the tome was sold to him by a band of adventuring dwarves he encountered in a clearing deep in the northern forests. One of the members of Nasher’s court attempted to open the book, with fatal results (this is what Nathode observed), and it was placed unopened in the Lord’s library (Furjur had gifted it to the Lord in return for a charter). It was subsequently stolen during the riots of the Five Fires Rising, and its present whereabouts are unknown."

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  13:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's correct, Portella! Man, I thought I'd come up with a tough one that time.

Anyway, not that it's a big deal, but I think you're supposed to wait five days before you answer another one, aren't you? Wooly?

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  13:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah no way so sorry just had a guick look at the start of the thread after reading your post above.. my apologies.. it wont happen again.

Please ask another one and i promise i will keep out.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  20:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah no way so sorry just had a guick look at the start of the thread after reading your post above.. my apologies.. it wont happen again.

Please ask another one and i promise i will keep out.

Heck, it's not big deal. I'm not sure whether I should ask another one or you should, or we should throw it to a third party or what. Hopefully a mod will weigh in.

Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  21:57:53  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no no i must say, you should ask another one... it was my bad for not reading the rules.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  22:43:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't we just throw the questioning open, for the moment, for whoever gets to it next? I'll wait several hours, myself, and then I'll put forth a question if no one else has.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  00:33:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a question ready. But I'm nowhere near my books at the moment. So I'll leave it to another scribe.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  01:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll jump back in, if nobody minds. And I'll even provide a clue right off the bat!

Question: Where does the trader Berrek Wyvernmere make his home?

And the clue relates to the able answer to my last query, and is simply this: A coder will find the answer if he does a sum; simply add the (decimal) square root of 11101111010000100 to Portella's source.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:42:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to pipe up here and note that Furjur the Flippant (in Portella's answer, above) is ANOTHER of Ed's unjustly neglected original Realms NPCs. Like Sammereza Sulphontis and Mirt and Durnan, an eccentric, bent merchant trader of great interest, whose life story I hope we all get to hear/read more of, some day.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  03:50:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Well, I'll jump back in, if nobody minds. And I'll even provide a clue right off the bat!

And the clue relates to the able answer to my last query, and is simply this: A coder will find the answer if he does a sum; simply add the (decimal) square root of 11101111010000100 to Portella's source.

11101111010000100 = 122500
The square root of that is 350.
350+62=412

Uh... Dragon 412?

I don't think math is the best way to give someone a clue...

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  12:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

11101111010000100 = 122500
The square root of that is 350.
350+62=412

Uh... Dragon 412?

I don't think math is the best way to give someone a clue...

Hah! At least not when you were an English major! I was trying to get to Dragon 362, not Dragon 412! Sorry!

Cheers,

Christopher

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 31 Mar 2009 12:47:39
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  05:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hah! At least not when you were an English major! I was trying to get to Dragon 362, not Dragon 412! Sorry!

Cheers,

Christopher

I would have said that Berrek Wyvernmere is quoted in Dragon 372 and not in Dragon 362. Don't you agree ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  12:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the heartbreak of innumeracy! Yes! Now just give the title of the article and end my pain!

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

[quote]Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Cheers,

Christopher

I would have said that Berrek Wyvernmere is quoted in Dragon 372 and not in Dragon 362. Don't you agree ?
[/quote

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  15:06:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's the heartbreak of innumeracy! Yes! Now just give the title of the article and end my pain!

No more math-based clues, please.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  20:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quizz seems near to be out of breath...

So the question was
Where does the trader Berrek Wyvernmere make his home?

I propose the city of Tarmalune, which is described in the Dragon issue 372, p.46 to 60.

If this answer is the one Christopher was waiting for, the floor is available for another scribe to ask the next question.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  22:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct!

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

The quizz seems near to be out of breath...

So the question was
Where does the trader Berrek Wyvernmere make his home?

I propose the city of Tarmalune, which is described in the Dragon issue 372, p.46 to 60.

If this answer is the one Christopher was waiting for, the floor is available for another scribe to ask the next question.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  03:36:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the floor is open then. Thanks Fillow, I will give it a go.

_____________, a Gnome Elf-friend, snuck a glance at this_____________
and is rewarded with a deep understanding of how to cast illusion spells
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000